Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pre-Combine Workouts

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by NePatriots, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NePatriots

NePatriots PatsFans.com Draftnik PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A few notes on some pre - NFL Combine Workouts, with some interesting times from Ryan Matthews (4.35) and Brandon Ghee (4.30). Ricky Sapp has also bulked up some.
  2. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +200 / 2 / -0

No! My problem is that Mathews is that he isn't fast enough and Sapp isn't big enough. They can't change that! :eek:
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  3. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Ahh, the time of year for totally bogus 40 times.
  4. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Studying for the wonderlic test???

BWAHAHAHA
  5. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

There is an art to taking the Wonderlic.

You start off with questions that take up the least amount of room on the paper.. Then you go from there, skipping the ones you don't know..

Most people are ingrained with the idea that, on a test, you do each one, one at a time. From 1 through whatever.

That being said, it probably wasn't bright of Ricky to mention studying for that.
  6. NePatriots

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you have to study for the Wonderlic, that is a problem.

If Ghee runs a 4.30 I'll be shocked. If Matthews runs a 4.36-4.40, I won't be shocked at all.
  7. reamer

reamer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hm. JPP and Murphey clubbing instead of training for the combine is okay, but Sapp wants to be as prepared as possible, so he studies for the Wonderlic, and all we can do in response is make fun of him? Not very kind of us. We ought to commend him for his hard work. He's not overlooking any aspect of the Combine. How is this any different from interview coaching or strength training?

I've seen mock Wonderlics; they're essentially stripped-down IQ tests, which are easy to manipulate. I'm not terribly smart (cf. my "gm for a day thread" :D ) but I regularly score 150 + on standard IQ tests because I've learned how to play the system (and no, not the internet tests--real ones). Props to Sapp for taking the initiative to not only get his 40 time down, but also to sharpen his mind and take seriously the rigors of an NFL career.

Oh, and no way Ghee runs a 4.3. I'm guessing he's a 4.45 kind of guy, which, incidentally, is about where I'd put Matthews. That said, I have a suspicion that we'll see some blazing fast 40 times this year, with Ford and Holliday leading the way. Should be quite the show. :)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  8. NePatriots

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While I agree that Sapp studying is better than clubbing, I'd rather have the guys the Patriots will draft working on football-related skills, not combine-related skills.

Studying playbooks = great. Studying putting fractions in order = not important.
  9. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

FYI - Your signature banner is a bit too large.

Here's another blogger's Feb 14 take on some small school prospects he finally got to see in the All-Star games, I'll add the link here for anyone interested.

Pigskin Paul?s Place
  10. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

His banner shows up just fine on my 23" monitor (1920x1080). Maybe you need to take yours off of the Blind settings (640x480) :D
  11. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

None of the players are working on 'Football related drills', they are trying to improve numbers related to bench press, 40 yard dash, vertical leap and the wonderlic.

Higher numbers = Mo Money

When rookie camps start we will know if they "Look like Tarzan but play like Jane", for now it is all about how they look in shorts.
  12. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, we really don't know how much time he's spending on either, much less the proportion. "Studying" for tests like the Wonderlic is really mostly a matter of becoming accustomed to the form of the questions. Or, perhaps, re-accustomed, remembering the "techniques" for responding, since it's not a test format that one sees very frequently during college.

I mean, you can be very well-educated, have a lot of facts down cold and a profound understanding of process, meanings, implications, etc. and not be able to bring all that to bear effectively if you're rusty WRT responding in that format. To me, it's comparable to NY Times crossword puzzles. If you do them every day, you'll have a significantly faster time solving the Saturday puzzle than you would if you haven't even looked at a crossword puzzle in a couple of years.

OTOH, if you don't know (or remember) your fractions (e.g.) off the top of your head at this point, probably no amount of "studying" is going to help.

And it's for precisely this reason that I've always questioned the value of the Wonderlic in this context. The results seem relatively useless and might even be misleading to some extent. It would seem more appropriate and meaningful to require a "mini-SAT" on football knowledge plus some questions relating to social skills.

In any case, simply getting re-accustomed to the test format is the kind of thing where a "daily study session" might last as long as the time it takes you to eat breakfast or lunch. Or to work on a crossword puzzle. Then, the hours in between meals are free for working out, improving your footwork/mechanics (and other Combine-related skills) and studying playbooks.
  13. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I ain't got your young eyes you damned whippersnapper, I've got my browser zoomed to 150% so widescreen monitor or no his new banner has me doing left & right scrolling to read his posts. And stay out of my yard, ain't you kids got no respect! :enranged:
  14. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +102 / 25 / -17

No Jersey Selected

Is there anything that Sapp can do at the Combine (outside of the Wonderlic) & at his Pro Day that can change his standing in the eyes of those of us who do not see him as a great fit here?
  15. NePatriots

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Eat a box of nails? I need to see him on the field setting the edge for a full 60 minutes.... just can't do that at the Combine/Pro-Day.
  16. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +200 / 2 / -0

Although not as extreme, Sapp reminds me of Maybin in the sense that both seemed a little light for the position, but added lots of weight AFTER the season so they would look better in the pre-draft stuff. After how Maybin turned out, I'm not overly excited about Sapp.
  17. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Combine preview: What to watch for at Indy show - NFL - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
  18. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

19. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

20. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0