PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread: Patriots v. Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

catent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Figured I'd start the pre-game thread very early this morning.

Seems whether or not the starters will see any run has been kept close to the vest. I have a gut feeling they won't see the field, and that the team is planning to gradually ramp-up, with the Vegas game being the dress-rehearsal, to minimize the amount of downtime between the preseason dress rehearsal and the regular season opener. But that's purely my guess, not based on any information.

Regardless of whether the starters play, I'm looking forward to watching some Patriots football tonight.

Feel free to throw your "will the starters play" guess into the hat. I imagine the answer will come out by late-morning or early-afternoon.

Last edited:
TGIF so I can take a nap after work, wake up at midnight, lose my friday night to FINALLY watch Pre-season Football WOOOOO

LETS GOOO PATSSS

Did we even have a real dress rehearsal game last year?

One thing I’m interested in seeing, even if it’s only a couple of series, is Mac’s better chemistry with Agholor & Smith. If those guys can play like people know they can, add in Parker & Thornton, I’d be very excited. As it is, the Pats had the #6 scoring offense in the NFL last year. If those guys can get involved like they did prior to coming to NE, plus you’re adding Parker and Thornton, wow.

One thing I’m interested in seeing, even if it’s only a couple of series, is Mac’s better chemistry with Agholor & Smith. If those guys can play like people know they can, add in Parker & Thornton, I’d be very excited. As it is, the Pats had the #6 scoring offense in the NFL last year. If those guys can get involved like they did prior to coming to NE, plus you’re adding Parker and Thornton, wow.

Agholor we could see, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Smith tonight. He's the kind of player that's best when you scheme touches for him. It seems like they're trying to do that in practice, but since there's an element of trickery to it, I doubt they showcase those in the preseason. We won't know if he's improved until the regular season, IMO.

Camp MVP, Most Improved, Most Disappointing.....good article by Curren:

Good to hear that most of the starters are going to play. Looking forward to seeing:

-Our O-line
-D-line, specifically Ray, Roberts and Davis
-Tyquan
-Wade, Marcus Jones and Jack Jones
-Jennings

I'm concerned about Bourne. I'd like to see him get back in the swing of things.

I'm seeing Bourne's role as a gadget player similar to C Patterson when he was here.

With the emergence of Thornton, Bourne may be 5th on the depth chart, unless there's a trade.

I'm concerned about Bourne. I'd like to see him get back in the swing of things.
The Bourne "story," from a distance at least, is odd. So far it's been marked by a combination of (1) not much production/not many touches and (2) Nobody seemingly upset by it.

I can't read the tea leaves if that is what these 2 data points are... I could come up with a story consistent with them of course, and it would be satisfying AF. It's just unlikely to be true.

That said, the Bourne case is "off". Not being "seen"/looked for in camp + stocking up at your position + drafting your position... + joking around with Mac on the sidelines + no apparent stress = Idunno, and maybe the facts we get are cherrypicked, buttttt... it is weird.

I mean, anybody else seeing indications that BB et al. are stressed at Bourne or he is stressed at his performance?

(PS as I meant to conclude, the Bourne Redundancy is another huge plotline... if they keep him out entirely or almost, another plot thickens, to me. If they play him a fair amount, I'll at least feel liike they're making sure he's got his.)

Midnight KO for us over here so too late for me. I guess it is highlights again in the morning.

I hope you all get a good game to watch.

As above no injuries please ,and I would hope a lot of the starters get at least a quarter ?

If Pats 1st string plays against Panthers 2nd string, what can we take away from this game?

Do we know when the Panthers 1st or 2nd string are playing ?.....would this be something the coaches agree on before the game ?

I am probably wrong here but I thought the last pre-season game (Raiders) was when the starters did not play and it was mainly PS players or those that were being showcased prior to being cut. I may have this the wrong way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3