PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: BB and Pioli break silence over Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB and Pioli break silence over Walsh

All right somebody finally went public with the whole story without altering it.Yahoo sports.Hers the first section it Will sound familiar which is good.
February 18, 2008

AP - Feb 17, 11:36 pm EST
More Photos

BOSTON (AP) -- Patriots coach Bill Belichick broke his silence on New England's twin taping controversies, denying he told anyone to tape the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl and apologizing for all the attention generated by Spygate.

Belichick also told the Boston Globe he "couldn't pick Matt Walsh out of a lineup." Walsh, a former Patriots employee, reportedly taped St. Louis' walkthrough practice the day before the Patriots beat the Rams 20-17 in the championship.

"In my entire coaching career, I've never seen another team's practice film prior to playing that team," Belichick said in a story posted on the Globe's Web site Sunday night. "I have never authorized, or heard of, or even seen in any way, shape, or form any other team's walkthrough. We don't even film our own."

Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli also told the newspaper that part of the reason Walsh was fired in January 2003 was because he secretly recorded conversations between himself and Pioli.

Also I had never read before that Goodell had offered Walsh indemnity for anything he did while working for the Pats including stealing, but Walsh said it wasn't enough. If thats not enough then hes lieing. He has Nothing IMO.But a mouth that he runs, and a sleezy lawyer.

Last edited:

Lmao at this quote- I bet Tomase is drowning in a tub full of rocky road ice cream right now. :D
sitting in the tub with a dozen bavarian cremes

The way this is going to be spun by the media is that this is an attempt by the Patriots to distance themeselves from Matt Walsh by suggesting that he was a low level employee who has had a agenda(secret taping of conversations). They are going to say that the Patriots are distancing Belichick from Walsh(couldn't pick him out of a lineup)to protect the head coach.
The good news is that if this goes to court the Patriots will have loads of witnesses that can speak to Matt Walsh's character. Even if Walsh has a videotape It will be difficult to link it to BB.
My question is if the Patriots taped a walkthrough on the night before the the superbowl do you really think they would let some low level employee keep the tape?

Without regard for anything that has been posted erroneously and done to generate ratings, glad to see that Reiss got the story and BB and SP spoke.. felt all along it was much ado about nothing, and just a function of bored media... spin, spin, spin...

I keep remembering John Clayton's 'expert' analysis right after Spygate broke about how the Pats could rush in at halftime, cut/paste/merge/burn a coaching CD to completely decipher the opponent's defensive playcalling, and have it all back to BB for the 2nd half.

Now the truth comes out - it was low priority video shot mostly for the benefit of learning tendencies and such, on a par with studying stances of linemen. About priority 1 of 100, in BB's estimation, and wasn't even processed until Wed or Thu of the following week. LMAO!

Talk about fabricating a mountain out of a molehill! Nice analysis, Clayton. Nice job determining an appropriate penalty, Goodell, you knee-jerking media-fearing glory hog. Thanks for needlessly igniting a season of character assassination of a future hall of fame coach.

It was before the Steelers AFC Championship game in 2004 (Jan 2005). And that was in a ballroom in the hotel. From the angle they showed (low from the side), there's no way that tape was done for coaching purposes. They were just chronicling incase they needed it for some tv special / dvd, which thankfully they did.

The was filmed by channel 5 Patriots "All Access", and then I beleive it was on the championship DVD. Not filmed by the tream.

You know, it's interesting. Walsh says he has tapes and so far everyone has assumed they are videotapes. What if they are the audiotapes of these conversations Pioli said he was recording? That would explain why he is so concerned with the NFL's offer indemnification not being good enough.

You know, it's interesting. Walsh says he has tapes and so far everyone has assumed they are videotapes. What if they are the audiotapes of these conversations Pioli said he was recording? That would explain why he is so concerned with the NFL's offer indemnification not being good enough.

In any event, to me this is clearly an instance of the Organization establishing that Walsh was fond of making unauthorized recordings - audio or video.

Regardless of what tapes come out, the question will remain - was Walsh authorized to make the tapes? Quite possibly not.

Now the truth comes out - it was low priority video shot mostly for the benefit of learning tendencies and such, on a par with studying stances of linemen. About priority 1 of 100, in BB's estimation, and wasn't even processed until Wed or Thu of the following week. LMAO!

Why are people surprised? They hired INTERNS with HANDYCAMS to shoot this stuff. Anyone who thought they could've used this during a game was on crack. Unless you're recording to hard drive as well, and they weren't, video can only be captured to computer in real-time. Real-time. It would take more than the length of half-time to get it off the tape.

If he does have audiotapes of conversations with Pioli, then they were recorded without Pioli's knowledge. As far as I know, they cannot be used in court. The court of public opinion could be damning, but I don't think Walsh and his lawyer have a leg to stand on legally. I could be wrong though, it won't be the first or last time.

In any event, to me this is clearly an instance of the Organization establishing that Walsh was fond of making unauthorized recordings - audio or video.

Regardless of what tapes come out, the question will remain - was Walsh authorized to make the tapes? Quite possibly not.

Pioli said Walsh was one of three guys who had the same responsibilities. Wonder who the other two were and what their take on all this is.

Why are people surprised? They hired INTERNS with HANDYCAMS to shoot this stuff. Anyone who thought they could've used this during a game was on crack. Unless you're recording to hard drive as well, and they weren't, video can only be captured to computer in real-time. Real-time. It would take more than the length of half-time to get it off the tape.

Good point, but people can't get enough of scandle. Common sense like what you are saying gets quickly swept under the rug.

Again if there is a tape of the game, show it.... until then, I believe in Belichick and Pioli...

The only thing I'd disagree with would be that he might have a "bombshell" aka walk through tape (too much chatter about for there not to be?)

Wouldn't be surprised, but it would only be a "bombshell" if it proved direct involvement by Belichick and/or Pioli. If he had that, he could give it to Specter today and the money for him would start rolling in. Walsh has every opportunity to go to Specter but he isn't.

He doesn't even need to talk (rendering the "truthful" condition moot). Once Specter has the "damaging" material, he will have the ammo he needs to get Walsh to testify before congress with all the legal protection he needs. But still he isn't.

Walsh has material but that material is just a means to an end. The end being getting Walsh some walkin' around money. The NFL knows this and won't let that happen. The only hope for Walsh is a lawsuit getting to trial (not happening) or Specter making the leap that deposing Walsh is so overwhelming in the public interest that it overrides the Pats confidentiality agreement (unlikely).

Good point, but people can't get enough of scandle. Common sense like what you are saying gets quickly swept under the rug.

True. (10 char)

Here's what I honestly think Walsh did. "IF" he has this tape, I think he took it upon himself to film the Ram walkthrough. Here's a coffee-fetching intern, what better way to get yourself ahead than to go ahead and try to separate yourself from the others and attempt to make yourself into a star. I honestly believe that he did this on his own accord to get ahead (without getting permission from anyone). If a guy has the audicity to secretly tape Pioli's phone conversations, there is NO DOUBT that he wouldn't have any issues about taking it upon himself to film another team's walkthru.

And now that he was let go, knowing he had this tape without anyone's permission, he's trying to get back at the Pats for telling him to move on. I truly believe that this is what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I honestly think Walsh did. I think he took it upon himself to film the Ram walkthrough. Here's a coffee-fetching intern, what better way to get yourself ahead than to go ahead and try to separate yourself from the others and attempt to make yourself into a star. I honestly believe that he did this on his own accord to get ahead (without getting permission from anyone).

And now that he was let go, knowing he had this tape without anyone's permission, he's trying to get back at the Pats for telling him to move on. I truly believe that this is what happened.

Co-sign. I agree that if there is actually any tape that this is what happened, but no one is ever going to believe he did any taping on his own volition, b/c no one wants to. No one wants to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt.

They'd rather believe the words of this sleezy snitch Walsh, who wouldn't agree to indemnity b/c it included a provision that he was telling the truth...I mean, come on, how friggin transparent is that.

If his goal was to get back at the Pats, he could do that today. Give the tapes to Specter, sit back and watch the fireworks. It is that easy and puts Walsh in no legal jeopardy. This is about greed, not malice.

Last edited:
Did walsh actually say or infer that he had a tape of the walkthrough??? or did he just say or infer he had tapes?? How did the existence of the walkthrough tape come about???...un named source??? It's unbelievable how reporters can just cite an "un named source" and report anything true or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back