PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

red sox ot: clemens goin to the yanks

who cares clemens has not been a red sox for like 10 yers and he never will be again i wish him the best and when he plays us we will kill him

Thank God he's not going back to the damn Red Sox ;)

Who cares? We dont need him. Cant wait till he tanks and the yanks are out a cool 20 mill

I swear to you, if the the Red Sox have some kind of appreciation day or retire this idiot's number I will vomit.

I didn't want him to come back and I can't wait for him to get shelled in the AL.:bricks:

I feel that the yanks are getting screwed, but they sort of have to do it because their starting rotation sucks, and they have to atleast pleaze the fans for a moment and make it look like they are doing something. But he will be a little below average in his old age, and they will still suck.:rocker:

Also the only time I will like him will be if he retires in a Red Sox uniform.

if anyone thinks he wont help the yankees out big time, u really dont know what ur talkin bout

i wasnt all about gettin him back in a sox uni
i jus wanted to keep him away from the damn yankees

he'll help them. this is a good move for the yankees.

18 or 19 million dollars for 4 months is downright silly, especially for a guy who wasn't a;; that great the last time he pitched in the AL.

thank god the sox didn't sign him. i want to root against him. i told my girlfriend that if the sox signed him i'd root for them to win every game he started 15-10. i really don't care if he would have helped the team, it wouldn't have been worth it.

i can be happy if randy moss catches a pass for NE. i won't like the guy, but i won't hate him either. i couldn't feel the same way about clemens though. i could not have stomached hearing clemens get cheered at fenway or embraced by sox fans.

fun side note: when the sports guy signed my book i had him sign "roger clemens is still the antichrist." i think i'll go check that out and smile

To be honest, I don't think he's going to help them all that much.

The Yanks are going to hang around either way. Truth is, if Mussina, Pettite and Wang all stay healthy, it's a solid frontline with or without Roger. Their pen still sucks hard, and Roger, now being a 5 or 6 inning kind of guy, is going to see a lot of leads blown.

Either way, the Yanks are going to hang around...I just think their pen sucks too much either way, but yeah, they're going to be there, as always, come fall.

As much as everyone loves Roger, we will be ok without him.. not sure he can keep doing this stuff, signing late and playing 1/2 seasons.. the Yankees have some serious problems in their bullpen.. but money buys everything.

The 1/2 season thing just feels wrong. Its primadonna-ism at its utmost.

It was bad enough when Pedro used to cheat his way into reporting late to spring training each year 'cause of his dad's birthday. This is ridiculous. Whatever happened to being with your team through thick or thin?

wgaf............ Why do the "pink hat" baseball fans insist on posting on the Patriopts site?

The Yanks are going to hang around either way. Truth is, if Mussina, Pettite and Wang all stay healthy, it's a solid frontline with or without Roger. Their pen still sucks hard, and Roger, now being a 5 or 6 inning kind of guy, is going to see a lot of leads blown.

Either way, the Yanks are going to hang around...I just think their pen sucks too much either way, but yeah, they're going to be there, as always, come fall.

I think he'll be a big help for the fact that he lets them deal with injuries. Yankees fans keeping throwing out "Wang, Mussina, Pettitte, Clemens, Hughes," which seems like a silly pipe dream. There's no way they're all going to be healthy at once. What Clemens does is allow them to better handle the times when one or more of the other are injured. It will be huge if this allows the Yankees to undo what they were forced to do with Hughes and leave him in the minors until July.

I agree with you though that they'd find a way w/o him. They always do. One or two of their AAAA guys would start pitching like a stud anyway.

And it should help the pen, as it allows them to put guys in the pen who would be instead starting (Igawa). Of course I say should and not will, because it doesn't matter how many options he has, Torre will ride farnsworth and proctor into the ground.

The 1/2 season thing just feels wrong. Its primadonna-ism at its utmost.

It was bad enough when Pedro used to cheat his way into reporting late to spring training each year 'cause of his dad's birthday. This is ridiculous. Whatever happened to being with your team through thick or thin?

Eh, that doesn't bother me a single bit. He sets his terms and tells teams they can take it or leave it. He's good enough that some teams will accept them.

Thankfully for Roger being a primadonna doesn't make him bad at baseball. If a team has to choose between a hall of famer who isn't with his team through thick or thin or a JAG who is the best teammate in the world, most will choose the former.

Of course, the fact i already hate him makes it easy for me to get past it. It's not like I have to root for him and rationalize his actions as to not feel dirty ("Randy Moss just cares about winning"). I know he's an self-obsessed, attention-whoring, ungrateful bastard so nothing he does really surprises me.

/Warning: side rant

When interviewed by YES yesterday he actually outright lied that he wasn't getting any special treatment, trying to play the part as one of the guys. A few hours later the contract terms are known, and he's getting all of the perks he got in Houston. The guy has the stones to lie straight to anyone's face even when it can be easily refuted. He's so full of himself that the truth is whatever he wants it to be, and doesn't think twice about lying.

And anyone doubts the guy is (or was) on HGH (or other untested for in the past) enhancers? If we use Barry Bonds as the example of the personality type that would use performance enhancers, isn't Roger a slam dunk user? How are they different except that Roger pitches and is white? I guess Roger is less confrontational with the press, but he's just as angry and the press is simply less confrontational with him.

Heck, considering Bonds doesn't have 5 kids named Barry he might be less of a narcissistic a-hole than Roger.

*edit* now that I think about it, maybe the twilight of Roger's career was circumvented through use of performance enhancers. It isn't often a guy suffers a decline in his 30s and gets great again. He had no reason to use them when he was the highest paid player in baseball while with Boston and on top of the world. Maybe he saw the handwriting on the wall and took the steps necessary to be as great as he thought he still was.

Last edited:
wgaf............ Why do the "pink hat" baseball fans insist on posting on the Patriopts site?

Well speaking for myself, I contribute to this subforum because I've developed a respect for the general level of insight that posters here provide. To dumb it down a bit just in case, I learn something when I visit. Although there are a few people who's opinion I find useless.

20M for 20ish starts or so (if hes healthy). What a joke.

Clemens at 45, pitching back in the AL is going to get friggen shelled. I can see why the yanks made such a bonehead move given how bad thier pitching situation is. That doesn't mean it'll work.

At his age, he'll only be good for about 80-100 pitches if they expect him to stay healthy down the stretch. I for one, am very excited to see him back in the AL, even more so not in a Sox uni :rocker: .

Clemens, Mussina, Pettite (hahahahahaha), can you say "Glory Days". Come on Georgie, time to move forward a few years and keep up with the jones'

Last edited:
Who cares? We dont need him. 22 mill for 3 months and a 3+ era... all set

As if it's your money. Funny how shelling out $100+ million for a guy who's never thrown a pitch in the majors was brilliant, yet, paying $4.5 million a month for a guy who's arguablely the greatest pitcher of all-time, while also being dominant the last 10 years, is a no thanks. Furthermore, should he have a 3+ ERA in the AL (I have my doubts), he'd be top 5-10 in the entire league. The only risk is money, of which the Yankees, and Sox, have plenty of.

Their pen is fine. The problem is it's overuse. They're on pace to shatter every single mlb record for use (appearances and IP). Any pen that is overused in this capacity is going to suffer significantly. Look at the Sox pen, the names have shady track records, but when your starters go 7-8 innings a night consecutively, your pen is never exposed. If the Sox pen had to pitch 3-4 innings a night, it would be exposed in the same fashion. With the rotation coming back to health, the pen's numbers and performance should improve substantially.

I'm a Yankees fan in Boston. I love every Boston team but the Sox. I did root for the Sox in the 2004 World Series cuz I am from Boston. Some people are mystified by that. Simply explained, I'm not a yahoo. The Yankees, barring more injuries, will be there at the end. They will score too many runs to not be. Come July and August they will eat up mediocre teams. Signing Clemens is a plus, even though I'm not convinced he can pitch well in the AL East. The NL is so much weaker than the AL. The question is, if he maintains an ERA of 4.00, and can pitch 6-7 innings, will he be worth it? I think so, simply because the Yankees score so much.

As much as everyone loves Roger, we will be ok without him.. not sure he can keep doing this stuff, signing late and playing 1/2 seasons.. the Yankees have some serious problems in their bullpen.. but money buys everything.

RedSox fans always make me laugh when it comes to the issue of money. Sure, the Yankees spend more than any other team in baseball. That advantage is significant, extremely significant. However, the RedSox spend more money than everyone else in baseball not named the Yankees. The Sox are at $160 million in payroll. When it comes to money, I can understand the A's and Royals complaining, but the RedSox complaining is bit disengenuous IMO.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back