PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders Sign Andre Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Hightower played on the line occasionally at Alabama, and he definitely has better size, speed, and length than ninkovich. Nink looked good at OLB last year, why not swap the two, since he is ineffective thus far at DE, and really looks out of his element.

We have the talent we need to make changes to are approach.

1. Move Jones around to LE, and DT to exploit match ups.
2. Rush Spikes, Mayo, and Hightower from the LB position. Especially Mayo.
3. Use Hightower as LB/DE hybrid in the sub packages. Keeping him, Mayo, Spikes all on the field.
4. Use Cunningham, Scott, Bequette at LE. Nink is a good player but he would be better served as a occasional sub rusher and are 4th LB.
5. Rest Wilfork more in base packages so he is fresh on passing downs. Use Deaderick and Brace more.
6. Bring back the chaos fronts that we utilized back in the days of Willie and Vrabel.

Noooooooooooooooo

After watching Ninkovich's pathetic pass rush on SNF... I was hoping we'd bring Carter back.

Its very hard to successfully rush when you are being held all night long and your opponent is never penalised for it.

This.

Hightower played on the line occasionally at Alabama, and he definitely has better size, speed, and length than ninkovich. Nink looked good at OLB last year, why not swap the two, since he is ineffective thus far at DE, and really looks out of his element.

Perhaps take it a step further.

Hightower at end in the nickel. That way you don't have to take him off the field for the arguably inferior other LBs on the roster. If he can play well at end, it might be worth a try.

Its very hard to successfully rush when you are being held all night long and your opponent is never penalised for it.
He didn't get "held all night long", got held once. The rest of the game he was being effortlessly blocked off by Balt's rookie RT.

The Patriots obviously didn't see in Carter this year whatever they saw in him last year before his incredible season. Shadow roster is for guys who can compete in a minor role at some point in case of injury or emergency, guys like Deion Branch and Kevin Faulk. An Andre Carter who could produce similar to last year is not a shadow roster individual, that is a shoe in for the final 53. Until you see Carter actually doing something for the Raiders you can't assume he'd be any better than Stinkovich at this point.

We have the talent we need to make changes to are approach.

1. Move Jones around to LE, and DT to exploit match ups.
2. Rush Spikes, Mayo, and Hightower from the LB position. Especially Mayo.
3. Use Hightower as LB/DE hybrid in the sub packages. Keeping him, Mayo, Spikes all on the field.
4. Use Cunningham, Scott, Bequette at LE. Nink is a good player but he would be better served as a occasional sub rusher and are 4th LB.
5. Rest Wilfork more in base packages so he is fresh on passing downs. Use Deaderick and Brace more.
6. Bring back the chaos fronts that we utilized back in the days of Willie and Vrabel.

yeah, using cunningham at LE, and maybe moving him inside occassionally and playing Hightower at end in nickel packages like someone said would SEEM to be a good idea...and would afford wilfork or love some rest.

Kolb would have been murdered last week, except that every time Jones flushed him out of the pocket (pretty much every other pass play) he was able to escape to his right because Ninkovich couldn't get past his guy. All I want is someone who can at least be there for a gimme sack when Jones chases the QB away.
Flacco did the same exact thing. There were a few times when Jones blew past Oher but Flacco just immediately slid to the right where there was plenty of space and no pressure. The LDE side has been completely killing the pass rush.

Last edited:
Soooo, we're equating a signing by the Raiders ... the Raiders ... with a bad decision by the Pats.

Wow, this place needs a win something fierce.

Soooo, we're equating a signing by the Raiders ... the Raiders ... with a bad decision by the Pats.

Wow, this place needs a win something fierce.
The Raiders traded for Richard Seymour. In that time, he's continued his production and we've been struggling to find tackles and ends that can provide a consistent pass rush.

Last edited:
The Raiders traded for Richard Seymour. In that time, he's continued his production and we've been struggling to find tackles and ends that can provide a consistent pass rush.

And NE got a first back that they turned into Nate Solder. The Raiders traded Randy Moss for a 4th, among a zillion other misses/overpays. Every team has weaknesses that need addressing, and NE has improved its pass rush. Let's give it more than 3 games, especially given that atrocity in Baltimore.

The point is that if the Pats thought Carter was healthy enough (and they could make the money work), he'd be back. They didn't, and a bunch of other teams, including the Raiders, passed on Carter. No one on this board has a hundredth of the info that the Pats front office has, which is why I always shake my head when people on this board go off about personnel decisions.

Last edited:

What are you talking about???? Seymour is finished....he has an arthritic knee and Oakland fans can't wait to get rid of him and his contract.

From their board:

"seymour's washed up. his arthritic knee is never going to get better. and he'll just continue to take plays off and jog for the rest of his raider career."

"LMAO at trading Seymour. Who the hell wants him?"

"Exactly 0 teams in the NFL will trade for Seymour and his absurd contract. He will be cut in the offseason for sure but until then we just have to hope that Allen/Tarver can at least get something out of the guy. His body is breaking down and motivation is lacking. Al would have probably blown the 1st round pick anyway but I'm glad we aren't going to see any more of these stopgap moves for broken down, aging players."

"Seymour stole form our team. I'm drinking Duvel when he is gone. By the time its over, I think even Al's Shadow will be glad the guy is gone. He is the heart and sole of our useless pathetic defense. Enough said right there."

Oakland Raider Forums

So who would you want right now.....Solder or Seymour? This trade was a no brainer. We got the best of it by far.

before we overreact over the pass rush for 1 game this year..lets give it a few more weeks :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's not like the Ravens weren't holding the entire game or anything.

And NE got a first back that they turned into Nate Solder. The Raiders traded Randy Moss for a 4th, among a zillion other misses/overpays. Every team has weaknesses that need addressing, and NE has improved its pass rush. Let's give it more than 3 games, especially given that atrocity in Baltimore.

The point is that if the Pats thought Carter was healthy enough (and they could make the money work), he'd be back. They didn't, and a bunch of other teams, including the Raiders, passed on Carter. No one on this board has a hundredth of the info that the Pats front office has, which is why I always shake my head when people on this board go off about personnel decisions.
I'm neither here nor there on the Seymour trade. It may have been the difference between another NE Superbowl victory, it may not. What the Seymour trade turns into will be determined by the play of Solder.

What are you talking about???? Seymour is finished....he has an arthritic knee and Oakland fans can't wait to get rid of him and his contract.

From their board:

"seymour's washed up. his arthritic knee is never going to get better. and he'll just continue to take plays off and jog for the rest of his raider career."

"LMAO at trading Seymour. Who the hell wants him?"

"Exactly 0 teams in the NFL will trade for Seymour and his absurd contract. He will be cut in the offseason for sure but until then we just have to hope that Allen/Tarver can at least get something out of the guy. His body is breaking down and motivation is lacking. Al would have probably blown the 1st round pick anyway but I'm glad we aren't going to see any more of these stopgap moves for broken down, aging players."

"Seymour stole form our team. I'm drinking Duvel when he is gone. By the time its over, I think even Al's Shadow will be glad the guy is gone. He is the heart and sole of our useless pathetic defense. Enough said right there."

Oakland Raider Forums

So who would you want right now.....Solder or Seymour? This trade was a no brainer. We got the best of it by far.
Seymour's production and impact on the line has remained similar to his level in New England. Don't let Raiders fans misrepresent his importance to the line because he's not putting up Jared Allen numbers.

Before sprouting off about getting the best of the trade, that's simply not true. We may feel we got the best of the trade, but the performance of players need to be monitored to make that call. What do we know? The Patriots fiscal policy is better off for making the trade.

The Patriots need a better pass rush. The Giants have proven you can win in modern football with scrubbers for DB's.

Last edited:
The Patriots need a better pass rush. The Giants have proven you can win in modern football with scrubbers for DB's.

We have the scrubber DBs going for us, so we're getting there.:D

Seymour's production and impact on the line has remained similar to his level in New England. Don't let Raiders fans misrepresent his importance to the line because he's not putting up Jared Allen numbers.

Before sprouting off about getting the best of the trade, that's simply not true. We may feel we got the best of the trade, but the performance of players need to be monitored to make that call. What do we know? The Patriots fiscal policy is better off for making the trade.

So Seymour is playing only half of Oakland's defensive snaps this season and it's nearly universal among Raider fans that they can't wait to get rid of him, but we can't make a call on this trade????

As to his importance to their Defensive line....they have the 20th ranked rush defense and the 23rd ranked overall defense. So, yeah......not too important.

Let's see....Seymour is making about 11 million this year versus Solder's 2 million (total compensation).

Seymour won't be on the Raiders next year and Solder will be our starting LT for the next 10 years. So that's....Seymour.....or......Solder for the next 10 years and an extra 9 million dollars in cap space.

Done deal....Solder and 9 million...hands down.

Last edited:
The Raiders are one of, if not the worst team in football, and Andre Carter is coming off a serious injury and is no longer a spring chicken.

I agree that if he plays close to form, this will be a huge muck up by the Pats. But I'm not convinced he will yet.

Watching the pass rush so far, forget LDE... I really, really wish the Fanene situation had worked out.

Carter apparently had to sign injury waivers on both his quad and back...so hes still questionable. raiders are just desperate

Physically speaking, Ninkovich and Bequette are the only people equipped to play LDE in our defense. Cunningham could be too but I'm not sure about his weight. Supposedly he's put on 10 or 15 pounds. You usually want a guy with some size to help set the edge. This spot is where a lot of people thought Hightower could rotate at but he's looking like an LB only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back