PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Day 1 Starters at LG?

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First, to state the obvious: as the roster stands right now, the Patriots have no left guard at all. Given that, I thought it might be worthwhile to ask which prospects are likeliest to be able to step in and d0 the job from game 1.

Putting aside other draft valuation factors -- positional flexibility, "upside," etc. -- I went looking for experience, technique and LG-specific athletic traits. Here's my starter list in order of CBSSports rankings, curious for your thoughts:

Blue Chippers (presumed gone before #64)
Brandon Scherff, Iowa
La'el Collins, LSU
Cameron Erving, Florida State
Jake Fisher, Oregon
A.J. Cann, South Carolina

Dark Horses
B.J. Finney, Kansas State
Mitch Morse, Missouri

I would take Cameron Erving at #32 in a heartbeat. He can play any position on the OL and would be an immediate starter and big upgrade at guard. It's possible that Belichick has an answer at RG that is already on the roster so filling LG could mean they are set for 2015 on the OL, and could focus on other areas through the rest of the draft.

I note you didn't include Clemmings. Is that because you don't think he can play LG or that you don't think he can start day one?

I note you didn't include Clemmings. Is that because you don't think he can play LG or that you don't think he can start day one?

I would be OK with Clemmings and I think he has a really good ceiling but I see him as more of a project, whereas I think Erving would be ready immediately. I'm really impressed that Erving was able to make what appeared to be an almost seamless transition to center at a program of that caliber. I can only imagine how he could develop with the Patriots coaching him up. I also like the idea of the two FSU OL lined up inside together. As I have said before what matters most to me is getting a player who will be great for a long time in the first round and I'm fine with them addressing a number of different positions as long as the player turns into a really good pro. I trust the Patriots evaluations and believe they will either get a guy they really want or trade out if they don't like what is left, their track record in the first is really good in my opinion. Erving, Byron Jones, Kevin Johnson, Idighizuwa, and Clemmings would all be fine with me, and Jordan Phillips has become more interesting to me while Goldman is sliding for me.

Honestly the more I look at the first round the more likely I think there's a run on CB which pushes some really good OL talent down to the Patriots and that's the pick they make. I would have have thought Erving, Clemmings or Collins fell that far but now I wonder if at least two of them do.

If it goes the other way and there's a run on OL then probably one of the CB's we like falls and that's just as good. If that happens I'd be on board with trading up for Fisher or Cann in the middle of the second.

Love him as an overall prospect, but given that his OL experience consists of one year at RT -- yeah, definitely fails my readiness test at LG.

I'm with Ivan. Erving is the one prospect that could prevent them going CB at 32. I do think he'd be a day one starter and an excellent one at that.

After the first round, I have no idea what they're looking at although I do think your dark horses are decent possibilities, particularly Finney. I do like John Miller and wonder whether Tre Jackson might end up being the pick.

But. I would be absolutely fine with Erving, have really warmed to him of late.

I know it sounds silly since he is DIII, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marpet is a beast his rookie year. It's not out of the question that he would shine at TC and start game 1.

I think Donovan Smith PSU , Jamil Douglas ASU and John Miller - Louisville are all capable of being day one starters. They played T in college. But, so did Mankins.

I know it sounds silly since he is DIII, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marpet is a beast his rookie year. It's not out of the question that he would shine at TC and start game 1.

Not out of the question at all, I agree. But as with Clemmings, there's no way he can pass a "readiness" screen.

I definitely understand Ivan's focus on Erving -- a "ready" LG who also has the athletic upside and positional flexibility to make him an all-around valuable prospect. Fisher is the one other realistic possibility you could say that about.

I think Donovan Smith PSU , Jamil Douglas ASU and John Miller - Louisville are all capable of being day one starters. They played T in college. But, so did Mankins.

I don't think playing tackle's a problem, only one on Patchicks list is an OG. Mark Glowinski is interesting. Showed reasonable athleticism at the combine and is supposed to be both tough and intelligent. Switched to RG from RT last year but has the borderline athleticism to be a LG. But, with regards to Patchick's thread, hard to say he's a day one starter.

Considering the lack of options outside of day one, I do wonder whether there's a draft day trade on the back burner for Evan Mathis. BB has made no attempt so far to fill this obvious vacancy but he must have some sort of plan. Is he that confident about finding a starter in the draft?

Smith has only played tackle, but Douglas as guard experience and AFAIK Miller has only played guard. But as manxman noted, most of the players in my screen are college tackles and centers.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the three players. For Smith, I had questions about a quick transition to LG since field awareness and hand use aren't his strengths. Miller just doesn't seem mobile enough. Douglas I should look more closely at!

Considering the lack of options outside of day one, I do wonder whether there's a draft day trade on the back burner for Evan Mathis. BB has made no attempt so far to fill this obvious vacancy but he must have some sort of plan. Is he that confident about finding a starter in the draft?

It's very interesting indeed. It's rare for the Pats to enter the draft with a gaping hole in the lineup -- and the last time it happened at LG, they did devote pick #32 to the task!

Part of the point of this exercise was to convince myself that it wouldn't take a first-round pick this time, but I wasn't terribly successful on that score.

It's very interesting indeed. It's rare for the Pats to enter the draft with a gaping hole in the lineup -- and the last time it happened at LG, they did devote pick #32 to the task!

Part of the point of this exercise was to convince myself that it wouldn't take a first-round pick this time, but I wasn't terribly successful on that score.

I'm now talking myself out of Byron Jones and into Cam Erving. Damn it!

Wat u guys think bout signing Stefan Wisniewski? He was center for Raiders and i read that he has experience with guard position. Dont know if RG or LG.

Wat u guys think bout signing Stefan Wisniewski? He was center for Raiders and i read that he has experience with guard position. Dont know if RG or LG.

Signing Wisniewski would make me happier than how Bill's signings of those CBs (& Cannon) made me sad.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back