PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pound the ball and hardcore solid shutdown D: The Patriots Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defense is not a shutdown D. They're capable of holding most teams to 17-20 points. They need help from the offense, and moreso in the 2nd halves.

:agree:

It is amazing how the Jets have number 1 defense with below average DLine, average pass rushers, average LB, good secondary (one great CB). Do we the fans over-rate BB's defensive scheme and the need for great pass rush ?

This is how I've been feeling for quite a while. I remember against Denver when Brian Baldinger said BB's defense was outdated and people just mocked him. I think he's spot on. All of the best defenses in the league are attacking defenses. We do not attack. Instead of bringing 5 or 6 guys on a blitz, we drop 7 or 8 guys in coverage on a consistent basis.

I've said in many other threads our two-gapping system isn't as effective as it used to be. It's great against the run, but against a good QB and a good passing team it's nothing great. It's a bend but don't break defense, and I HATE that type of defense. I hate read and react defense.

I hate Rex Ryan and the Jets as much as anyone, but I love his defensive system. He's all about coming after you, forcing the issue, and causing chaos. That's why his players love to play for him. Why would any big-time pass rushing OLB want to come here after what they say happen to Adalius Thomas? The guy was a pass rushing demon for Rex Ryan, and he comes here and he's not nearly the force he was for them.

Look at the attacking 3-4 defense Capers has employed in Green Bay. Boy, do I wish we had him still. All you have to do is look at the post on Extra Points today about where the Patriots ranked in stats amongst other teams.

Yards allowed per game we were 11th. The top 5 teams? Jets, Packers, Ravens, Bengals, Steelers. All of those teams are "attacking" defenses who come after. Even with how bad Pitt's D looked compared to last year, they were still top 5 in the league!

Look at points allowed per game. We were 5th with our bend-but-don't-break-hold them to FG-defense. Ahead of us? Jets, Cowboys, 49ers, Ravens. All of those teams attack a lot more than us.

That's why I love the 056 package. It gets a lot of heat and confuses the QB. IMO we need to do a lot more of stuff like that. I'd much rather see us be a 1 gapping defensive team. If you sit back all day you are going to get picked apart. Some guys will beat themselves like Sanchez did in Foxboro. But good QB's in the playoffs like Rivers and Manning will pick you apart. Over the years, Manning has struggled the most against the Raven's defense because of the system they play.

Yes personnel can be upgraded, but our defensive scheme/system also needs to be evaluated as well.

Maybe a two-gap 3-4 is a value defensive system, because it obviates the need for a potentially expensive superstar (shutdown?) corner like Darrelle Revis or Charles Woodson?

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with this line of thinking is that the Pats have not been a "shutdown" D at any point of the season. However, if we pound the ball and convert third downs to dominate the T.O.P. in our playoff games, it will greatly help the defense (so long as those drives end in more touchdowns than field goals). We should rely on our running game even more and let the passing game do it's thing on short-down situations just to control the clock. If we're good at this, it will open up the field for deeper or play action passes. The bottom line is, if we can execute a clock-killing offense, we should be able to beat any team out there.

A thing a lot of fans have been ignoring is that the defense has extra strain in the second half, because our offense is so biblically predictable that we go out there 3&out pretty consistently.

The Texans had 3 drives in like a 9 minute period. Where were our drives in between there? If we have the lead, we need to protect it by keeping the ball with our offense. It's one of the fundamentals of football.

In what decade did the patriots win by pounding the ball? The last time that the patriots were primarily a running team, Tony Eason was quarterback and we were smoked in the Super Bowl by the best single season team ever. Is that what you remwember.

I think you could make the case the 2004 team was a very versatile offense that some won games by pounding the ball. Other than that, the idea the Pats were ever a really running team is a misconception. People especially forget the 2003 Pats were a terrible running team.

2009 - 120 yds/game, 12th in NFL
2008 - 142, 6th
2007 - 115, 13th
2006 - 123, 12th
2005 - 95, 24th
2004 - 133, 7th
2003 - 100, 27th
2002 - 94, 28th
2001 - 112, 13th

Last edited:
No doubt our rushing attack has improved since the beginning of the season, but running against the Ravens is more than difficult. Ngata was not healthy in the previous game against Baltimore, and even then we only managed 3.4 yards per carry. I don't expect us to "pound" the ball with any success against the Ravens. I hope I'm wrong.

Happy if I see continued commitment to the run, but what I think has been missing, and it seems several others think too, is unpredictability in the offensive playcalling. Now that we've just had the most consistent (and predictable) element of the offense taken away from us, this offers an opportunity in my opinion to be creative and get back to what REALLY used to work for us, a varied offense that involved all of the players on the field, not just Randy and Wes.

When the Pats have to deal with adversity and have low expectations and an underdog mentality, this is when they've historically done best in the post-season. I am looking forward to an exciting playoff and believe it is indeed possible for them to get to the big game and win.

No doubt our rushing attack has improved since the beginning of the season, but running against the Ravens is more than difficult. Ngata was not healthy in the previous game against Baltimore, and even then we only managed 3.4 yards per carry. I don't expect us to "pound" the ball with any success against the Ravens. I hope I'm wrong.

30 rushes 85 yards - 2.7 YPC.

Without Ngata.

Please "pound it".

Ngata is dinged up once again....

Ngata is dinged up once again....

He came out for 1 play and was right back in for the rest of the game. Non issue.

Would you recommend the Pats try to run it to beat us?

He came out for 1 play and was right back in for the rest of the game. Non issue.

Would you recommend the Pats try to run it to beat us?

I think they will need to TRY and run the ball, not sure how effective it will be.. The Pats do a nice job of misdirection plays and the delay hand offs seems to give the Ravens problems. Ngata did have an ankle brace on at the end of the game. I'm sure he will be just fine though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference