PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling released

When he gets cut before next season, that's when he'll be the biggest bust. Right now, people are still holding onto that little shred of hope that he'll turn into even a serviceable safety.

Biggest bust? Not even close, Tavon has already done more than Chad Jackson did in his career.

If you meant "reach" see ^above^.

Biggest bust? Not even close, Tavon has already done more than Chad Jackson did in his career.

If you meant "reach" see ^above^.

Eh, that's debateable.

Walters Football Site: NFL Draft Value Chart

Pick #10 - 1,300
Pick #23 - 760
Difference - 540

Pick #48 - 420
Pick #212 - 6.6
Difference - 413.4

I don't necessarily take the value chart at face value, but it is absolutely true that the value cost of a "reach" is dramatically less in later rounds, even simply a single round move from 1st to 2nd.
I seriously doubt Jerod Mayo would have been available to the New England Patriots in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

23 - 10 = 13
212 -48 = 164

One can view it from a different perspective.

When he gets cut before next season, that's when he'll be the biggest bust. Right now, people are still holding onto that little shred of hope that he'll turn into even a serviceable safety.
Or the New England Patriots spent a second round draft pick on a special teams player.

I seriously doubt Jerod Mayo would have been available to the New England Patriots in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

23 - 10 = 13
212 -48 = 164

One can view it from a different perspective.

Sure, but this approach ignores the most important factor, the actual value of the picks. And I never said Mayo would have been available in the second round the value chart is for a later first rounder and it sill comes out ahead.

Tavon Wilson had 4 INTs and two fumble recoveries last year. Calling him the biggest bust next year is ridiculous. Have we forgotten about Ron Brace, Darius Butler (who has turned out decent in Indy), or Shawn Crable?

People around here really need to ease up on Tavon Wilson. The cargo culting is getting annoying.

Sure, but this approach ignores the most important factor, the actual value of the picks. And I never said Mayo would have been available in the second round the value chart is for a later first rounder and it sill comes out ahead.
That's not how I define reach.

Mayo graded out to be a 1st round draft pick and Mayo was selected in the first round.

Wilson graded out to be a 7th round draft pick and Wilson was selected in the second round.

A player's draft grade on draft day until three years into their career has two definitions:

1. Where the player actually ends up getting selected
2. Where every other self-anointed authority on football says they would have taken him

After three years into the player's career draft grade has one meaning:

1. Where would we pick this player now?

You know I'm shocked that the Jaguars haven't put a claim in for good ol' Glass IR yet.

You know I'm shocked that the Jaguars haven't put a claim in for good ol' Glass IR yet.

Tavon Wilson had 4 INTs and two fumble recoveries last year. Calling him the biggest bust next year is ridiculous. Have we forgotten about Ron Brace, Darius Butler (who has turned out decent in Indy), or Shawn Crable?

People around here really need to ease up on Tavon Wilson. The cargo culting is getting annoying.

I have little interest in ranking the failures. I find it curious though--and a tad incongruous---that, based on a handful of games played at the position, there is serious doubt that Tavon Wilson will ever develop into a reliable safety, and complete confidence that on the other side Devin McCourty is the answer.

I was definitely in favor of drafting Dowling if he turned out to be a good player. Since that's not the way it turned out, I was against it.

I also thought that Adrian Klemm would be a bust because I was pretty sure that was the same Adrian from the Rocky movies.

I wish the Patirots had drafted Marino in 1983 and Jerry Rice in 1985 and that my father had bought Berkshire Hathaway stock in 1955.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back