PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss (Mildly) Hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: stretching as a preventative of muscle strains/tears. Some camps believe that stretching can cause more good than harm.

I don't have the time to get into this now but in my practice I regularly treat athletes from all walks of life including many professionals (hockey players). Nowadays I'd say that about 1/2 of the athletes I treat don't stretch muscle groups in direct fashion (ie specific quad or hamstring stretch) prior to commencing with their regular workout. This is compared to maybe 1/5th back a decade ago. Most simply start off their workouts going slowly by limiting the amount of exersion being applied and limbering up this way.

I don't know about unpopular. I do know it is wrong. You and I can avoid muscle pulls because we don't have massive muscles working in pairs, one against the other, in our bodies, and we use our muscles to walk to the fridge for a beer, not to use every ounce of power available to compete with other super athletes.

You really believe that hamstring pulls, the injury that has affected almost all WRs sometime in their career, is easily avoided?

WRs need to run fast. They need strong quads (front of leg) and weak hamstrings (back of leg). Quads and hamstrings are opposing muscles, each resisting the other.

Strong quads propel the runner. Hamstrings resist the quads. If the quads are too strong, they tear the hamstring (strains are small tears). So the goal is this balancing act between a hamstring strong enough not to tear but weak enough that speed isn't affected.

That's why hamstrings are the occupational injury of WRs and CBs.

YOU can prevent a hamstring pull easily by stretching. Not a WR.

But I would like your reasoning as to why all NFL teams have players that suffer from hamstring and groin muscle pulls and tears if they are easily avoidable. Is it a conspiracy involving all 32 trainers in the league?

Good post. Let me just summarize what I think is the most important general theme for some out there who want to blame someone or the other: INJURIES HAPPEN IN SPORTS.

Last edited:
Oh no...the kiss of death...CoachB said Randy is "day to day"...!!!!!!

Good post. Let me just summarize what I think is the most important general theme for some out there who want to blame someone or the other: INJURIES HAPPEN IN SPORTS.

Yes they do, they just happen way more often to the Patriots and our DBs

But it must have nothing to do with the trainers... it's just been a crazy coincidence the last 4 years. Yep, that's it.

Let's see, do I believe anonymous messageboard posters or the 2 time trainer of the year with more SB rings than any coach in history.

Wow, might be a tossup.:rolleyes:

But it must have nothing to do with the trainers... it's just been a crazy coincidence the last 4 years. Yep, that's it.

Haven't there been a lot of non-muscle related injuries? Rodney got his knee taken out...twice...and broke his clavicle. Hobbs broke his hand. Those are the two that come readily to mind. Anyone else care to add, or does Keegs have a point?

Haven't there been a lot of non-muscle related injuries? Rodney got his knee taken out...twice...and broke his clavicle. Hobbs broke his hand. Those are the two that come readily to mind. Anyone else care to add, or does Keegs have a point?

I made my point.

Our team suffers a ridiculous amount of injuries every year and i blame the trainers.

Honestly, I don't see any evidence that our players get injured more. I think we all have - at times - accepted the notion that we have been hit by injuries harder than most...almost as an excuse at times, but when you look around the league, I think you ultimately see about the same amount of injuries.

Maybe over the last four years we've been hit hardest by injuries overall.

However, we haven't always been way above everyone else each year. It's not as if we have 30 injuries per year and second place has 12. We just don't pay attention as much to the other teams in the NFL.

I just went to 10 random team sights, and each team had one or more players already on IR.

It's been mentioned that Belichick writes down and charts everything so he doesn't make the same mistake twice. When some would complain about the playcalling and/or strategy, people would point out that it is Belichick's gameplan and if he didn't like it, he would have fixed it a long time ago.

Are we now to believe that Belichick is so stubborn or dumb that it's really because the training staff has sucked for five years but Belichick has simply turned the other cheek?

The patriots also often use some of their every day players in special teams rolls. The more you play the better the chance you will get hurt.

I made my point.

Our team suffers a ridiculous amount of injuries every year and i blame the trainers.
Well I blame George Steinbrenner! See? You can be misinformed and still have a strong opinion, like Keegs here.

Fine guys, you are right... it's an amazing 4 year coincidence.

Fine guys, you are right... it's an amazing 4 year coincidence.
It's no coincidence, it's a concious choice on Belichick's part. He likes his players to train at full speed, and he likes to use starters on special teams. To him, the risk of extra injuries is offset by having his players be more prepared, and by having the best available players on special teams. That's both why we have injuries and why we have good backups.

How does Randy participate in his "speed camp" all summer long and then come in and get a bum hamstring? Man that sucks.

I wonder if the press will dog BB with constant questions about Moss' health like they did to Parcells about TO hamstring last year? That type of crap ruins teams.... I think it was the main reason for Pacells retirement - dealing with stupid questions from the press.

Fortunately the Pats are ESPN's favorite pet.

How does Randy participate in his "speed camp" all summer long and then come in and get a bum hamstring? Man that sucks.

I wonder if the press will dog BB with constant questions about Moss' health like they did to Parcells about TO hamstring last year? That type of crap ruins teams.... I think it was the main reason for Pacells retirement - dealing with stupid questions from the press.

Fortunately the Pats are ESPN's favorite pet.

Wow, for a second I was thinking "how is this huge assclown a Pats fan?" and then I looked at your screenname and everything made sense.

Wow, for a second I was thinking "how is this huge assclown a Pats fan?" and then I looked at your screenname and everything made sense.

my dig at East-coast Sports Programming Network aside, the question is valid... sorry if I interrupted nirvana.

It's no coincidence, it's a concious choice on Belichick's part. He likes his players to train at full speed, and he likes to use starters on special teams. To him, the risk of extra injuries is offset by having his players be more prepared, and by having the best available players on special teams. That's both why we have injuries and why we have good backups.
That might be the case if it was for ALL of CoachB's tenure...but it isn't. The 02 team had far fewer injuries than any of the other 4 years.

Felger's already complaining about Moss and teh injury and...blah blah blah!!
Injuries happen..it's not a big deal...(yet..and will not be)

That might be the case if it was for ALL of CoachB's tenure...but it isn't. The 02 team had far fewer injuries than any of the other 4 years.
Luck plays into it, too. Otherwise every player would be injured, not just a minority.

my dig at East-coast Sports Programming Network aside, the question is valid... sorry if I interrupted nirvana.

You do realize a lot of Pats fans dislike ESPN b/c of it's muckracking and often negative stance against the Pats over the years.

As for the east coast being represented more, they are going to show coverage of who matters more, east or west. Do you think Red Sox or Yankee fans really want to be subjected to Barry Bonds ass-ki**ing 24/7? No, but ESPN has decided that that is what matters right now. It's a national network, and just like a national news show is going to show top stories, ESPN will do like-wise.

All that said, I do think ESPN sucks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft