PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Law: Pats and Law not "in agreement" over contract, but talking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real behind the scenes Ty Law negotiations:
(Meanwhile, Agent Poston is calling all 30 other NFL teams and saying the following, "The Pats had a very pleasant conversation with Ty Law and made a preliminary offer and the Jets have him coming to New York on the next plane! These two teams are so familiar with Ty's game and are going hard trying to get him. Are you gonna pass up the opportunity to sign Ty Law?")

Well if the agent isn't doing something like that, then he's not doing his job. :)

BTW it was Tanny who cut Ty, not Herm.

Last edited:
My question is how can the Jets afford to offer more than what the Pats are offering? According to cap numbers, the Jets have only 4.5M left in cap room after their free agent spending spree. The Pats have 10.8M left in cap. I'm thinking this is a bluff on the part of Law and his agent. He just wants to leverage more money from his last big deal. He must know the Jets don't have enough cap left to give him a huge offer, but he's hoping to get the Pats to outbid them, which he knows they can if they want to.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-underthecap031008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Just accept less money and come to the winning team ty!

My question is how can the Jets afford to offer more than what the Pats are offering? According to cap numbers, the Jets have only 4.5M left in cap room after their free agent spending spree. The Pats have 10.8M left in cap. I'm thinking this is a bluff on the part of Law and his agent. He just wants to leverage more money from his last big deal. He must know the Jets don't have enough cap left to give him a huge offer, but he's hoping to get the Pats to outbid them, which he knows they can if they want to.

I think the Jets plan to jettison D Rob and his big cap hit, thus freeing up $.

Winning is important, yes. But Ty has already won.

So Ty Law is not a true Hall of Famer? Ty has 52 regular season INTs with 7TDs, plus another 6 and a TD in the postseason. And three Super Bowl rings. Sorry, but Ty is a shoo-in.

While I think Law should make the HOF some day he is not a shoo-in.

becuase I have not heard of us offering anything...not to hard to make a better offer than nothing.

Let it play out, if we have intrest we will make an offer at some point. Otherwise BB didn't feel he could still get it done.

I think we had more room than KC 2 years ago too, that's doesn't really matter. Contracts can be constructed to get around 1st year cap room - if your willing to over pay bonus and craft a multi year deal to house dead cap. This FO doesn't tend to like to do that for a variety of reasons. One of which is they don't like to feed that mentality. They seem to prefer to sign players to deals they could reasonably be expected to complete. In the past Ty was inclined to want the phony bigger sounding (when the Poston's spun it) contract which because of it's length for spread purposes usually garnered him a half million or so more in up front money, although generally not much more overall than he was being offered here.

Ty hasn't earned a nickle more in the last 4 years than he would have had he taken the restructured deal they offered here in 2004. At least he doesn't seem to get all worked up any more at any team who signs him to a backloaded deal like that then cuts him...

As for his HOF status, Ty is a bubble guy today because in spite of the 10 pick pro bowl season in 2005 most mediots feel his drop off was precipitous when he left here. There was some talk a few weeks ago that this perception was weighting on his next decision too.

ive been watching Ty Law for the last 2 years here in KC.

Patriot fans, we aint talking about the Ty Law from 5 years ago. Hes not that good anymore.

Think of it this way.....If someone came up to you right now and offered you a job paying $5 more an hour at a different company, but one where your job would be exactly the same, would you be greedy for accepting the offer? No, I don't think so, and I don't think your co-workers and friends would think any less of you either.

You have to put these two scenarios in perspective. There is a huge diference between someone who earns an average salary who would get a $5/hr raise (10k per year) and a professional athlete who has earned $65-70 million in salary before the age of 40 who is going to whore himself to the highest bidder at the end of his career. Ty Law and his family do not need to work another day in thier life.

I think the Jets plan to jettison D Rob and his big cap hit, thus freeing up $.

Well don't forget that the Jets will probably have to jettison DRob just to be able to afford to pay their #6 overall pick. So I think they will still be operating under a pretty tight margin, capwise.

Does anyone know if Poteat is still unsigned?

I think I would be fine with Poteat rather then Law.

Those 10 picks in 05 were great, but he had lots of penalties that hurt the Jets also.

Last edited:
Think I just saw Law at MSG at the basketball game. My gut tells me he is going to NY. I am OK with it.

