PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders Sign Andre Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carter has 4 years of double digit sacks and has 6 sacks or more in 7 of his 11 years. Ninkovich has 12 career sacks and had a career high of 6.5 sacks last season. Cunningham has 2 sacks in his 2+ year career.

Maybe Trevor Scott (1.5 sacks since 2009) is the answer.

DI do you think Carter is really going to be what he was last year? Aside from us why wouldn't the Raven (Suggs injury), Jets, or one of the other teams who need a pass rusher bring him in.

Do you think Carter was sitting around saying I am not playing till I get that contract offer from the Oakland Raiders?

You know,it's scary and sad to think of how raw and green some of our younger guys are when we beg that 2 players in thier mid 30s (Waters,Carter) can play again for the team,because the guys 10 years younger are not getting the job done :eek:

Chandler Jones is a good replacement for Carter even though he does not yet have the experience or the productivity to go with it. The problem is that he is our only credible pass rusher. Ninko has neither the speed nor strength to be an effective rusher and waiting for Wilfork, Love, or Brace to get to the QB is like waiting for Godot. BB he had a bad year in free agency and it sur elooks like he did not do his homework on Fanene. Perhaps he can try letting Hightower put his hand down.

DI do you think Carter is really going to be what he was last year? Aside from us why wouldn't the Raven (Suggs injury), Jets, or one of the other teams who need a pass rusher bring him in.

I don't know. I do think that he has as many sacks as Trevor Scott, 0.5 fewer sacks than Ninkovich, and 1 sack fewer than Cunningham, as of right now. The Patriots have 3 sacks in 3 games. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's possible, albeit not certain, that Carter might offer some help in that area.

Do you think Carter was sitting around saying I am not playing till I get that contract offer from the Oakland Raiders?

How is this relevant?

[/QUOTE]How is this relevant?[/QUOTE]

Do you really need me to answer this questions?

Its relevant because it shows that several evaluations by multiple teams determined Carter is not deserving of a roster spot. And you're suggesting otherwise.

before we overreact over the pass rush for 1 game this year..lets give it a few more weeks :rolleyes:

This time last year, Andre Carter had a half of a sack and the Pats weren't getting much pressure on QBs. In fact, Carter only had a half of a sack until week six. I am not a huge Ninkovch fan, but I agree we have to give it time. The Pats tend to get more exotic with their defense as the season goes along and play better.

Last edited:
This time last year, Andre Carter had a half of a sack and the Pats weren't getting much pressure on QBs. In fact, Carter only had a half of a sack until week six. I am not a huge Ninkovch fan, but I agree we have to give it time. The Pats tend to get more exotic with their defense as the season goes along and play better.

This. If you remember, Carter was saying that the pass rush was still a work in progress and was 'almost there'.

After he said that, he and Anderson went on a sacking spree.

Noooooooooooooooo

After watching Ninkovich's pathetic pass rush on SNF... I was hoping we'd bring Carter back.

So is Carter better at avoiding being blatantly held than the Pats' current DEs?

How is this relevant?

Do you really need me to answer this questions?

Its relevant because it shows that several evaluations by multiple teams determined Carter is not deserving of a roster spot. And you're suggesting otherwise.

As long as Carter is ready to play, one team is all that was needed. What multiple teams do is frequently meaningless, different teams have different needs and criteria, and Belichick has often talked about how he doesn't care what the 31 other teams are doing.

Your question, at least as worded, really wasn't relevant.

Last edited:
before we overreact over the pass rush for 1 game this year..lets give it a few more weeks :rolleyes:

People have wanted Carter back since day one, so I don't think this is just people overreacting over the pass rush for 1 game.

Also, 3 sacks in 3 games isn't just overreacting based on 1 game.

This. If you remember, Carter was saying that the pass rush was still a work in progress and was 'almost there'.

After he said that, he and Anderson went on a sacking spree.

Last season, the Patriots were trying to get Albert Haynesworth to anchor a defensive line along with Vince. This year, Kyle Love is that anchor along with Wilfork in the middle. Carter on one side of Love/Wilfork with Chandler Jones on the other would be very exciting.

No matter, if Matt Patricia would get his head out of his @$$ and blitz more than twice per game, we could see a little pressure by the Patriots. I thought the Pats didn't blitz once in Charm City, but Bedard said this morning that they blitzed twice. Big whoop.

The Patriots DBs are good and fast. A little heat on the QB would allow them to attack the ball more and not try to stick with their guys while the QB picks them apart, Matt!

Matt! Matt? Anybody home, Matt? Flacco was not touched - no QB hits and no QB sacks. His Momma doesn't even have to wash his uniform this week.

Matt? Matt, get your head out of the towel soaked in ether and dial up a little defense, Matt.

Last edited:

No but at least they got hits on the QB and hurries in the 1st 2 games..last week he wasn't rushed at all. Even if they get no sacks hurries and knockdown mean something

So... who's going to bookend Jones now? Pretty much has to be one of Cunningham (hasn't been used in this role), Ninkovich (hasn't been good in this role) or Bequette (hasn't been used at all). Kolb would have been murdered last week, except that every time Jones flushed him out of the pocket (pretty much every other pass play) he was able to escape to his right because Ninkovich couldn't get past his guy. All I want is someone who can at least be there for a gimme sack when Jones chases the QB away.

Looking kind of doubtful that we'll get that, unless Ninkovich comes out of nowhere and delivers it.

Last edited:
No but at least they got hits on the QB and hurries in the 1st 2 games..last week he wasn't rushed at all. Even if they get no sacks hurries and knockdown mean something

Absolutely. Someone here referred to what they obviously considered a slow start last year, as if that was supposed to make this year seem better because of it. Even with that 'slow start' and a zero sack game in week three just like this year, that team had 6 sacks through 3 games.

Last edited:
Chandler Jones is a good replacement for Carter even though he does not yet have the experience or the productivity to go with it. The problem is that he is our only credible pass rusher. Ninko has neither the speed nor strength to be an effective rusher and waiting for Wilfork, Love, or Brace to get to the QB is like waiting for Godot. BB he had a bad year in free agency and it sur elooks like he did not do his homework on Fanene. Perhaps he can try letting Hightower put his hand down.

This.

Hightower played on the line occasionally at Alabama, and he definitely has better size, speed, and length than ninkovich. Nink looked good at OLB last year, why not swap the two, since he is ineffective thus far at DE, and really looks out of his element.

Oooops. The Patriots tried to get too cute/cheap once again and got burned.....

People have wanted Carter back since day one, so I don't think this is just people overreacting over the pass rush for 1 game.

The sack numbers are flawed and shouldn't be used as the measuring stick. The holding going on in the NFL through 3 weeks is unseen. I want to see what Jones and the others do with real refs.

This might be a little off topic, but I've had this thought in my head pretty much all season: Ninkovich is a very good (above average) starting linebacker, but a very disappointing DE. Why are the coaches messing with that? I think Cunningham should get a shot.

The sack numbers are flawed and shouldn't be used as the measuring stick. The holding going on in the NFL through 3 weeks is unseen. I want to see what Jones and the others do with real refs.

The sack numbers are fine as a measuring stick. I'm not claiming that they are all that matters, after all.

Also, I don't recall you griping about Jones needing real refs after the first two weeks, although maybe I missed those posts.

BTW, NE is being credited with 4 sacks on NFL.com, not 3, so there's a discrepancy between them and Pro-football-reference.com, and that ties them with Miami for 27th in the league. The bottom feeders of the 2012 sack world, to date:

Miami
NE
Rams
Jets
Raiders
Jags

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24