PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats acquire LB Prescott Burgess from Ravens for cond. 7th [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a write up from the 2007 draft:

Prescott Burgess - FootballsFuture.com NFL Draft Profile

Prescott Burgess LB 6'3 240 Michigan 4.85
By: Robert Davis
Burgess was a highly sought after safety in high school that moved to linebacker once he landed in Ann Arbor. He did not have much of an impact as he adjusted to the switch as a freshman, but started to come around as a sophomore. In 2004, he had 27 tackles and an interception in a reserve role. As a junior, he started on the outside and finished with a career high 81 tackles, four for loss, with one sack and one pick. As a senior this year, Burgess was credited with 48 tackles, 6.5 for loss, with three sacks and two picks.

Burgess is a very solid linebacker that brings a lot of versatility to the field. After being recruited as a safety, he has spent time at both inside and outside linebacker during his career. He has good size, and has proven to be a big hitter in college. He will lay people out whenever the opportunity presents itself. He is a good athlete with good quickness and shows the ability to play in space and cover.

He moves well in short areas, but Burgess does not have the closing speed to run down or finish plays. This keeps him from being the playmaker that his combination of size, athleticism and hitting ability would suggest.

Burgess is a player that could fill a lot of roles in the NFL. He projects best at outside linebacker and could be a very good NFL linebacker. He probably will not make a lot of big plays, but he is a player that is consistent and solid all around.

He has good size, and has proven to be a big hitter in college. He will lay people out whenever the opportunity presents itself. He is a good athlete with good quickness and shows the ability to play in space and cover.

Alright, that sounds pretty good to me.

Here's hoping he could be a Pat reclamation project success story.

Darnit! One week too late. :confused2:

Sorry if I missed anything, does this have anything to do with Mayo being out for a while.

Ok, Burgess a 6th round 2007 who has been injured for most of his two years. He is in his last year. I can't see why we have interest unless we want to know more about BALT defenses.

Sure, there is a chance that he is a better special teamer than those we put on the field. It does seem unlikely.

The PFW draft guide says he's hardworking, competitive, and hustles all the time. A converted safety that still had to learn to play the position and not as strong or physical as you would like for the position.

Is that the bio for Prescott Burgess or Eric Alexander?

Pats GOT another LB from Raven

Extra Points - New England Patriots News and Analysis - Boston.com

Patriots have made a trade to boost their linebacker depth, acquiring inside linebacker Prescott Burgess from the Baltimore Ravens, according to an NFL source.
The Patriots sent a conditional seventh-round pick to the Ravens for Burgess.
The 6-foot, 3-inch, 247-pound Burgess was a sixth-round draft pick of the Ravens in 2007. He played in eight games as a rookie before being placed on injured reserve with a hip injury. He didn't play last season and was placed on injured reserve prior to the start of the season with a shoulder injury.
This year Burgess, 25, has played in both of Baltimore's first two games and been credited with two tackles, both on special teams.

I was being sarcastic. Those who frequent the draft section should already know where I stand on Woodley.

Woodley is fine as a pass rushing one gap LBer....

Or the Pats approached the Ravens in the past about him and the Ravens went back to the Pats now that they were going to cut him.
Or the Pats went to the Ravens thinking he wasn't going to get through waivers.
Or the Ravens just went to the Pats and told them their LBs suck.

I choose curtain #3, Monty.

The Patriots now have a number of young ex-wolverine LB's. To bad they didn't draft the one LB from Michigan who could have helped the most... LaMarr Woodley. He's much to short, stiff, and bulky to play 34 OLB though.

Who needs LaMarr Woodley - and David Harris - when we have Pierre Woods & Chicken Legs?

Is that the bio for Prescott Burgess or Eric Alexander?

No kidding. Isn't it bad enough that we already have one Effin Alexander on the team? Now we have to have two of them?

There you go again, Bill, throwing away draft picks...on more crap.

No kidding. Isn't it bad enough that we already have one Effin Alexander on the team? Now we have to have two of them?

Well, it is a conditional pick.
What that condition is, I have no idea...
-Jamman

For the cost of a 7th rounder it's obviously a low risk move, but perhap we should have moved some picks for some other higher caliber prospect, though financial considerations with the cap will have prevented many options on the table.

Burgess can be used to give Guyton a blow in the 4-3, and to keep Thomas outside in the 3-4.

We still have over $5M in cap space, I'd rather bag a real LB, and over pay if needed to get him. Our LB corps was thin with Mayo, it's cupboard bare time w/o him, Burgess or no.

There isn't much we can do on the O side that will be cheap. A back-up for Brady isn't needed. Unless he gets into a rhythm by week 6, and stays healthy the best backup QB in the world will get us no place.

A #7 draft pick is not much of an investment. We should get a
couple of #7 compensatory picks to replace that pick. The poorer
investment may be the #3 pick and #5 pick invested in Derrick Burgess.
He wasn't used very much the last game.

I fear that you may be right about Derrick Burgess, of whom I also didn't see much, if any, on Sunday. But hey, he's just getting acclimated...to losing 1-on-1 battles all of the time.

For the cost of a 7th rounder it's obviously a low risk move, but perhap we should have moved some picks for some other higher caliber prospect, though financial considerations with the cap will have prevented many options on the table.

Everything is a financial consideration. This is why Wilfork, Mankins,

and even Brady are short timers.

Woodley is fine as a pass rushing one gap LBer....

I realize that is the system he plays in, but with his tackling ability, power, intelligence, and good size/speed ratio, I can't see how he wouldn't have been successful in NE. LaMarr isn't simply a pass rusher for Pitt either, as he's made some good plays while out in coverage, as well. I'm sure you don't need the reminder, but NE's played more 4-3 of late, and I think he could have been effective as a pass rushing 4-3 DE in NE, but I have a feeling BB's only using the 4-3 because he doesn't have the linebackers you need to run a top level 3-4, and Woodley would have likely been an upgrade over Woods, Crable, and Burgess at OLB. However, there's no sense in crying over missed opportunities. I only brought Woodley up because I thought it was kind of interesting that NE now owns the rights to a number of young Wolverine LB's, and the two they passed up (Woodley and Harris) have been the most successful of the group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes