RB/FB/HBs not named Brian Leonard

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This board is developing something of a fixation on Brian Leonard. Let's just suppose for a moment that one of the other 31 teams drafts him. Who else should we look at?

Possibility 1: Heath Evans + Garrett Mills. Yes, Evans is a free agent but I can't imagine he'd be too tough to sign. Leonard may be more versatile and talented than either alone, but together they should cover the territory well.

Possibility 2: Jason Snelling, Virginia. 5'11" 235, has played both FB and RB. Strong blocker, solid North-South runner, good hands as a receiver, special teams star.

Other thoughts?

While Leonard is a nice player, and should be an asset to any team that drafts him, my guy is Garrett Wolfe out of No. Illinois. I'm OK with the Evans/Pass/Mills/Low profile FA to help out in the all-around RB game. I'd rather take the shifty athletic guy to gradually take over for Faulk as the 3rd down/change of pace RB. I'd love to see him come in round 6 or 7 to be part of a Garrett&Garrett RB corps.

Yo Dryheat, I was with you on Wolfe right up until I watched him in the No. Illinios bowl game. He was spanked and now I'm concerned about how he would perform against NFL defensive players.

If you want someone other than Leonard at that HB/FB position, Tony Hunt of Penn State is your man, depending on how he runs.

Yo Dryheat, I was with you on Wolfe right up until I watched him in the No. Illinios bowl game. He was spanked and now I'm concerned about how he would perform against NFL defensive players.

If you want someone other than Leonard at that HB/FB position, Tony Hunt of Penn State is your man, depending on how he runs.

I didn't see the NIU/TCU game. Maybe that's why his stock's fallen a bit. Was it a matter of NIU's offensive line getting abused by a quick defense? Wolfe did get 285 vs. Ohio St. early in the year.

I didn't see the NIU/TCU game. Maybe that's why his stock's fallen a bit. Was it a matter of NIU's offensive line getting abused by a quick defense? Wolfe did get 285 vs. Ohio St. early in the year.

I saw him in that game and couldn't decide whether the TEAM was outclassed and his performance was a result of that or he was in over his head against better competition.

That seems to be the only game against better competition that he ran well:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/players/3825/index.html

I think the biggest contributor to his poor showing was the 4-6 weeks that TCU had to prepare for him. They were disciplined and closed cutback lanes and seales the edges very well, sometimes with 9 men in the box.
However I do not want to put all the blame on Wolfe, because you are correct, the OL was tooled badly. Even OLT Free looked overmatched. And the QB was exposed a bit as well.

I saw him in that game and couldn't decide whether the TEAM was outclassed and his performance was a result of that or he was in over his head against better competition.

That seems to be the only game against better competition that he ran well:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/players/3825/index.html

Thanks for linking. With the exception of the Cent. Mich. game, it looks like his numbers got worse as the season went on. Nagging injury, or perhaps opponents focused on shutting him down. I imagine he was their primary and secondary threat offensively.

At any rate, he's not going to be a 18-20 touch guy in the NFL. But I think given 5-10 touches a game he could be very effective. His willingness/effectiveness in the blocking game is going to make or break his chances, I think.

Last edited:
Thanks for linking. With the exception of the Cent. Mich. game, it looks like his numbers got worse as the season went on. Nagging injury, or perhaps opponents focused on shutting him down. I imagine he was their primary and secondary threat offensively.

At any rate, he's not going to be a 18-20 touch guy in the NFL. But I think given 5-10 touches a game he could be very effective. His willingness/effectiveness in the blocking game is going to make or break his chances, I think.

Also, can he play ST's?

Also, can he play ST's?

Good point. He didn't return kicks or punts at NIU, but it's hard to see why he couldn't take reps at PR, or even backup both positions. He'd probably be a gameday inactive with the RB squad at full health.

Could the Pats look to re-unite the Gophers backfield by taking Gary Russell later in the draft?

Could the Pats look to re-unite the Gophers backfield by taking Gary Russell later in the draft?

I like some of the names I am hearing, Snell could be a primary STer and maybe stay of the practice squad for a year.

Russell could be a nice value pick, after missing 06 due to academics his stock won't be worth much and he sounds like he could be a decent 3rd down or change of pace back.

I haven't zeroed in on any RB yet. But, I'm not getting why Leonard is considered a first round or second round. Looking at different lists, he's all over the place.

I've probably seen him more than any RB this season. I really like the guy and wouldn't mind the Patriots using a 3rd or 4th on him. but, he was not even the featured back on his college team. If he was a first round talent, wouldn't he have been 'the guy' on his college team?

Kenny Irons from Auburn would be a good one.

A quick list of players I'm contemplating, their Combine/Pro-Day results will be a factor:
Le'Ron McClain - Alabama, 6' 265, 4.86/40, good Senior Bowl
Brandon Jackson - Nebraska, 5'11" 210, 4.49/40 reported natural hands
Darius Walker - Notre Dame, 5'10" 212, 4.5/40 Weiss guy
Gary Russell - Minnesota, 5'11" 195, 4.49/40 Academic trouble
Nate Ilaoa - Hawaii, 5'9" 245, 4.65/40 good receiver, weight issue
Jon Cornish - Kansas, 6' 210, 4.55/40 good in all phases
Curtis Brown - BYU, 6' 205, 4.59/40 productive receiver
Justin Vincent - LSU, 5'11" 235, 4.58/40 injury concerns
Justise Hairston - Central Connecticut State, 6'1" 210, 4.52/40 Transfer from Rutgers
Steve Baylark - Massachusetts, 5'11" 222, 4.65 four 1,000 yd seasons
Brad Lau - Boise State, 6' 242, 4.83 pure FB

What about Tony Hunt (Penn St.) 6'2" 219 4.54 RB-

A classic North / South guy who does everything well but nothing great...Saved the best for last and had his best season as a senior...Is not very flashy but he gets the job done and could develop into an adequate starter at the next level.

What about Tony Hunt (Penn St.) 6'2" 219 4.54 RB-

A classic North / South guy who does everything well but nothing great...Saved the best for last and had his best season as a senior...Is not very flashy but he gets the job done and could develop into an adequate starter at the next level.
I wasn't that impressed by Hunt during Senior Bowl week, or Kolby Smith and Kenny Irons for that matter. I wouldn't mind Irons brother for nickelback duties, especially if Mickens isn't re-signed - but that's for another thread.

Le'Ron McClain = Lorenzo Neal..lots of power. he was dropping people at the senior bowl

Le'Ron McClain - Alabama, 6' 265, 4.86/40, good Senior Bowl

From an interview:

Q: Le'Ron, is it more gratifying to score a touchdown yourself or lay a crushing block on a linebacker to spring your running back for a TD?

Le'Ron McClain: Laying a crushing block on a LB!
---

BB would like that answer.

I haven't zeroed in on any RB yet. But, I'm not getting why Leonard is considered a first round or second round. Looking at different lists, he's all over the place.

I've probably seen him more than any RB this season. I really like the guy and wouldn't mind the Patriots using a 3rd or 4th on him. but, he was not even the featured back on his college team. If he was a first round talent, wouldn't he have been 'the guy' on his college team?

Kenny Irons from Auburn would be a good one.

Leonard was the featured back for 3 of his 5 years at Rutgers. He moved to FB during his 3rd year, but was still the featuer back. The last 2, he was the lead blocker for Ray Rice, but still a damn good runner and an option out of the backfield.

The reason why he wasn't "THE GUY" on Rutgers is because Ray Rice was a higher talent than him. That doesn't mean he was bad. Look at the situation a few years ago in Miami with Gore and McGahee. Or in Auburn with Brown and Williams. Ray Rice is considered a 1st round pick in 2008 (junior declaration) or 2009.

Leonard was the featured back for 3 of his 5 years at Rutgers. He moved to FB during his 3rd year, but was still the featuer back. The last 2, he was the lead blocker for Ray Rice, but still a damn good runner and an option out of the backfield.

The reason why he wasn't "THE GUY" on Rutgers is because Ray Rice was a higher talent than him. That doesn't mean he was bad. Look at the situation a few years ago in Miami with Gore and McGahee. Or in Auburn with Brown and Williams. Ray Rice is considered a 1st round pick in 2008 (junior declaration) or 2009.

And if Dillon is actually retiring . . . RB would start to creep up on BB's list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes