PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reaction to the Derby Trade: Absolutely Puzzling Move by Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
What many people are missing once again is that BB & co. have seen Derby almost every day in practice straight since training camp.

They know exactly what his relative strengths and weaknesses are and given the amount of experience can project his development. Now, obviously some rare players can suddenly "get it" and breakout during games but there are tons of signs of that to the coaching staff in practice.

Sometimes a post reminds me of how lucky I am to be a Pats fan, we spend three pages discussing a 3rd string TE who got little on the field time, imagine if we were dealing with the Gino Smith/Ryan Fitzpatrick controversy.. or the "Superbowl" win by Miami against the Rex powerhouse last Sunday.

I'm kinda amazed by the response. Do you guys really think Derby is gonna do a Gronk on us in December?

Like Owen Daniels scoring 2 TD in the AFCCG?

Like Owen Daniels scoring 2 TD in the AFCCG?

You're comparing Owen Daniels, a vet TE who has a proven track record with Derby, who was drafted by Belichick, evaluated intimately in practice and has never started an NFL game?

Sometimes a post reminds me of how lucky I am to be a Pats fan, we spend three pages discussing a 3rd string TE who got little on the field time, imagine if we were dealing with the Gino Smith/Ryan Fitzpatrick controversy.. or the "Superbowl" win by Miami against the Rex powerhouse last Sunday.

....and two threads.

Serious question, not meant to be leading in any direction: Has Derby shown you anything to make you think he's more than a replacement-level TE? If you're comparing him to Freeny, the answer would seem to be no.
That's exactly how I view him, as a decent third tight end. My biggest problem with this isn't the fact that they traded him, it's the timing. If this was a move that was made in February or March, I would have been fine with it. But sending him to Denver midseason, while leaving yourself short-handed if there's an injury, that's the part I don't agree with. I think Derby was a more viable option than anybody else and they can try and pick up off the street now in the event one of those guys gets hurt. But again, if they made this move after the season was over, I really wouldn't have had that big of a problem with it.

Last edited:
There are ZERO possibilities that Derby would've gotten past the Jet's if cut. It's pick your poison, I'll take the poison with the 5th round pick to a declining team. We have at least two players coming off the PUP soon.

This is the best rationale I've seen of this whole thing.
"We've got to cut a couple of players...Derby will be one of them...the Jets will grab him, d%#*[email protected]'s get him out of the division. The Broncos? Oh well, better than the Jets."

This news was a bit surprising. Also, Anthony Johnson was someone I grew to like a lot. Oh well.

I feel like I should share this Tweet from Mike Lombardi here:

If his sources in Foxboro think this isn't a big deal, then why do we?

I'm kinda amazed by the response. Do you guys really think Derby is gonna do a Gronk on us in December?
Well, I don't do gameday threads as.......I have a life. But imagine the explosions there if Derby catches one ball for a first down in a playoff game.:eek:

I think it's just that people saw potential...at least that's why I was a bit surprised.

I suppose I'd have preferred trading to a crummy team, because the pick would be more valuable, assuming the same round. But beyond that, it's fine.

Pats have shown a pretty good sense as to who to keep or let go...Zach Sudfeld in the division didn't seem to hurt much. (The much heralded preseason phenom Zach Sudfeld, currently playing for nobody.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft