PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Potential Day 1 Starters at LG?

I love watching Shaq Mason. Height is not an issue as this can translate into natural leverage. Numbers also don't tell the whole story because mentality is not measured but this guy looks like he just wants to put people on their backside. I remember Dominic Easley in an interview talking about how hewanted the opposition's will to buckle and I see that same mentality with Shaq Mason.
The arms are the only real issue for me and so it remains to be seen how it plays in the NFL. But if he has quick feet then that could compensate some.

Big fan of mason he's very MOBILE. Exactly what you need in an og. I had him in my mock a while back before any mentions here so I'm not just pile jumping.

I think the fsu guards are bad fits. Too slow especially matias who is snail like slow and had some amazingly bad combine times and jumps.

Jake FISHER would be an interesting pick. He could play og then lt eventually if need be.

Tre Jackson coming to Foxboro for a visit...

Ugh, ugh, ugh. I really don't like the writing on the wall OL-wise.
What writing? Would you rather they had Erving in house and showed the other 31 teams there hand?

Ugh, ugh, ugh. I really don't like the writing on the wall OL-wise.

Tre jackson is a round 2 or 3 pick. They won't use their 1st on him.

What writing? Would you rather they had Erving in house and showed the other 31 teams there hand?

:)
I'd love to picture the draft lead-up as a football version Operation Fortitude -- all elaborate misdirection. But alas, patterns in Pats pre-draft interest are generally pretty reliable...and they've shown an awful lot of interest in massive, lead-footed guards.

Tre jackson is a round 2 or 3 pick. They won't use their 1st on him.

I don't want him in the 2nd, either. I just don't want him, period.

Jackson is a project IMO. Both his footwork and his hand skills are lacking. As a comparison Marcus Cannon is bigger, quicker, has longer arms (inch and 3/8th) and had better arm and foot skills coming out. Cannon has position flexibility. Jackson is a guard and that's it.

Maybe they think it's technique but I'm not loving this one.

Tre Jackson coming to Foxboro for a visit...

On some sites he is also listed as a DT prospect, if he can play CB all of our problems are solved.

As far as Jackson I am sure that he is not a perfect fit for all of the PatsFans scouts but he can come in and start and upgrade the RG position that is a good thing. 42 career starts on a national championship team is pretty impressive.

:)
I'd love to picture the draft lead-up as a football version Operation Fortitude -- all elaborate misdirection. But alas, patterns in Pats pre-draft interest are generally pretty reliable...and they've shown an awful lot of interest in massive, lead-footed guards.

I don't want him in the 2nd, either. I just don't want him, period.

If his footwork is as bad as many are suggesting then I don't see them drafting him. The Patriots are continuing to use Dante Scarneccia as a consultant for evaluating OL prospects and that has always been a point of emphasis for him so I doubt too many OL prospects with bad footwork make it past him. Additionally they usually take college tackles and convert them because they are better athletes and prospects overall. They will occasionally take a college guard from programs where a really good athlete may be found at guard but overall they go for the conversion projects. I think it's much more likely they take one of the tackles than Tomlinson or Jackson. The exception would be Erving because he has played both tackle and center and played well at both, guard would be new to him but he obviously has the tools to play it.

If his footwork is as bad as many are suggesting then I don't see them drafting him. The Patriots are continuing to use Dante Scarneccia as a consultant for evaluating OL prospects and that has always been a point of emphasis for him so I doubt too many OL prospects with bad footwork make it past him. Additionally they usually take college tackles and convert them because they are better athletes and prospects overall. They will occasionally take a college guard from programs where a really good athlete may be found at guard but overall they go for the conversion projects. I think it's much more likely they take one of the tackles than Tomlinson or Jackson. The exception would be Erving because he has played both tackle and center and played well at both, guard would be new to him but he obviously has the tools to play it.

Ironically enough, and i cant remember where I read this but i heard Scarneccia spent a lot of time with Florida States RT Bobby Hart at his pro day. Many people are projecting him to move to Guard at the pros.

Jackson is a project IMO. Both his footwork and his hand skills are lacking. As a comparison Marcus Cannon is bigger, quicker, has longer arms (inch and 3/8th) and had better arm and foot skills coming out. Cannon has position flexibility. Jackson is a guard and that's it.

Maybe they think it's technique but I'm not loving this one.
Jackson reminds me a lot of a former Patriots OG named Jon Halapio……..:mad:

I'm not done looking over clips and games etc, but so far I am sold on 3 olinemen: Reese Dismukes, Erec Flowers, and Josue Matias. Erec Flowers will probably be out of reach but the other two have a good chance of being around later in the draft.

I might also consider Kyoundjo as a potential guard for us as well. He has issues but I am intrigued by him.

Are you that naïve?

http://patriotsobserver.com/2015/03/30/tracking-the-patriots-rolodex-of-pre-draft-contacts/

Pre-draft contacts have their historical merit.

Last year, the Patriots had official visits with quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and defensive tackle Dominique Easley, as well as private workouts with quarterback Garrett Gilbert, running back Stephen Houston, wideout Jeremy Gallon, defensive end Zach Moore and defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles, according to NEPatriotsDraft.com.

Four of whom went on to be drafted by New England, while three others went on to spend time there in the months following.

But oftentimes, the true merit of the pre-draft rolodex lies in the positions of interest more so than the prospects. And that is something to keep in mind as the 2015 scouting tour reaches its highest pitch.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back