One thing that has been ignored in this thread is that Law has a good relashonship with Mangini, and not as good a one ( not bad necessarly) with BB. So he said he wanted to be on a good team, who wouldn't? Did he ever say that he would rather be on a good team than be on a team that would give him more money? Law does not have to be about the Patriots first, why should he? To say he should be would be wrong. Free agents have a right to look at all offers and go to the place that they feel is the best situation. Could be money, coaching, teamates, location, winning, or a combination of things.

One thing that has been ignored in this thread is that Law has a good relashonship with Mangini, and not as good a one ( not bad necessarly) with BB. So he said he wanted to be on a good team, who wouldn't? Did he ever say that he would rather be on a good team than be on a team that would give him more money? Law does not have to be about the Patriots first, why should he? To say he should be would be wrong. Free agents have a right to look at all offers and go to the place that they feel is the best situation. Could be money, coaching, teamates, location, winning, or a combination of things.

Law actually did intimate that, said last week he (finally) had enough money so his family was not a concern, he could retire tomorrow and he'd be fine. Said he HAD to be back on a winning team, couldn't take losing any more. Although he did then throw in the caveat that he still wouldn't play for nothing...believes he has 3-4 years left and can play at a high level...:blahblah:

One of the first acts of Mangini upon being signed in NY was to cut Ty Law prior to his option bonus that would have triggered the balance of his deal coming due.

I think at some point Ty and the Poston's became enamored of FA and playing 1-2 years of phony long term deals. Those have actually allowed him to average $6M per for the last 3 years which according to each team he played for represented an overpayment compared to his performance. He had the ten pick season in NY, but as late as November even Herm was complaining about his penalty yards and the FO seemed disappointed with his lack of concrete veteran leadership skills. On leaving KC he expressed disappointment on playing with young talent who just lacked the experience to back him up in his game.

It's a little unusual for a veteran player to have the full blown visit complete with workout and physical and leave a facility without a contract unless one wasn't offered or the player is still looking to gauge his market. That's what happened with Thomas who signed in Dallas after his visit here. Dallas was presented an offer to trump and the did. Because KC dragged their feet on his release Ty was flying under the radar aside from being rumored to be interested in returning here. Maybe he needed a favor from an old friend to create/jumpstart a market.

When he left the Meadowlands the other day his first call was another old pal, Steve Burton (who did his moving exist interview in the car on the way out of town when he left here in 2005...) who was on air on WEEI. The message was he had a great visit but he was NOT going to sign a contract just yet, the Patriots were intersted in him but he did not know if there was TIME to get a deal done. Hint, hint, show me some money... It's really almost comical since we were the first to show him some money last time out and he ended up shopping our offer for three months until he could find someone in KC willing to trump it by $500K up front. This year it seems he wants a contract pre draft, maybe because the draft is fairly deep at his position.

Ty's ego and his underlying need to tie $$ to respect were always his undoing. He's toned down the rhetoric, but at the end of the day he is what he is, a guy who needs attention and who gets more of it in FA than in season these days. Holley said the other day that he just can't run at all any more. Whether that's his own take or something he's hearing from his buddy Michael Smith or numerous NEP contacts he didn't say. Herm doesn't run a very tight veteran ship so conditioning could be a factor. Mangini reportedly runs nearly as tough a ship as the master, and there would likely have to be a solid reason <$$> for Ty to take a deal there given their recent struggles as opposed to here where winning is nearly a given. But Mangini may want him as much to help re-shape his locker room dynamic as anything and therefore be willing to re$pect him. His own vets aren't real keen on him, so he's bringing in a group of overpriced outside vets who are beholden' to him because he overpaid for them.

Bill doesn't need Ty to lead, he knows better. He'd just want him to play. And he could provide him with some pass rush and safety help that knows how to cover an aging playmakers back. It's easy to say he should go for whatever he wants, but the fact - or frustration - is that is what he said he wants.

So, maybe Brady should holdout.

After all, he's already won.

Right on, bro. I spit on the selfish greedy bastards out there. There is a reason the Pats consistently do so well, and one of them is the characters they bring into the locker room.

OTOH, maybe this is out of proportion. Screw Mangina if he is just doing this to make Law think he can get more. I hope Mangina makes him a big offer, the Pats don't match it, so the Jets are stuck with about fifty dollars left to spend in the draft.

What tells you Law has a good relationship with Mangini? What tells you he has a 'less good' relationship with BB?
Do you really have any true way of knowing that, or are you just totally assuming it to make your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3