Price for D Hopkins might be going down- rumor that he might be RELEASED

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I am not sure how reliable "bro bible" is, but they are citing Albert Breer, who is a good source.

“There’s nobody who was willing to take on Hopkins’ contract and pay the Cardinals initial asking price.”

So, do you offer him a decent contract if you were to keep all of your draft picks in your pocket? Why not?

oops, I just saw that this was already posted in th free agency thread.

Mods can decide if it's worth its own thread.

oops, I just saw that this was already posted in th free agency thread.

Mods can decide if it's worth its own thread.
It is worth its own thread

The basic question is How Much, on two levels?

If its an out-right release, how much will we have to pay him to get him here? 18 or 19 aav? oof, thats a lot of cheddar for an aging player... I'd be happier to do so if he was more circumspect in his PED usage... but he goes and gets himself caught... I dont care that he uses peds, but it does signify that he is on the decline, and he knows it...

or if it is nearing the point of release, IMO it benefits the Pats to make an offer to the Cards... Not a low ball offer. but definitely one that will make them consider the deal, considering the unstoppable train is rolling down the tracks towards the Draft... a 4th round pick, maybe a 5 or 6 with an escalator to a max 4th, depending on playing time or stat incentives...

This would be crazy if true and makes no sense. You mean nobody would be willing to pay even late round comp? Makes no sense.

The Cardinals still have about $21M in cap space this year. I'm guessing no teams are biting for any level of compensation at his current salary.

This will probably come down to one of two things:
A) Cardinals release Hopkins outright and gain $8M in cap space
B) Cardinals restructure Hopkins to eat more of his salary and make it cheaper for a new team to trade for him, probably removing Arizona's ability to gain any significant cap space, but they would be able to trade him and gain a draft pick.

So basically - do they want $8M and no draft pick, or $0 and maybe a 4th rounder?

If he’s released then he gets to choose his destination which is probably the opposite of what the Patriots want.
If he's free and no one is paying him it would make sense he'd then choose the Chiefs. But there is a possibility we could pay him more than the chiefs but still something cheaper than his current deal. Obviously the window there is small but still a chance.

If he's free and no one is paying him it would make sense he'd then choose the Chiefs. But there is a possibility we could pay him more than the chiefs but still something cheaper than his current deal. Obviously the window there is small but still a chance.

If he wants to ring chase he should go to the Eagles because who the **** else is gonna win the NFC?

This would be crazy if true and makes no sense. You mean nobody would be willing to pay even late round comp? Makes no sense.
Makes all the sense with his salary and age

If he’s released then he gets to choose his destination which is probably the opposite of what the Patriots want.
Exactly right, if& when he's released he'll likely try to go with a contender KC unfortunately.. I knew his salary teams would not want to take on.. he's made plenty of $$ he wants the ring..

Hopkins + Diggs = Super Bowl

The Buffalo offense would tear the NFL to shreds.
Just think we have no one to even challenge digs.. let alone D hop..

The Cardinals still have about $21M in cap space this year. I'm guessing no teams are biting for any level of compensation at his current salary.

This will probably come down to one of two things:
A) Cardinals release Hopkins outright and gain $8M in cap space
B) Cardinals restructure Hopkins to eat more of his salary and make it cheaper for a new team to trade for him, probably removing Arizona's ability to gain any significant cap space, but they would be able to trade him and gain a draft pick.

So basically - do they want $8M and no draft pick, or $0 and maybe a 4th rounder?
What about a compensatory pick if Hopkins is a FA.

He won't be cut. It's just a case of who'll blink first. It'll go until the draft and then someone, hopefully the Pats, will make an offer of a 6th or something and the Cards will accept.

and what exactly are the bills and chiefs going to pay him with? they have already done the cap dance to shake loose money for free agency... not a lot of meat on the bones left in either place...

iggles could swing it... they have cap space to work with...

think he'd like to be re-paired with the serial molester by the lake? the browns dont have a ton of room, but not sure if they have done the annual dance of restructuring...

None of this makes sense to me.

There doesn't seem enough cap savings to cut Hopkins. $8 million in savings? Can you replace Hopkins for $8 million?

Are they going to just tank the season?

If he wants to ring chase he should go to the Eagles because who the **** else is gonna win the NFC?
That assumes the Eagles want him. Any reports that they are interested?

Sweet, Kansas City here we come...

Too bad he wasn't around to help Kermit beat the greatest QB that ever existed in the history of the NFL Tom Brady when it mattered most or Kermit's record would be better than 0-2 against the GOAT in games that matter.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back