• Yes

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • No

Votes: 57 87.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard or read somewhere that they are now thinking of a 17 game season and they believe they can get the NFLPA to agree to it.

Reduction to 2 preseason games.
17 game regular season
A 2nd bye week added per team.
8 home games & 8 away games & 1 game at a neutral site... London, Mexico, Canada, for example.
With the extra regular season game & the 2nd bye week, the regular season goes from 17 weeks to 19.

The Super Bowl will then be played the Sunday before the Presidents' Day holiday, so most people will not have to work the next day.

I think this is an excellent idea.

I found it.......

NFLPA president on 17-game season: “I never say never”

I like it for no other reason than trading one extra game for an additional bye week would help injury-wise.

The season in its current format for 16 games with Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday possibilities that reduce rest is bad enough. 2 more games just compounds the problems.

The teams should get some more roster space, but that means more paid players and a profit hit for the owners. The larger rosters would likely make for better levels of play as these guys would not be showing up on game week and figuring out responsibilities (meaning the add-on players with NFL ability levels are on the active roster throughout the season and are more experienced - I am not suggesting 120 man rosters as you will hit a point where the players simply lack the ability to play on the field).

I do like the 17 game proposal, if more games are desired, but expect a reduction in preseason games is not a huge factor. At this point, they are throwaways with more time spent on possible players than actual players in an effort to avoid injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes