PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Law: Pats and Law not "in agreement" over contract, but talking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. Yeah, but he wasn't a real factor in the 2004 season.

No one was saying anything about him being a factor, just that he was on the team. :rolleyes:

Ty Law is the key......the only superbowls won by NE is when Ty is on the team!!

jets are really being biznitches, they are trying to drive up the price. i really hate manguini and the jets! :violent:

I can just see mangini now doing his best to screw up the pats draft picking ahead of us.

Winning is important, yes. But Ty has already won.

So Ty Law is not a true Hall of Famer? Ty has 52 regular season INTs with 7TDs, plus another 6 and a TD in the postseason. And three Super Bowl rings. Sorry, but Ty is a shoo-in.

So, maybe Brady should holdout.

After all, he's already won.

So, maybe Brady should holdout.

After all, he's already won.

If he ever does, I wouldn't start crying about it. He's earned the right to demand as much money as he wants, same as Vinatieri, same as Ty Law, same as Deion Branch, etc.

This is a business. If you feel you are worth more than you are getting paid, then get more.

Did anyone notice the small change Reiss made in his link?

Reiss has removed a strange line from the link:

This:

Law noted that what the Patriots are currently willing to offer and what he is seeking are not "in agreement."
Was changed to this:
Law noted that the conversation did not result in an agreement.
Small but noticeable.

Maybe Reiss felt he assumed too much in the first line:confused:

Maybe Reiss felt he assumed too much in the first line:confused:

Or he was asked to change it since it seemed like he had knowledge of the Patriots offering a deal to a FA and thats a No No from the Pats.

I'll never understand why people get so insulted and throw the word "greedy" around so much when it comes to players leaving or signing better contracts with other teams. It's a business, these players are professionals, and they're in the business to make money. I just love how people squawk at players for taking a better job offer, as if you would make a different choice, since it's only a measly 1 or 2 million more per year :rolleyes:.

Think of it this way.....If someone came up to you right now and offered you a job paying $5 more an hour at a different company, but one where your job would be exactly the same, would you be greedy for accepting the offer? No, I don't think so, and I don't think your co-workers and friends would think any less of you either.

I'll never understand why people get so insulted and throw the word "greedy" around so much when it comes to players leaving or signing better contracts with other teams. It's a business, these players are professionals, and they're in the business to make money. I just love how people squawk at players for taking a better job offer, as if you would make a different choice, since it's only a measly 1 or 2 million more per year :rolleyes:.

Think of it this way.....If someone came up to you right now and offered you a job paying $5 more an hour at a different company, but one where your job would be exactly the same, would you be greedy for accepting the offer? No, I don't think so, and I don't think your co-workers and friends would think any less of you either.
No they wouldnt....but dont throw that trash around about wanting to win......then seriously look at a losing team for the money....winning teams tend to manage money very well....and one player cant have all of it....go get your money law.....leave us alone.....well be o.k. without the greedy sonofa*****....:mad:

Ty Law is about Ty Law..

Now all of the sudden the Jets who cut Law under Mangini , want him again?? its confusing.. Three times the Pats had a chance to resign him, this is the third time, and he went elsewhere.. I suspect he will do the same

Apparently, Law wasn't "insulted" when the Jets cut him and he did not see all the $ touted in his contract signing. It's not unusual to not get the late years' money, but to someone easily 'dissed' it might take on greater import. Guess not! :)

Since I haven't seen much of Ty since he went to KC to play; I'm wondering..............

IS he still considered a STARTING RIGHT SIDE (offensive rt /D left) CB??????

I loved Ty when he was with us, he was my favorite player on team and even thought he should have got mvp over brady in first SB. But he burnt those bridges long ago and now he is just another above average cb to me. And I am even wondering about his skills. I don't know that he can still hang.

I mean with our lack of depth I would still want him on the team; but BB-Pioli have to do some cap juggling this year due to Moss. so not at any price.
My gut says there is a chance if we draft a decent CB that Ty might not even be a starter by mid-season due to his aging/decline or other injury [or even end of TC; who knows?]. (All assuming he was unwilling to switch sides which I think he would not).

So do you think Ty can.....
still be a 16 game RCB starter?
Or an 8 game RCB starter or that he would be willing to switch sides, or just good depth.

I would hope he could still be a 16 game starter; but as I said I am dubious.

I think everyone is missing something here....No one knows for sure wether we offered anything to him...All that has been said is he and BB talked. But he is greedy if he goes somewhere else to look for work.

Can't anyone wait til things shake out.

jets are really being biznitches, they are trying to drive up the price. i really hate manguini and the jets! :violent:

I can just see mangini now doing his best to screw up the pats draft picking ahead of us.

I'd have to disagree. Ty and his agent are trying to up the price on Ty not the Jets. I'd venture that he probably is getting vet min type offers and are thinking to cash in on the turf war between here and NY. Law will go to where he gets the best offer as its long been proven that money is Law's only motivator. I'm confident that the Pats FO won't bite of more than they can chew with Law.

Good luck to Law. I appreciate what he did for the Pats and I hope he gets the best contract he can. It'd be nice to have him back, but I can't blame him if someone else is offering him something better.
Yeah, he's made about a hundred million so far. If the most important thing to him is having made one hundred and one million, I say go for it. I don't think people are mocking him for that. It was his comment that he wanted to play for a winning team, when what he wants is not to leave a nickel on the table. If the Allouettes offered him more than the Jets, he'd be connecting with his cousin across the border again.

The real behind the scenes Ty Law negotiations:

Ring Ring in Foxboro:

BB: Hello?
Ty Law: Coach, it's me Ty!
BB: Ty, how you doing?
TL: Great! Hey, I was wondering, do you still need help in the backfield?
BB: Ty, you know I'd love to have you, but as I said the last six times you called, all I can really afford is a vet minimum salary. You know, you and I aren't getting any younger.
TL: Well thanks, coach. It's been a really nice conversation.
BB: It is what it is. Give me a call if you want to talk some more.

Ring Ring in Giants stadium (oops, I mean, the Meadowlands):

Eric Mangini: Hello?
Agent (whichever one isn't suspended) Poston: (in a cat's-got-the-canary voice) Hi Eric, it's me, Ty Law's agent! I've got some interesting news; we're talking to the Patriots and they've made a preliminary offer...
EM: (cutting him off in a desperate voice) What? What offer? What is it? Tell me what it is! I'm prepared to match anything those cheaters are prepared to pay! He can't go there instead of here! I was only joking when I cut him!! Herm made me do it!!
Poston: Now, Eric, you know I can't play those games. You've got to have us down for a visit before we can discuss competing offers. What do you say?
EM: Fine! Be on the next plane. Just don't let him visit Foxboro!!
Click

Ring Ring in Hawaii:

Matt Walsh: Hello?
EM: (in same desperate voice) Matty! It's me, Eric. Listen, do you still have that tap going on Belichick's phone?
MW: Sorry, Eric. My high priced Washington lawyer told me I had to stop taping the Pats or I would never get my immunity or indemnity agreements done.
EM: Damn!
MW: Sorry. A man's gotta eat and if I ever want to cash in on my 15 minutes of fame, I have to make sure Bill Belichick can't sue me and get back every penny. You know how he is.
click
Mangini curls into a ball on the floor of his office as he knows he doesn't have the cap room to pay Law the kind of $$ he wants after all his other high priced free agent signings. BB is going to crush him again!!!!

(Meanwhile, Agent Poston is calling all 30 other NFL teams and saying the following, "The Pats had a very pleasant conversation with Ty Law and made a preliminary offer and the Jets have him coming to New York on the next plane! These two teams are so familiar with Ty's game and are going hard trying to get him. Are you gonna pass up the opportunity to sign Ty Law?")

Three days (or maybe even three weeks) later the headline on NFL.com reads, "Ty Law spurns heavy overtures from previous teams to sign with (fill in the name of cornerback-desperate, overpaying team other than the Pats or Jets)"

Book it.

Ty Law is shallow enough to realize that if he wasn't greedy he could have played his entire career here in NE, probably won 4 rings and probably have an outside shot at the HOF.

Now he is on the verge to becoming a no-body and has basically only one memory which is a high profile INT in the first superbowl which was a result of a blitz and a bad throw and has to live in knowing that he was replaced with a FA rookie on a team that still won the superbowl even though he was hurt.

Ring Ring in Foxboro:

BB: Ty, you know I'd love to have you, but as I said the last six times you called, all I can really afford is a vet minimum salary. You know, you and I aren't getting any younger.

Agent (whichever one isn't suspended) Poston: (in a cat's-got-the-canary voice) Hi Eric, it's me, Ty Law's agent! I've got some interesting news; we're talking to the Patriots and they've made a preliminary offer...
EM: (cutting him off in a desperate voice) What? What offer? What is it? Tell me what it is! I'm prepared to match anything those cheaters are prepared to pay! He can't go there instead of here! I was only joking when I cut him!! Herm made me do it!!
Poston: Now, Eric, you know I can't play those games. You've got to have us down for a visit before we can discuss competing offers. What do you say?
Click

Ring Ring in Hawaii:

EM: (in same desperate voice) Matty! It's me, Eric. Listen, do you still have that tap going on Belichick's phone?
MW: Sorry, Eric. My high priced Washington lawyer told me I had to stop taping the Pats or I would never get my immunity or indemnity agreements done.
MW: Sorry. A man's gotta eat and if I ever want to cash in on my 15 minutes of fame, I have to make sure Bill Belichick can't sue me and get back every penny. You know how he is.
click
Mangini curls into a ball on the floor of his office as he knows he doesn't have the cap room to pay Law the kind of $$ he wants after all his other high priced free agent signings. BB is going to crush him again!!!!

(Meanwhile, Agent Poston is calling all 30 other NFL teams and saying the following, "The Pats had a very pleasant conversation with Ty Law and made a preliminary offer and the Jets have him coming to New York on the next plane! These two teams are so familiar with Ty's game and are going hard trying to get him. Are you gonna pass up the opportunity to sign Ty Law?")

Three days (or maybe even three weeks) later the headline on NFL.com reads, "Ty Law spurns heavy overtures from previous teams to sign with (fill in the name of cornerback-desperate, overpaying team other than the Pats or Jets)"

Book it.

You have quite the imagination...

Ring Ring in Foxboro:

Click

Ring Ring in Hawaii:

click

Book it.

You're the Arthur Miller of Patsfans.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back