Reaction to the Derby Trade: Absolutely Puzzling Move by Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Reaction to the Derby Trade: Absolutely Puzzling Move by Belichick

Ian Logue

It's not very often that there's reason to question Bill Belichick, but Tuesday's bizarre move to jettison A.J. Derby to an AFC rival for essentially nothing could possibly go down as one of the most head-scratching of his tenure.

Continue reading...

Yeah I honestly don't understand this move at all. Derby looked like he could play in this league, and you just traded him for a 5th round pick? To your potential play off match up? I mean I am not exactly afraid of AJ Derby at this point, we havent seen him in real NFL games yet but something doesn't seem right about the move.

Absolute overreaction IMO. People again letting themselves be fooled by preseason. Derby has had 7 games to show something with Gronk being out or limited the first 4 weeks and Bennett being limited these last 2. He didn't. If he was showing it in practice Bill and Josh would have been using him.

giphy.gif

"They traded with the Broncos!!! They traded with the Broncos!!!"

As much as I agree that trading him to a division rival appears counterproductive, I suspect it's not as simple as that. I suspect the Pats were considering cutting him, but called around the league first and got almost no interest. They very well may have realized that if they cut him, the Broncos would pick him up anyway and decided they may as well get something in return. Just a guess.

I'm kinda amazed by the response. Do you guys really think Derby is gonna do a Gronk on us in December?

Wow Ian, and I thought Derby was MY binky.

Develin can fill the H-back role if needed.

So what do all the teams that don't have Gronk or Bennett do for the rest of the season?

We got something for nothing it would appear. I'm probably wrong though.

Wow Ian, and I thought Derby was MY binky.

Develin can fill the H-back role if needed.

So what do all the teams that don't have Gronk or Bennett do for the rest of the season?

My biggest issue is just the fact that they don't have another pass-catching threat behind either of those two if - God forbid - either gets hurt. The only other thing I'm wondering is if he has an issue as a run-blocker and they're making a move to shift to a replacement that might be better suited for that if they're changing something scheme-wise, which would at least make some sense if that's the case. But again, it's the same issue. If Gronk or Bennett go down, it definitely hurts them in the passing game, although granted he's not close to either one of those players. If Harbor was still here, I'd understand it.

Otherwise, I certainly don't see him doing a Gronk on us, but if he helps Denver win a game or two, that makes it counterproductive. Had Belichick shipped him to Chicago or Tampa, I wouldn't hate it, but I don't understand shipping him there, let alone weakening their depth chart considering how much Belichick values that position.

Again, I don't think he's great now, but he looked like a guy who played well and could develop into a pretty good player while learning from two of the best. As I wrote, I liken him to O'Leary and felt like in another year or so he could have been a nice fit behind the starters. With only two on the depth chart I'm assuming a move is coming, so I'd like to assume there's a method to his madness on this one. I'm normally pretty reserved, but this one surprised me given that they had pretty good depth there before the trade.

Has AJ Derby been really great at sitting on the sidelines for you guys? He hasnt been able to get into a game all year

My biggest issue is just the fact that they don't have another pass-catching threat behind either of those two if - God forbid - either gets hurt. The only other thing I'm wondering is if he has an issue as a run-blocker and they're making a move to shift to a replacement that might be better suited for that if they're changing something scheme-wise, which would at least make some sense if that's the case. But again, it's the same issue. If Gronk or Bennett go down, it definitely hurts them in the passing game, although granted he's not close to either one of those players. If Harbor was still here, I'd understand it.

Otherwise, I certainly don't see him doing a Gronk on us, but if he helps Denver win a game or two, that makes it counterproductive. Had Belichick shipped him to Chicago or Tampa, I wouldn't hate it, but I don't understand shipping him there, let alone weakening their depth chart considering how much Belichick values that position.

Again, I don't think he's great now, but he looked like a guy who played well and could develop into a pretty good player while learning from two of the best. As I wrote, I liken him to O'Leary and felt like in another year or so he could have been a nice fit behind the starters. With only two on the depth chart I'm assuming a move is coming, so I'd like to assume there's a method to his madness on this one. I'm normally pretty reserved, but this one surprised me given that they had pretty good depth there before the trade.
I think if Gronk or Bennett go down we become a 1 TE offense whether derby stayed or was gone. The replacement is the 3rd WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back