PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: BB and Pioli break silence over Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB and Pioli break silence over Walsh

poor shrunken peter....your whole hate filled troll objective has been ripped from your bony little rat claws and rammed down your Indy two toothed goober throat...enjoy

What could be embarrassing? This is sports. Beyond a few cusswords, what could they possibly be embarrassed about?

I would imagine there would be cusswords which Pioli probably not want as part of his public image. But I would also imagine, the tapes could also include him talking about in a very honest way, players, teams, college coaches, other nfl teams that you would normally do in meeting with your scouting department.

I would love to see Walsh taken down for corporate espionage, just not sure if the Pats would want all the information out there.

Great, now we can go on with mourning the SB loss. :(

This is not the same thing as the Roger Clemens ordeal, and just because you want to believe Walsh does not mean you or he is right. Common sense would indicate that the more credible side in this is the Patriots. Walsh's credibility has rightfully so taken a MAJOR hit.

I agree they are completely different.

If what Pioli is saying is true - then Walsh taped conversations with Pioli. For all we know he has tapes of Pioli telling him to do all sorts of things. But just because Walsh is a scumbag doesn't mean that he doesn't have a tape that they asked him to make.

Your common sense argument is tricky - because common sense would also say that the Patriots would

a) deny this to the end
b) use the "we never asked him to tape it" defense in case he does have a tape.

I would imagine there would be cusswords which Pioli probably not want as part of his public image. But I would also imagine, the tapes could also include him talking about in a very honest way, players, teams, college coaches, other nfl teams that you would normally do in meeting with your scouting department.

I would love to see Walsh taken down for corporate espionage, just not sure if the Pats would want all the information out there.
In Patriots Reign, Weis refers to Patrick Pass and says something to the effect of "I hate that ************."

I can't imagine Walsh's tapes of Pioli are much worse than that.

Great, now we can go on with mourning the SB loss. :(

That was classic ... when is the wake going to end?

go to hell b peter seriously The Patriots are nothing but class and you can't handle that!

If what Pioli is saying is true - then Walsh taped conversations with Pioli. For all we know he has tapes of Pioli telling him to do all sorts of things. But just because Walsh is a scumbag doesn't mean that he doesn't have a tape that they asked him to make.

Your common sense argument is tricky - because common sense would also say that the Patriots would

a) deny this to the end

Again, this isn't the point. The point is that he has been called out. Then his lawyer called Pioli a liar. When your reputation has been trashed, you have to sue these guys for slander. We're saying that Walsh is an out and out liar, and that's why the Patriots have come out guns blazing.

If Walsh produces a tape I'll believe him. If he does not, I'll think he's the jerk that everyone around here thinks he is. I don't think he'd be making all this noise unless he has something.

Unless he's got nothing and just some "stories" he can tell and try to sell to the media for a few bucks.

He definitely has something. The central question that nobody in the media is asking is why he wanted to get involved. He could have answered "I can't legally comment on any of your questions." and been completely left out of this. He chose to inject himself into a difficult situation that is likely to be draining on him in many ways. What are his motivations? Let's run through the options:

Nobility? Doesn't fit his profile. He hasn't worked in the NFL for a while, why put himself on the line to preserve league integrity now?

Revenge? The Pats did fire him...but that was so long ago that it is unlikely he has kept the means for revenge under wraps for 4 years. He could have leaked his info to the media at any time and gotten back at the Pats.

Envy? The Pats have gone dynastic since he was let go and it is likely a few of his former "peers" have reaped the benefits of that success. But tearing the Pats down doesn't help him in this regard, which leads us to...

Money! This one fits on every level:
  • Walsh is an ambulance chaser. He needed a scandal before his information (however limited) became valuable. Check.
  • But there is that pesky confidentiality agreement. The NFL/Pats would never let him sell his story. He needed an outlet to paint him as a significant player in the scandal to up his visibility. Enter Mike Fish. Check.
  • Still not enough to get over the agreement. He now needed a heavyweight with an ax to grind that could strong-arm the NFL into letting him talk. Enter Sen. Specter. Check.
  • So far, so good. But the NFL indemnity agreement only lets him talk to Goodell and Specter and he has to give up all his materials. That and $1.18 gets him a coffee at McDonalds.

That puts him in an interesting situation. If he has a bombshell in his possession, he could give it up to Specter under the current NFL agreement and Specter would blab it all over national TV. Now that it is public knowledge, he can cash in as the guy who took down the Patriots. But that isn't happening. Why not?

Because Walsh doesn't have a bombshell. In fact, it is unlikely he has anything that Belichick hasn't already admitted to. Walsh needs a blanket immunity agreement so that he can write his "I, Spy" book (with nothing new or interesting) and make his rounds on the news programs. Scandal sells and he needs to cash in before ADD sets in and the public moves on.

Walsh's lawyer and Specter are out there crying about the provision in the NFL indemnity agreement that states Walsh must tell the truth. That is a red herring. His evidence would speak for itself and the Pats would bear the burden of proving any testimony was a lie...which would be difficult to do unless he WAS lying. The real issue is that Walsh wouldn't be free to talk to everybody and that is what will stop him from getting his money.

Last edited:

Metaphors - Excellent, excellent post. The only thing I'd disagree with would be that he might have a "bombshell" aka walk through tape (too much chatter about for there not to be?)

a) deny this to the end
If you agree they are completely different then why did you compare it to Roger Clemens calling out his personal trainer? Also, you completely missed the premise of my post, instead attacking it with your straw man argument. I was not arguing for common sense, I was stating that the Patriots side is more credible and their story is not just a denial but an explanation behind this whole situation. The fact is Walsh's rep takes a significant hit from this and that makes him lose a great deal of credibility right then and there. You keep wanting to believe that he must have something big as he has alluded to, but I'm saying why believe that he has something when ONE he doesn't have much if any credibility and TWO the Patriots have not only denied that he would have any such information, but they have gone to lengths to detail what exactly his position was within the organization. Once again, here is what his job entailed.
Quote:
‘‘He had come from video, so the first few months his job was to make highlight tapes of draft-eligible players, guys who were going to be free agents,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s like the entry-level position that we have all the scouting assistants in. It’s essentially the same job that I did 15 years ago, which was making copies, picking people up at the airport, data entry, more of the highlight tapes of the players, the draft-eligible guys.’’

Last edited:

Just read on espn.com that the Patriots declined to make any further comment to the Associated Press. Reiss was the only one who got the story. What Tomase got in national exposure for his "anonymous source", Reiss is about to get for being a stand-up reporter without an agenda.

i think the pats suspect he has some thing -legally or illegally. thats why pioli came out with the facts that he was fired for taping conversations without his knowledge. pats are just going on the offensive before walsh comes out and shows what he has .
obviously people will believe who they want to believe.

bpeter17,Isn't it past you're bedtime?

Again, this isn't the point. The point is that he has been called out. Then his lawyer called Pioli a liar. When your reputation has been trashed, you have to sue these guys for slander. We're saying that Walsh is an out and out liar, and that's why the Patriots have come out guns blazing.

Exactly. We are not going to believe someone when, our team has not only denied it but also proven the guy lacks major credibility. This whole "rams taping walkthrough" has been founded on nothing, and yet ppl ran with it like it was the missing piece to the puzzle.

I am glad the Pats are responding to some of the crap, but I already see Gregg Easterbrook's and Mike Florio's articles now about how the Patriots are trying to smear the poor victim of Matt Walsh because he is brave enough to expose the Patriots for the worst spying incidents in American history since Watergate. And even Watergate was just a little break in. The Patriots destroyed the integrity of the NFL and the fabric of our American culture.

LOL!!!!!!! That's great!!!!

You may have a future doing this stuff, you know....:D

Just read on espn.com that the Patriots declined to make any further comment to the Associated Press. Reiss was the only one who got the story. What Tomase got in national exposure for his "anonymous source", Reiss is about to get for being a stand-up reporter without an agenda.

Yea, I also saw espn went into much more detail than initially about this story and gave many more quotes then the previous short article which only told of the denial. Good to see them report the full story, and MAJOR PROPS to Reiss. Think i would've gone crazy if it wasn't for him...

i think the pats suspect he has some thing -legally or illegally. thats why pioli came out with the facts that he was fired for taping conversations without his knowledge. pats are just going on the offensive before walsh comes out and shows what he has .

Of course the Patriots know he has something.

That's why Goodell made the provision in the offer that he wants the property back.

wonder what it could be....of course he wont show it unless the patriots promise they won't sue, if he has no proof that they authorized it :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back