PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats acquire LB Prescott Burgess from Ravens for cond. 7th [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that is the system he plays in, but with his tackling ability, power, intelligence, and good size/speed ratio, I can't see how he wouldn't have been successful in NE. LaMarr isn't simply a pass rusher for Pitt either, as he's made some good plays while out in coverage, as well. I'm sure you don't need the reminder, but NE's played more 4-3 of late, and I think he could have been effective as a pass rushing 4-3 DE in NE, but I have a feeling BB's only using the 4-3 because he doesn't have the linebackers you need to run a top level 3-4, and Woodley would have likely been an upgrade over Woods, Crable, and Burgess at OLB.

Seb - one of the things that we, as fans, don't know is how Woodley did in his interviews and in the film room with BB. If the Pats didn't feel he could handle the 2 gap scheme or if he didn't impress BB with his intelligence, or if he showed an attitude that BB felt would be detrimental to the team, then he wasn't brought in. This is something we'll never know.

I am sure we'd all love to have our binkies on the team, but it doesn't happen.. And those binkies go to other teams and have great careers and we are left wondering what might have been.. The issue is that we're not the coach. We're not the ones who would have to work with that player every day for 3-6 years (minus a month or two here and there). And That is all part of the process. It doesn't do any good to sit and complain or pretend like you know better like some other posters do. Because no one knows what would have happened had that player been taken by the Pats. He could have flopped. And then we'd be complaining about how the player flopped (ala Jackson).

All we can do now is hope that BB has brought in someone to help them find the linebackers that they need to help rebuild this defense to its prominence.. Its started with Mayo, Guyton, Crable, and McKenzie. It needs to continue.. Oh, and the fact that Crable and McKenzie have both gotten injured has no bearing since you can't predict injuries..

Last edited:
Seb - one of the things that we, as fans, don't know is how Woodley did in his interviews and in the film room with BB. If the Pats didn't feel he could handle the 2 gap scheme or if he didn't impress BB with his intelligence, or if he showed an attitude that BB felt would be detrimental to the team, then he wasn't brought in. This is something we'll never know.

I am sure we'd all love to have our binkies on the team, but it doesn't happen.. And those binkies go to other teams and have great careers and we are left wondering what might have been.. The issue is that we're not the coach. We're not the ones who would have to work with that player every day for 3-6 years (minus a month or two here and there). And That is all part of the process. It doesn't do any good to sit and complain or pretend like you know better like some other posters do. Because no one knows what would have happened had that player been taken by the Pats. He could have flopped. And then we'd be complaining about how the player flopped (ala Jackson).

All we can do now is hope that BB has brought in someone to help them find the linebackers that they need to help rebuild this defense to its prominence.. Its started with Mayo, Guyton, Crable, and McKenzie. It needs to continue.. Oh, and the fact that Crable and McKenzie have both gotten injured has no bearing since you can't predict injuries..

I don't know if you quoted me right after I posted that response, but I added an additional comment:

However, there's no sense in crying over missed opportunities. I only brought Woodley up because I thought it was kind of interesting that NE now owns the rights to a number of young Wolverine LB's, and the two they passed up (Woodley and Harris) have been the most successful of the group.

i agree with you that woodley is not a pat and all the LB that we did not draft are not pats we got who we got

but as far as interviews and the film room i think some times coachs put to much in to that

BB said he was amazed by chad jackson in he's interview and the way he broke down the O in the film room

how did he work out for the pats

football is not that hard its run pass kick catch tackel

if you can play then you can play if you cant then you cant

i think woodley would have played good for the pats and any team in the NFL

would he put up the same numbers with the pats as he dose with the stellers no the pats dont run that kind of a D

AD was a 11 sack all pro OLB for the ravens with the pats he gets 5 sacks a year

the pats will never have that marcus ware 20 sack type player they play a band but dont brake D they dont stop the O they let the O stop them selfs

but like you said we dont have woodley we never did every one needs to get over it

Last edited:
i agree with you that woodley is not a pat and all the LB that we did not draft are not pats we got who we got

but as far as interviews and the film room i think some times coachs put to much in to that

BB said he was amazed by chad jackson in he's interview and the way he broke down the O in the film room

how did he work out for the pats

Jackson never was able to earn Brady's trust. For whatever reason. Its why he was cut after the final 53.

football is not that hard its run pass kick catch tackel

if you can play then you can play if you cant then you cant

i think woodley would have played good for the pats and any team in the NFL

Football is a lot more than just run, pass, kick, catch, tackle. Otherwise teams like the Pats wouldn't have playbooks that are 6 inches thick.

would he put up the same numbers with the pats as he dose with the stellers no the pats dont run that kind of a D

AD was a 11 sack all pro OLB for the ravens with the pats he gets 5 sacks a year

the pats will never have that marcus ware 20 sack type player they play a band but dont brake D they dont stop the O they let the O stop them selfs

but like you said we dont have woodley we never did every one needs to get over it

The Pats defense in the 3-4 is predicated on being able to get pressure from any of the 4 LBer positions. They might have been able to do that this year if they had the personnel. They felt they didn't, so they went to the 4-3 as a base, which is very similar to 2001. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats bring in more LBers in the draft and in free agency...

And I wasn't slamming Seb. When it comes to things like the draft and adding players, he's got his head on straight. He's not like other people who sit and whine about players not being on this team.

dabruinz i just seen you have over 13000 post wow how long have you been on this site

i fond this site like all most 2 years ago i only have 400 post will i did not post for a long time

but still 13000 thats cool

Its started with Mayo, Guyton, Crable, and McKenzie. It needs to continue.. Oh, and the fact that Crable and McKenzie have both gotten injured has no bearing since you can't predict injuries..

McKenzie's injury is obviously very legit and very unfortunate. But Crable's been on the IR twice - once with a "shin" and this year with a hammy. There's no way a hamstring injury is season-ending for a player who is able to contribute. History has not been kind to guys who are "stashed" on the IR for a full year, never mind 2 years. I'd say Crable is 95% towards being a bust.

Maybe he is the next Adam Seward? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots