PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential WR trade candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is always possible to sign a player to a second contract, as long as the current year's salary doesn't increase. BTW, Cruz might be had for less than a first. Of course that would take negotiation with the team and with Cruz.

I think if we sent a 1st to the Giants it would be for Nicks but that's just my opinion.

I love the thread idea, and all of your candidates would be fine additions.

The concerns I'd have with Victor Cruz:

1.--he and the NYG are currently having problems regarding his new contract. It's hard to try and assess what they've offered him, but I'm going to take a stab at around 10 million dollars. The WR market continually goes up every year much like the QB market, at least for the elite receivers. Last year we saw guys like VJax setting the standard at about 11 million aav, this year that went up to 12 million aav with Wallace/Harvin. Next year Cruz has the potential to at least bring in what Wallace/Harvin did at 12 million aav.

That means we'd have to set a price that would outweigh what the NYG are willing to match, while at the same time being careful not to underbid at set the terms of their contract for them. In other words, the NYG may very well end up losing Cruz next year if they don't want to pay him 12 million dollars a year, and all accts point to them losing him. If we bid in at 10-11 million and they match it, we'll have just given them a discount and allowed them to retain Cruz for another 5 yrs.

2.--I have a hard time seeing Belichick part with a 1st rounder since they are known for such awesome value. We have a great track record in acquiring 1st rd picks, and have the potential to lock up a very, very cheap and productive player for the next 5 yrs. Obviously the good teams are built through the draft, and giving up a 1st is risky in itself. Cruz would obviously be worth it--but at a very high compensation. That tends to almost offset the move in a way.

3.--I also have a hard time seeing Belichick give someone 11+ million dollars a year at this position. Considering that we'd have to do that AND give up a 1st round pick, we may seriously as well look into bringing in anyone of the top talents in the NFL including Revis, Fitzgerald, etc. They may take an additional pick next year in the draft, but you may get someone to agree to a 3rd round pick or so in 2014. It would likely be worth exploring that option IF you're going to give up a first and pay them 11+ million.

To sum it up, I love the idea of exploring other trade options for the WR position. Most of them aren't going to be cheap, so we need to think about the value too. Although Sanders isn't our ideal choice in this situation, putting him in the mix with Brady for a few seasons by giving up a 3rd round pick and approx. 6 million a year may not be such a bad idea when you consider everything else.

I would also like to still choose a high draft pick this year since most of them take a year or so to get acclimated to the system. This would assure us a mix of youth, speed, depth, and experience to our WR corps--all while providing good financial value. It would address the need for a revamped WR corps while allowing us to stretch the field more and get younger at the same time.

If someone else comes up for a potential trade like any one of your options, then I would hope that Belichick gives them all long thoughts.

How about http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15705/josh-gordon straight up for Mallett.

Steve Smith (Carolina), Kenny Britt

Kenny Britt has beast mode potential but hes also injured or having other issues. Hes a big, physical and fast WR that can work the outside well. Steve Smith is getting too old at this point to pay him big money, plus im sure he'll want to finish his career in Carolina at this point and continue to help mentor Cam Newton.

They're not trading for a WR

I really doubt Gordon would be part of a Mallett trade. I don't see why they'd want Mallett except to throw to Gordon. A big arm and a deep threat make a lot more sense together rather than being traded for each other.

Greg Little scares me. If people were tired of Welker's drops, then Little is going to make people even more angry.

If the Pats make a trade any time soon, it is likely to be this week at the owners' meetings. That said, I expect that if they make a trade that I think it may be a d-line. Looked like from the reports d-line was the place they really wanted to make a splash in free agency, but the Bengals franchised their #1 target (Michael Johnson) and the Browns out bid them for their #2 target (Desmond Bryant).

Granted they may go after Dummervil instead.

In recent times it seems like its been about just having a body out there to fill the position. I could see a situation where we look at some speedsters that are FAs. Could bring them in on one year prove yourself deals.

Couple of names..

Darrius Heyward-Bey
Titus Young

I'm not saying that they would set the world on fire or anything, but in terms of attracting DBs, its the speed that is their weapon.

I love the thread idea, and all of your candidates would be fine additions.

The concerns I'd have with Victor Cruz:

1.--he and the NYG are currently having problems regarding his new contract. It's hard to try and assess what they've offered him, but I'm going to take a stab at around 10 million dollars. The WR market continually goes up every year much like the QB market, at least for the elite receivers. Last year we saw guys like VJax setting the standard at about 11 million aav, this year that went up to 12 million aav with Wallace/Harvin. Next year Cruz has the potential to at least bring in what Wallace/Harvin did at 12 million aav.

That means we'd have to set a price that would outweigh what the NYG are willing to match, while at the same time being careful not to underbid at set the terms of their contract for them. In other words, the NYG may very well end up losing Cruz next year if they don't want to pay him 12 million dollars a year, and all accts point to them losing him. If we bid in at 10-11 million and they match it, we'll have just given them a discount and allowed them to retain Cruz for another 5 yrs.

2.--I have a hard time seeing Belichick part with a 1st rounder since they are known for such awesome value. We have a great track record in acquiring 1st rd picks, and have the potential to lock up a very, very cheap and productive player for the next 5 yrs. Obviously the good teams are built through the draft, and giving up a 1st is risky in itself. Cruz would obviously be worth it--but at a very high compensation. That tends to almost offset the move in a way.

3.--I also have a hard time seeing Belichick give someone 11+ million dollars a year at this position. Considering that we'd have to do that AND give up a 1st round pick, we may seriously as well look into bringing in anyone of the top talents in the NFL including Revis, Fitzgerald, etc. They may take an additional pick next year in the draft, but you may get someone to agree to a 3rd round pick or so in 2014. It would likely be worth exploring that option IF you're going to give up a first and pay them 11+ million.

To sum it up, I love the idea of exploring other trade options for the WR position. Most of them aren't going to be cheap, so we need to think about the value too. Although Sanders isn't our ideal choice in this situation, putting him in the mix with Brady for a few seasons by giving up a 3rd round pick and approx. 6 million a year may not be such a bad idea when you consider everything else.

I would also like to still choose a high draft pick this year since most of them take a year or so to get acclimated to the system. This would assure us a mix of youth, speed, depth, and experience to our WR corps--all while providing good financial value. It would address the need for a revamped WR corps while allowing us to stretch the field more and get younger at the same time.

If someone else comes up for a potential trade like any one of your options, then I would hope that Belichick gives them all long thoughts.

With the Giants tight against the cap this year (2.5m) could they in any way sign Cruz this off season by matching without somekind of restructure somewhere.

I say do the offer sheet and make them have to work it out, because they will have to pay for it down the line somewhere somehow. Right now, they are praying on there knees they get to pay Cruz 2.7m this coming season. That's more a bargin than your suggested 1m a year for the next 5.

Greg Little would improve massively if he had Brandon Edwards hands...

In recent times it seems like its been about just having a body out there to fill the position. I could see a situation where we look at some speedsters that are FAs. Could bring them in on one year prove yourself deals.

Couple of names..

Darrius Heyward-Bey
Titus Young

I'm not saying that they would set the world on fire or anything, but in terms of attracting DBs, its the speed that is their weapon.

I was on board for considering Titus Young before the Rams took a chance on him, but after he failed there too, I think all 32 teams are going to be very leery. On top of that we now have 2 good examples of how his attitude and work ethic rub coaches the wrong way, and Fisher is a tolerant guy in those situations. I think we can cross him off the list immediately.

I wouldn't mind DHB. If we're going to add his name then we may throw in a Devrey Henderson or a Dominic Hixon too.

I think that your idea of a partial decoy/speedster will be filled via the draft this year. Someone who can potentially catch 25-30 balls and make a nice play from time to time in his rookie season, but doesn't contribute all that much, think Brandon Tate while he was here.

Per rotoworld the colts are negotiating a trade for a WR.

It's either doug baldwin, or....Jeremy Maclin.

Maclin would look, so good in a Pats uniform.

He's supposedly available due to their recent acquisition of Benn.

He is also in a contract year.

He'll be ballin this year.

I was thinking about Gordon for Mallett too
The whole point of Cleveland trading for Mallett is that he will be throwing to a player like Gordon. It makes no sense for Cleveland to make that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes