PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling May Be the Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Look, I'm probably starting another fire with this one (similar to the Devin McCourty thread), but I can't help but post this because it's all I've been reading about Dowling. It really sounds like we have the real deal at one of the CB spots at least. I don't know if I've read more than one negative thing about him since training camp began. If this guy can stay on the field, then I'd have to say, based on this training camp and the snippet we saw of him last season, that this guy may be our true shutdown man and McCourty will end up being the complement (like Ty Poole was to Ty Law).

CB Ras-I Dowling continues to make progress. Physically, he has been much-improved from where he was in the off-season practices, and now he has started making plays on the ball. On Sunday he had an interception, and on Monday he made a terrific break on a pass in the flat from Brady to Brandon Lloyd. Dowling jumped it like he knew it was coming – that’s an advantage vets use during camp because they can identify the route combinations – but after practice he said he broke so fast because he was reading Brady. Next progress point for Dowling: performing against the Saints.

Practice rundown #10 - Extra Points - Boston.com

yet, i hear he struggles against small ,quicker guys. He has never been healthy for a whole season in the last 4 yrs....that is a long time in football career.

my expectation for him is a high one. Play 1 full season for now.

yet, i hear he struggles against small ,quicker guys. He has never been healthy for a whole season in the last 4 yrs....that is a long time in football career.

Most taller corners do (i.e. someone like A. Cromartie). I've read some of the same criticisms about Asomugha. He'll be fine on the outside against the bigger targets, though. I don't imagine he'll be in the slot too much if he continues to show prowess on the outside in training camp and preseason.

You're right, however, in your assertion that the guy needs to play a full season. I don't know if I can say I'm confident that it will happen for him based simply on his documented history of injury. He and B. Spikes give the defense a different look when they're out there, but staying out there is the issue. The same could definitely be said about Chung as well.

Hopefully this is a sign of him making a fantastic play and not one of Brady making a poor decision. This is great news though, can't wait to watch the game!

That's not entirely true Satz, but you know that already.

Bottom Line: The league doesn't have a lot of "small quicker guys" playing outside the numbers anymore. Just about everyone we face this year will have a guy 6'3+ to compete against. Lets not CREATE problems when there is no need to.

If you're going to say things like that you should have your facts straight. He was injured in High School and as a senior in college. And, of course, last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1272251

"Had appeared in 35 of a possible 37 games for the Cavaliers prior to his senior season"

And one of those two missing games was his first game as a freshman, not injury related. Not sure about the other but it was one in three years.

I hate to be a jerk but you're wrong and spreading misperceptions. When we drafted the"injury prone" Dowling he has only missed games due to injury in one year since high school.

Last edited:
If you're going to say things like that you should have your facts straight. He was injured in High School and as a senior in college. And, of course, last year.

I hate to be a jerk but you're wrong and spreading misperceptions. When we drafted the"injury prone" Dowling he has only missed games due to injury in one year since high school.

VPI grad undoubtedly

Most teams have a WR that is 6'2+ so I'm not really worried about him matching up with shorter WR

Most teams have a WR that is 6'2+ so I'm not really worried about him matching up with shorter WR

Same here. That's why we have Arrington. He'll deal with the shorter, quicker guys. He's much better suited for it in almost every way.

Last edited:

Ras-I Dowling, Virginia, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

"Had appeared in 35 of a possible 37 games for the Cavaliers prior to his senior season"

And one of those two missing games was his first game as a freshman, not injury related. Not sure about the other but it was one in three years.

When exactly did a review of the actual facts matter at patsfans.com...when patsfans.com knows something?

When patsfans.com knows something...it's known.

it can even be proved sometimes with very selective application of facts.

Ras-I Dowling, Virginia, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Yeah, I don't get the whole rap he got for an injury plagued career came from. Yes, he missed most of his senior year and some time in high school, but he played most of his college career.

Look I like Ras-I and think some of the injury stuff is overblown. he looked really really good in the (what?) 2 games to start the season before he got hurt. But my question is; if he is the answer--- what was the question?

He and McCourty are the presumed RCB / LCB respectively.
(they were both last year Gm1 and will be again).

With the passing nature of today's NFL there will be few plays where they dont have essentially 3 CBs (or else 3 S) on the field anyway. with the nature of the Pats and CBs [injury history] we are going to see at least 2 other guys besides Ras and McC as RCB/LCB during the course of 16 games.

AND Overall the pass defense is way too dependent on the overall D-team synergy - good or bad pressure & coverage assistance from S and LBs will make a cb look good or bad. It all has to come together.

So again what exactly was the question?

Last edited:
Look I like Ras-I and think some of the injury stuff is overblown. he looked really really good in the (what?) 2 games to start the season before he got hurt. But my question is; if he is the answer--- what was the question?

He and McCourty are the presumed RCB / LCB respectively.
(they were both last year Gm1 and will be again).

With the passing nature of today's NFL there will be few plays where they dont have essentially 3 CBs (or else 3 S) on the field anyway. with the nature of the Pats and CBs [injury history] we are going to see at least 2 other guys besides Ras and McC as RCB/LCB during the course of 16 games.

AND Overall the pass defense is way too dependent on the overall D-team synergy - good or bad pressure & coverage assistance from S and LBs will make a cb look good or bad. It all has to come together.

So again what exactly was the question?

Respect. It was more an expression or turn of phrase than something to be taken literally. There obviously was no question asked.

Jeez, tough critics here. Spent the last five years complaining about not having any CBs big enough to match up against taller receivers, and now that we do some people are questioning whether he can cover smaller receivers? Even if that is true, having the option to match a bigger CB on a bigger receiver is definitely worthwhile. I've been hoping Dowling can succeed in that role.

If he can just stay healthy, answering the thread title, yes. One of the few things I got to see out of Dowling was a play in week one where he knocked away an intended pass to Brandon Marshall in the endzone. He did look impressive there.

Not in the least bit surprising...he's an outside corner. The attributes needed to cover slot guys and taller, bulkier outside split ends is more different than people like to make out.

As for Dowling...this should be of no surprise. Showed very promising flashes before he got hurt last year. If he stays healthy, he could be our best corner this year...and that isn't a bad thing either.

Just because a player was not "scratched" from a game, doesn't mean he was not injured. For example, Dowling pulled a hamstring in the beginning of camp last year, missed a lot of time in camp and preseason, but wound up starting the first two games. The time he spent rehabbing or resting because of his injury could have been time spent practicing and becoming a better player, but he battled that injury which stunted his progress. So he didn't technically miss an official game, but he was injured.

Patriots need Ras-I Dowling to be healthy - Boston.com

In his first practice, Dowling pulled his hamstring, and he was out 20 days, missing the first two exhibition games. He returned to practice Aug. 22, sat out the third exhibition, then played against the Giants in the preseason finale.

Despite having only a week of practice and one game under his belt, Dowling started at right cornerback the first two games of the season.

That’s how much the Patriots thought of him.

Another leg injury had him on the inactive list for three of the next four games (he didn’t play in the other), before Dowling landed on injured reserve and wound up having hip surgery.

Between his final season in college and his rookie season with the Patriots, Dowling started four of a possible 28 games.

Players go through rough injury stretches. It happens, and many have long and healthy careers. But with Dowling, the worry is that it’s a pattern.

As a high school junior, he broke his hand. As a senior, he battled a knee injury. In his freshman year in college, Dowling missed a showdown against Southern Cal with a hamstring injury and left the North Carolina game with a back ailment.

Dowling had no injuries in 2009, before hamstring and knee injuries plus a broken ankle wiped out his final six games as a senior. A hamstring injury ended Dowling’s scouting combine after one run of the 40-yard dash.

I think it's disingenuous to say "Had appeared in 35 of a possible 37 games for the Cavaliers prior to his senior season" and use that to back your claim that he doesn't have an injury history when there are other facts that support why people have labeled him injury prone.

Last edited:
He just pulled his groin, reading this thread, he will be out 4-6 weeks....

You expect to get more than one game from the 33 pick in the draft...

that this guy may be our true shutdown man and McCourty will end up being the complement (like Ty Poole was to Ty Law).
I don't think it's unreasonable to project Dowling as the top cover guy. McCourty has yet to emerge as that guy this year.

But I wouldn't count McCourty out just yet.

With those two reaching their potential, plus Arrington, they would be a different defense, regardless of what improvements have been made up front.

I am really excited about this guy. He looked good in the limited reps he had last year. It's all about staying healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST