PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rather get rid of a guy, 1 yr early than 1 yr too late..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I love Willie Mcginnist, he was a player, played that great game against Jax.. Sorry to see you go... But look he is a player on the downslope.. He will help Cleveland, as a vet leadership.. We need more youth and flexability at LB... Do we want to see Willie strugglin and be slow on the draw because we want to be semential.. Let Willie go, and lets see what are we going to do in Free agency..

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I love Willie Mcginnist, he was a player, played that great game against Jax.. Sorry to see you go... But look he is a player on the downslope.. He will help Cleveland, as a vet leadership.. We need more youth and flexability at LB... Do we want to see Willie strugglin and be slow on the draw because we want to be semential.. Let Willie go, and lets see what are we going to do in Free agency..
Agreed 100%

Ehhh....I gotta disagree. Willie could have still helped this team for one more season IMO. It's done though and I'll live.

huskeralk said:
Ehhh....I gotta disagree. Willie could have still helped this team for one more season IMO. It's done though and I'll live.
But he got $4M a year for 3 years with a good bonus which would make him tough to cut after one year. So it appears anyway.

Good for him. Bad for us.

WM got a nice retirement present from RAC. At this point WM is not an every down 16 game a year All Pro. That was yesterday. His clubhouse effect is worth a lot more to a perenial loser like Cleveland that it is to a perenial winner like the Pats. All that aside, I loved the guy. What a big game playmaker! We will definately miss him. Nothing to do now but go and try to find another one.

BelichickFan said:
But he got $4M a year for 3 years with a good bonus which would make him tough to cut after one year. So it appears anyway.

I would think that he might have accepted a little less to come back here and finish his career. I was thinking more of just a one year contract. I can't see him finishing that 3 year contract with Cleveland.

huskeralk said:
I would think that he might have accepted a little less to come back here and finish his career. I was thinking more of just a one year contract. I can't see him finishing that 3 year contract with Cleveland.
As was posted on another thread, it being a 2 year deal makes the most sense. A $4M dead cap hit would be a lot but if they scrap the last year then the $2M is manageable. It'll be interesting to see how much salary is on that last year.

We all said that there was no way that McGinist could get $7M of new money to play this year (as was required by his patriot contract). Well, he got $7M.

patpatriot said:
WM got a nice retirement present from RAC. At this point WM is not an every down 16 game a year All Pro. That was yesterday. His clubhouse effect is worth a lot more to a perenial loser like Cleveland that it is to a perenial winner like the Pats. All that aside, I loved the guy. What a big game playmaker! We will definately miss him. Nothing to do now but go and try to find another one.

mgteich said:
We all said that there was no way that McGinist could get $7M of new money to play this year (as was required by his patriot contract). Well, he got $7M.

Not everyone said that Willie wouldn't get $7 mill in new money. In fact, one of the "restructuring" proposals I had put up did just that.

But that is beside the point.

Willie is gone. It stinks. But life goes on.

mgteich said:

The pitfall of the Pats' player/value system is that another team will pay more (i.e. overpay in most cases) for one of our FA's. No way the Pats would sign him for 3 years/$12 million (especially the "3 years" part).

mgteich said:

Yes he did - but not from us....does it hurt, YES, were we right to not sign him for that kind of money, YES. We are fans, BB is the leader.

I respect BB even more now because he will not allow emotion to interfere with winning championships. He is following the successful Patriot model to the letter.

Had we overpaid for Givens, Willie and others and finished 9-7, what then??

re

This sucks, but I agree.

Willie was one of the guys who got this whole thing started. He will be greatly missed.

I thought the Pats might give him a 2-yr contract, but you can't blame Willie for going after 12Mill, or the Pats for moving on. For me, Willie leaving the Pats is like when the Sox let Pedro go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News