PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pound the ball and hardcore solid shutdown D: The Patriots Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easywolf32

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
This is what I want to see with Welker out, Brady's Broken finger, 5 RB's in the lineup, and a D that should be slapped in the face 10 times before kickoff.

This is how I remember the Pats winning. Of course if we can get some consistent Moss + Edelman catching it will be a bonus. And if we play Indy or New Orleans, play them like we did vs the Rams in '01.

Last edited:
This is what I want to see with Welker out, Brady's Broken finger, 5 RB's in the lineup, and a D that should be slapped in the face 10 times before kickoff.

This is how I remember the Pats winning. Of course if we can get some consistent Moss + Edelman catching it will be a bonus. And if we play Indy or New Orleans, play them like we did vs the Rams in '01.

I would love to see it. Throw deep to Moss a few times to loosen up the D, but concentrate on Taylor, Morris, and Maroney running, and a bunch of screens and draws. Tire out that geezer Ray Lewis.

Agree this is our best shot, but it's still not a very good shot. The difference in 2001, of course, was that we had a veteran D that could pressure the QB and come up with the big play.

Last edited:
I completely agree that the patriots should be pounding the ball. When the Patriots came out in the Houstan game after it was tied up and threw the ball 3 straight times, I was PISSED.

Seriously, why are they throwing the ball so much? runt he football and throw deep on playaction. This philosophy works wonders, I just don't understand why the Patriots have abandoned it.

Are you confusing the Patriots with the Jets?

Running the ball against the best team defensivly against it ( per carry avg) may not be the best idea. The best way for the Pats to attack is over the middle with Watson or another TE. We have a baby soft zone over the middle.

That 12 minute drive near the end of the Jacksonville game made me think that this is a possibility.

Two TE/1 RB and 1 TE/2 RB sets (using Morris or BJGE as fullback) would be sweet.

I'm not sure that with Moss & Edelman we can keep the D spread enough to run inside, but I'd like to see it tried.

If I close my eyes and click my heels together three times and repeat, "It really is '03. It really is '04," then maybe we can conjure a "Shutdown D" from the ghosts of the past. But, let's face it, it was Clayton and not our D that stopped Flacco on that final drive earlier this year.

Still, I think we're more than good enough to win on Sunday. We have plenty of pieces on Offense, including one of the greatest QB's ever, plus No Belichick team has lost a Playoff game in Foxboro

Running the ball against the best team defensivly against it ( per carry avg) may not be the best idea. The best way for the Pats to attack is over the middle with Watson or another TE. We have a baby soft zone over the middle.

I think it's even simpler than that.

Brady has to see if he can, as he put it, "evolve" in just one week back to the QB whose primary target every passing play was "Whoever the **** is open." He won three SB's that way. The configuration of one big time WR (Moss is a big upgrade in that regard, BTW!!!) and several solid but no dominating targets worked very well for him. Look at the final drive in SB XXXVI: three completions to a running back, one to a tight end and one to a WR, the names of which (Redmond, Wiggins and Brown) are mainly known only to Patriots fans--ok, Chargers fans will never forget Troy Brown :). In the famous Snow Bowl game (ok, "infamous" in Oakland), Brady completed 32 passes to six different receivers, none for more than 10 receptions and none for less than three.

Once he got Welker and Moss, he changed his approach, as would any sane QB who understood the weapons now at his disposal and it worked historically well in 2007.

Also, I think our running game will surprise you; Taylor's hungry and has September legs; Maroney has become a productive back with a chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove (including, unfortunately, that he can hold onto the ball in the redzone); Faulk is good for four or five important gains; Morris is solid and the Law Firm can deliver. I think you'll see a lot of wrinkles with one or more of them catching screens or short passes in the flat.

The big question mark, and rightly so, is the D, especially late in the game. Even though the circumstances last week were a little skewed, it once again proved that it can't hold a two TD lead in the fourth quarter, so you'll know you're never out of the game until the clock says so, unfortunately. :(

Last edited:
I believe the Pats will win, but not sure "pounding" the ball against that Raven defense will be easy. Also, I think the Pats' defense will be okay.... remember, there were alot of defensive starters out against the Texans.

Last edited:
I think it's even simpler than that.

Brady has to see if he can, as he put it, "evolve" in just one week back to the QB whose primary target every passing play was "Whoever the **** is open." He won three SB's that way. The configuration of one big time WR (Moss is a big upgrade in that regard, BTW!!!) and several solid but no dominating targets worked very well for him. Look at the final drive in SB XXXVI: three completions to a running back, one to a tight end and one to a WR, the names of which (Redmond, Wiggins and Brown) are mainly known only to Patriots fans--ok, Chargers fans will never forget Troy Brown :). In the famous Snow Bowl game (ok, "infamous" in Oakland), Brady completed 32 passes to six different receivers, none for more than 10 receptions and none for less than three.

Once he got Welker and Moss, he changed his approach, as would any sane QB who understood the weapons now at his disposal and it worked historically well in 2007.

Also, I think our running game will surprise you; Taylor's hungry and has September legs; Maroney has become a productive back with a chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove (including, unfortunately, that he can hold onto the ball in the redzone); Faulk is good for four or five important gains; Morris is solid and the Law Firm can deliver. I think you'll see a lot of wrinkles with one or more of them catching screens or short passes in the flat.

The big question mark, and rightly so, is the D, especially late in the game. Even though the circumstances last week were a little skewed, it once again proved that it can't hold a two TD lead in the fourth quarter, so you'll know you're never out of the game until the clock says so, unfortunately. :(

I'm not underestimating the power of a nice multi-facted rushing attack that NE has. My point was that, by the numbers PATS will have to play better then avg in the run (run O) game and the Ravens will have to play worse then the avg (run D)game for it to be the deciding factor in the game. I think its pretty easy to see the Ravens DB's are the weakes part of the team, that should be exploited. Nothing would be easlier then lighting up the middle of the field.

We cannot play like we did in '01. That is no longer allowed, thanks to Polian.

Colts and Saints are not overly dependent on the Air-Coryell like the Rams were.

With Welker injured, I'd like to see his spot taken by the extra running back as well. Go with 5, use Green-Ellis for his blocking ability which he has shown, and use Faulk and Maroney out wide if you need an extra WR.

if anything the pats were in 03/04 ,they were unpredictable. not exactly your huff and puff offense. BB always plays different per game. Against the colts/steelers he would spread them out and try to score points. Against jax and others he would pound the ball or go dink and dunk. Just when weexpect them to run the ball on sunday , you might see more 3WR packages than usual.Dont have an issue with it if Bill o brien and co can call the right plays and execute them. As the texan defenders said..brady looks for welker on 3rd downs. remains to be seen how we handle it. Hopefully they can remove the long ball on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1 situations and punch in the 1st down.

I think the biggest key to this game is Moss stepping up and becoming more of a "possession WR." You can still take some shots down the field with him, but he NEEDS to be used more in the short/intermediate passing game.

We used Moss in this type of role vs Atlanta when we were without Wes, and he had like 10 catches for 130 yards.

Get Moss some crossing routes and slants. Get him going over the middle of the field like he used to do in 07 (flashback to one handed catch over middle v.s. Colts :)). I'd even give him some screen passes. Moss' best asset is his great speed and ability to turn on the jets, so why not get the ball in his hands immediately on a screen and let him make a play with his legs.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few no huddles with Morris/Taylor and either Maroney or Faulk in the backfield setting up some pound it down your throats screens. Old fashioned football like when Belichick was but a pup. A fullback, half-back and a tail back. I bet Morris and Taylor - especially Taylor would be great blocking backs.

Last edited:
Are you confusing the Patriots with the Jets?
:agree:

It is amazing how the Jets have number 1 defense with below average DLine, average pass rushers, average LB, good secondary (one great CB). Do we the fans over-rate BB's defensive scheme and the need for great pass rush ?

:agree:

It is amazing how the Jets have number 1 defense with below average DLine, average pass rushers, average LB, good secondary (one great CB). Do we the fans over-rate BB's defensive scheme and the need for great pass rush ?

Thats the beauty of Rex Ryan, he can hide his defenses flaws and magnify their strengths. He still falls for the Prevent defense when trying to hold a prolific offense in the 4th quarter.

In what decade did the patriots win by pounding the ball? The last time that the patriots were primarily a running team, Tony Eason was quarterback and we were smoked in the Super Bowl by the best single season team ever. Is that what you remwember.

How about finding a happy medium between pass and run and the defense pressing coverage on receivers. Sometimes you have to live by the sword and be prepared to give up a big play, rather than give that soft under coverage we have for most of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST