PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since you know everything about it, break it down for us then. What plays against which receivers did Dowling give up? What exactly was wrong with his covering technique?

Maybe "shutdown" was too strong a word. But he have up 2 catches in about 90 snaps from my estimation and made some nice plays in one-one-one coverage in the endzone against Marshall and Harline in Miami. Very small sample size but he looked like a very good starting caliber cover corner. Tell me how I'm wrong.

To be clear I completely agree with this. I think now he'll most likely never reach the potential I saw from him last year. I think his hip is chronically blown and won't be able to move the way he use to anytime soon, if ever.

You pretty much answered it for yourself. I'm not going to go back to the game and break down all 30 completions for 416 yards which included 16 to WRs, but if he played 'shut down' in that game, every one else in the secondary should be pumping gas.
Taking that game and projecting it to him having capable starter skills much less shut down, is a stretch of epic proportions.

I BELIEVE
that players who lose their entire rookie year (or all but one game) to injury are much less likely to achieve what their draft level would have suggested.

OTHER SEEM TO BELIEVE
that a rookie losing his rookie year and coming back from an injury after losing that season simply pick up where they left off, not being much affected by the loss of development time or being seriously impaired by the injury.

CONCLUSION
It is unreasonable to have the same expectation for Dowling going into 2012 that we had in 2011. The bar is lower after the injury and loss of a year.

The bar COULD BE lower depending upon the circumstances and in this case should be,

I just rewatched Arrington's befuddling play on Buffalo's last TD and hope Dowling gets alot better soon...

Size is one reason why we drafted him but if he can't stay wit them then he's going to be pretty useless out there. Don't know what has happened to Dowling. Looking like a wasted pick right now. But 50% of 2nd rounders will bust so those are the chances you take.

Pats are so hit or miss on 2nd rounders its ridiculous, lol. :bricks:

Just off the top of my head

Chung - Average
Spikes - VERY good lb
Gronk - Best TE in the game
Dowling - Meh
Cunningham - Meh, looks to be improving
Brace - Meh
Vareen - Same boat as Dowling
Butler - Bust
SeaBass - Good when healthy
Wheatly - Bust