PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread: Patriots v. Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably wrong here but I thought the last pre-season game (Raiders) was when the starters did not play and it was mainly PS players or those that were being showcased prior to being cut. I may have this the wrong way around.

I think teams are still feeling out how best to schedule things with 3 games instead of 4. To me, with the extra week between the last preseason game and week 1, that game 3 is still like the old game 3: Mostly starters for the first half and first drive of the second. I think the old 4th game with all the bottom of the roster players has kind of been blended into the first preseason game, because it gives you one last look at players 85-90 before you have to make that first round of cuts.

Do we know when the Panthers 1st or 2nd string are playing ?.....would this be something the coaches agree on before the game ?
I don't remember where I saw it, but I think the Panthers will be resting starters.

You're assuming they play poorly already then?

Not at all.

The question was what can we take out of the game?

That was the only possibility available I could think of.

Do we know when the Panthers 1st or 2nd string are playing ?.....would this be something the coaches agree on before the game ?
Matt Rhule stated that Carolina will only be playing their 2nd and 3rd stringers for this game.

I'm curious about playing time for those who got tossed from practice. Or at least the Carolina guy who sent Wilkerson to the hospital. It'd be prudent to not have him take the field tonight.

Not at all.

The question was what can we take out of the game?

That was the only possibility available I could think of.

Gotcha, fair enough, I think I misread.

Matt Rhule stated that Carolina will only be playing their 2nd and 3rd stringers for this game.
I wonder if the fights had anything to do with this decision. Maybe he's scared of retaliation for Wilkerson resulting in one of his starters going down.

The Bourne "story," from a distance at least, is odd. So far it's been marked by a combination of (1) not much production/not many touches and (2) Nobody seemingly upset by it.

I can't read the tea leaves if that is what these 2 data points are... I could come up with a story consistent with them of course, and it would be satisfying AF. It's just unlikely to be true.

That said, the Bourne case is "off". Not being "seen"/looked for in camp + stocking up at your position + drafting your position... + joking around with Mac on the sidelines + no apparent stress = Idunno, and maybe the facts we get are cherrypicked, buttttt... it is weird.

I mean, anybody else seeing indications that BB et al. are stressed at Bourne or he is stressed at his performance?
Not sure what to make of the lack of looks but according to some reputable beat reporters he got kicked out of practice for not being "ready " - the day before the fight.

I'm seeing Bourne's role as a gadget player similar to C Patterson when he was here.

With the emergence of Thornton, Bourne may be 5th on the depth chart, unless there's a trade.
Not sure where he is on the depth chart now but we'll find out soon enough

FWIW, I didn’t take from Rhule’s statement to mean that only 2nd/3rd+ on-the-depth-chart players would play, but that they would see the majority of the snaps. So I got the impression that starters may see a drive or two, but I could be wrong.

RE: Bourne, here’s what Lazar has to say following joint practices:

Kendrick Bourne feels like more of a game player than a practice player, but his quiet camp is becoming more noticeable. It's not time to panic yet, as Bourne wasn't a camp standout a year ago either. But it's odd how uninvolved he is at times.

Not sure what to make of the lack of looks but according to some reputable beat reporters he got kicked out of practice for not being "ready " - the day before the fight.
A ref pulled him out of one drill. Somebody speculated an equipment issue. Belichick did chew him out pretty good for it.

Camp MVP, Most Improved, Most Disappointing.....good article by Curren:

Can't stand Curran or Bedard anymore. We have enough home-grown trolls here without also listening to them in the media.

Can't stand Curran or Bedard anymore. We have enough home-grown trolls here without also listening to them in the media.

Most of the Patriots media now are insufferable. They don't even want to talk football half the time. They are obsessed with who is calling plays and whether the new offensive system is going to be a disaster without talking Xs and Os. I could see a lot of this talk being valid if we were in late September or October and the Patriots' offense was a disaster. But they are already declaring the play calling and new system a disaster before the starters have even played a preseason down.

Also, they all bring out the debate of whether the game has passed Belichick by too. Another click bait/ratings generator non-football, football discussion just to attract the most moronic callers to call into talk radio.

Bedard I agree, he's gone full "cynical smugness" on us. Curran has moments like that, but he feels more schizophrenic to me. One day he'll over the top pessimist, then in the next breath he'll be super positive. It's kind of exhausting, but I don't get a malicious vibe from him. More just that his mouth has lost all filter and he voices every thought he has while trying to work out what his argument actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3