PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reaction to the Derby Trade: Absolutely Puzzling Move by Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets step back here....

Derby's pass and run blocking were sub-standard.
Derby didn't have any catches
Derby was seeing sporadic time on special teams.
Hes been deactivated before

Clearly BB felt he can maximize value for another roster spot somewhere. If BB felt he was quality depth he would have kept him.

BB received a 5th rounder for a player who was drafted in the 6th round that was hurt and didn't play well.

Develin can line up at TE. Fleming can be the blocking TE.

I don't see a problem with any of this.

I was a Derby fan but when it comes down to it, he hasn't done anything. I don't think we will miss him. As someone mentioned earlier, when Gronk was out/limited he contributed nothing. Not to mention, he was a healthy scratch for a game or 2 I believe. We have Develin who can fill his role and is probably a better blocker. And maybe Reece will still come onboard.

That's exactly how I view him, as a decent third tight end. My biggest problem with this isn't the fact that they traded him, it's the timing. If this was a move that was made in February or March, I would have been fine with it. But sending him to Denver midseason, while leaving yourself short-handed if there's an injury, that's the part I don't agree with. I think Derby was a more viable option than anybody else and they can try and pick up off the street now in the event one of those guys gets hurt. But again, if they made this move after the season was over, I really wouldn't have had that big of a problem with it.

Based upon his status on the roster - bottom 8 to 10 players - he has been active in 4 games and inactive in 3 this season that tells me his value to the team isn't the same as his perceived value by fans. Now as Tre Jackson and Deon Lewis become available there are two roster spots that need to be opened for them because both are more valuable than a 3rd TE who rarely plays TE and apparently doesn't contribute on S/T's enough to be active every game. Using that logic and the fact that if they cut him they get nothing but now have received a 5th round pick which is value this decision was a no brainer. Had he been active and contributing on S/T's every game and even getting some playing time consistently every game even just to spell the big two then I would agree with your view point. Based upon his multiple inactive status' this season and lack of contribution on S/T's when he was active and need for roster spots as two more important players get ready to come on the roster this was the best outcome to garner value for a player who had little on this roster.

Note I understand your concern regarding injury but the fact remains they have depth at TE in the form of Bennett backing up Gronk. Do they lose the double TE weapon, indeed, but in this day and age of salary caps and limited roster space you can't keep everyone.

Based upon his status on the roster - bottom 8 to 10 players - he has been active in 4 games and inactive in 3 this season that tells me his value to the team isn't the same as his perceived value by fans. Now as Tre Jackson and Deon Lewis become available there are two roster spots that need to be opened for them because both are more valuable than a 3rd TE who rarely plays TE and apparently doesn't contribute on S/T's enough to be active every game. Using that logic and the fact that if they cut him they get nothing but now have received a 5th round pick which is value this decision was a no brainer. Had he been active and contributing on S/T's every game and even getting some playing time consistently every game even just to spell the big two then I would agree with your view point. Based upon his multiple inactive status' this season and lack of contribution on S/T's when he was active and need for roster spots as two more important players get ready to come on the roster this was the best outcome to garner value for a player who had little on this roster.

Note I understand your concern regarding injury but the fact remains they have depth at TE in the form of Bennett backing up Gronk. Do they lose the double TE weapon, indeed, but in this day and age of salary caps and limited roster space you can't keep everyone.
That's a great point. With guys coming up to be activated, obviously they'll need roster spots. Given how limited they are in who they can keep, someone had to go and the choice is going to be based on the guys who aren't playing. In the case of Derby, keeping him would have been a luxury and obviously I'd take a player who can help them now over him on the active roster in a heartbeat, so I agree and as it's been mentioned, at least they got a pick for him. I was a little hung up on their persistence in the past using 2 tight ends and was basing my initial opinion on what we've seen in past seasons when they've lost one. However, the argument there is that back then, they didn't have nearly the amount of talent at WR for depth, which gets back to the point @AndyJohnson made earlier that they're at least better equipped this time to deal with it.

I'm surprised by the move but my trust in Belichick is so high that it doesn't bother me at all. Ultimately I think the 5th rounder was simply too good to pass up and I think he will find a way to maximize its worth, and his track record on in season moves is so good the last few years that I can't doubt any of the moves he is making. With Lewis coming back this offense is the most versatile I can remember and I expect Belichick, MacDaniels, and Brady to exploit that versatility to the max the rest of the season. Hopefully he has his eye on a TE/H-Back that we don't know about and will add one in coming weeks.

Essentially, they traded him for Mingo, who was acquired for the Pats 5th and has been a valuable ST guy. I'd make that deal - as long as Derby doesn't catch the winning TD in the AFCCG against the Pats!

I'm surprised by the move but my trust in Belichick is so high that it doesn't bother me at all. Ultimately I think the 5th rounder was simply too good to pass up and I think he will find a way to maximize its worth, and his track record on in season moves is so good the last few years that I can't doubt any of the moves he is making. With Lewis coming back this offense is the most versatile I can remember and I expect Belichick, MacDaniels, and Brady to exploit that versatility to the max the rest of the season. Hopefully he has his eye on a TE/H-Back that we don't know about and will add one in coming weeks.
My feeling exactly. The only thing that bothers me is the loss of depth at TE, but this is not something so unlikely or subtle that I think BB will be caught by surprise.
Patrick-Spongebob-Freak-Out-Run-In-Circles.gif

Lets step back here....

Clearly BB felt he can maximize value for another roster spot somewhere. If BB felt he was quality depth he would have kept him.

BB received a 5th rounder for a player who was drafted in the 6th round that was hurt and didn't play well.

I guess the only derby he was suited for was the Pinewood.

My slant on this:

Derby was a good looking prospect for the Pats in preseason, athletic, effective. He's making a position change, had a red shirt rookie year and legitimately beat out Clay Harbor for the #3 TE role. Good young TE with upside. Not (yet) anywhere close to Gronk or Bennett, but who knows what his ceiling is?

He's recently won a few team awards for Practice Player of the Week, so he's a hard working kid with the respect of the staff.

Lots to like.

But we all know BB is an unsentimental GM and a value hawk. A 5th round pick for an unblooded hard working kid that they're grooming is a pretty good offer.

I think it's a tricky thing managing the bottom of the active roster. Realize that BB just waived Anthony Johnson hoping to clear him to the PS-- that's another good young player who's been doing well for us at a position of need. Geno Grissom has been on the PS for a good chunk of the season, recently activated.

There's a game involved in managing a roster of players that is 60+ good players deep when the roster can only carry 53 of them. About seven of them at any time could just disappear, in exchange for nothing.

And although Derby is an injury away from being really important for us, and a promising long term prospect to boot, recognize that the ENTIRE ROSTER is like that.

Remember all the good young CBs who we had in training camp that we had to waive (for no compensation) because we couldn't carry any more. And that was before BB traded for Rowe. Talent is so good Cyrus Jones has been healthy inactive for consecutive weeks.

Grugier-Hill, too, victim of talent depth, and now playing for... the Eagles, iirc. Lost for no comp, and not because he didn't look good.

There is an entire cohort of good young players on the fringe of the roster, who will be good players in the league: Jonathan Jones, Ted Karras, DJ Foster...Derby too...these guys have survived a number of cut downs with tough competition. They're all assets for the team and one injury away from being even more important to the team. But they're also in the very fringe of getting waived to the PS to make room for an injury replacement, on any given day, and through no fault of their own.

If another GM were to step forward with a 5th round offer for ANY of these guys, of course BB is going to listen. Because he's got other quality and promising kids in the pipeline who deserve that roster spot too.

With all the depth, BB the GM needs to liquidate some of it and convert it into more portable assets that he can spin forward, or risk losing even more of them on the waiver wire for nothing.

Derby flashed enough in the preseason to attract the attention of the Broncos. Good for him, good for them, good for us too in the long run. And it can help ease some of the density at the bottom of the roster, made worse after acquiring Mingo, Rowe and Van Noy.

I am really sorry to see Derby go, he was a binky for me this offseason. But this is good business.

Hopefully we can mine more like him over time, and I'll be rooting for him in Denver, except when he's playing the Pats.

Perfect.

Lets step back here....

Yup, exactly - he was pure injury insurance, and frankly we have no solid way of knowing if he was even good injury insurance. We've got some guys coming back from the PUP soon, and chances are pretty high he would've been on the chopping block anyway, so why not get a pick for him?

I guess the only derby he was suited for was the Pinewood.

I think he and BB felt that has some talent as we saw in the preseason but after further evaluation of both him and their roster projections they felt they could do better.

That's a great point. With guys coming up to be activated, obviously they'll need roster spots. Given how limited they are in who they can keep, someone had to go and the choice is going to be based on the guys who aren't playing. In the case of Derby, keeping him would have been a luxury and obviously I'd take a player who can help them now over him on the active roster in a heartbeat, so I agree and as it's been mentioned, at least they got a pick for him. I was a little hung up on their persistence in the past using 2 tight ends and was basing my initial opinion on what we've seen in past seasons when they've lost one. However, the argument there is that back then, they didn't have nearly the amount of talent at WR for depth, which gets back to the point @AndyJohnson made earlier that they're at least better equipped this time to deal with it.

Thats the way I'm looking at it, Ian. Get something for him now as with Lewis, Jackson, maybe even Vollmer you will cut him anyway and BB knows he wouldn't have cleared waivers for PS. Suck it up by using Develin and Fleming when you need a 3rd TE/blocker. They have the receiver depth now as well.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
That's exactly how I view him, as a decent third tight end. My biggest problem with this isn't the fact that they traded him, it's the timing. If this was a move that was made in February or March, I would have been fine with it. But sending him to Denver midseason, while leaving yourself short-handed if there's an injury, that's the part I don't agree with. I think Derby was a more viable option than anybody else and they can try and pick up off the street now in the event one of those guys gets hurt. But again, if they made this move after the season was over, I really wouldn't have had that big of a problem with it.

Got it. Thanks.

sudfield all over again, except this time we got something in return.

derby was going to be a free agent before he learns how to block.....the guy is completely useless in that regard and may as well just have another WR or RB on the team

if bennett or gronk get hurt, derby wasn't going to offer much.......he looks great in preseason against scrubs though

bryce williams is still out there and he was just as good as derby

You're comparing Owen Daniels, a vet TE who has a proven track record with Derby, who was drafted by Belichick, evaluated intimately in practice and has never started an NFL game?

I was just commenting on what a TE in Kubiak's system can do against a great team like the Pats. Perhaps Derby was evaluated to be "not good enough" to handle a difficult system like ours (it has been said over and over the hardest offensive position on the Patriots after QB is TE). That does not mean he can't excel in Denver. After all, he played very well in the preseason based on leaping catches, strong hands, etc.

Weird timing but it appears the Pats are playing more 3 WR sets than I've seen them in some time and that they appear to be limiting the snaps Gronk and Martysaurus are taking. With that in mind it was likely Derby wouldn't have played very much at all. And as they say, you can't make the club from the tub.

I'm fine with the move mostly, thought he had some upside as a receiver but the Pats need more than that. And next year's TE class looks loaded.

Weird timing but it appears the Pats are playing more 3 WR sets than I've seen them in some time and that they appear to be limiting the snaps Gronk and Martysaurus are taking. With that in mind it was likely Derby wouldn't have played very much at all. And as they say, you can't make the club from the tub.

I'm fine with the move mostly, thought he had some upside as a receiver but the Pats need more than that. And next year's TE class looks loaded.

Yea, I am a bit surprised on how much they use the 3 wr sets. I've been wondering if Bennett's ankle injury affects his route running.

Just on a side note, what happened to the happy Bennett? I haven't seen the quotes after a game that we usually get from Bennett. Did he even do an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back