PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post OTAs roster projections

Status
Not open for further replies.
The contract is meaningless unless it is in the same year.

Did you just make that up? Wasnt JE looking at a "nobody wants me" scenario when DA was locking up $28.5 million,

But you are right BB is an idiot and JE is clearly the better player.

One problem with setting up depth charts now is that we don't know how the Patriots will look in their "base" offense. With the TE position so weak, we can probably expect a lot of 1 TE looks, but will that be

WR/WR/TE/HB/FG
or
WR/WR/WR/TE/HB

for example.

Additionally, in a 3 WR set, Will LaFell have earned a starting role, is it going to be Dobson and Edelman on the outside, or will BB decide that adjusting by opponent is the way to go? People need to remember that Edelman took a majority of his snaps on the outside last season, according to at least one reporter's snap breakdown, and Amendola is going to be in the slot.

Is that an answer?

Lets put up a poll on this site. 2 choices. Lets let this site decide since they are pretty knowledgable about such things.

Ok? Wanna place a little bet?

So are you are confusing opportunity with being the better player?
If Amendola were on a team that had Wes Welker on it, he would not have had an opportunity either. The reality is that 2013 was Edelman’s first season with a legit opportunity to play consistently and he was outstanding, Amendola has been his teams #1 or #2 target every year since 2010 and never went over 689 yards.

Edelman had numerous opportunities to crack that line-up and only did so out of pure need last season. As pointed out before, his numbers are inflated due to every factor I listed in my last post to you. Again, I'm not going to bash Edelman. He's a solid WR3. But here are the two careers, both starting in 2009...

1. Amendola: 250 rec., 2,359 yards, 9.4 AVG, 9 TD's
2. Edelman: 174 rec., 1,770 yards, 10.2 AVG, 10 TD's

Those numbers are in spite of the fact that Edelman has been playing with the guy that could possibly retire as the GOAT and Amendola was playing with crap. Further, it's also taking into account that Edelman amassed 423 more yards than Amendola last season on top of hauling in 51 more balls. But, then again, this conversation isn't really conducive to being a productive one. You've already stated that you dislike Amendola as a player and rag on him every chance you get, so I highly doubt there's much in the way of facts that I can throw at you to make you change your mind or think critically on the topic. No offense intended.

Did you just make that up? Wasnt JE looking at a "nobody wants me" scenario when DA was locking up $28.5 million,

But you are right BB is an idiot and JE is clearly the better player.
Belichick is using Edelman and Thompkins as his #1 and #2 WR in OTAs and minicamp; he started Edelman last season over Amendola in every game down the stretch. He clearly does not think Amendola is the better player. You do not understand, the market determines the players value, in 2012 Amendola was worth what he got paid because he was a good player in a bad market, in 2013 Edelman was a good player in a good market so he did not make as much. If you put Edelman on the market after a season like last season in 2012 he would have made at least what Amendola made, and if you put Amendola on the market in 2013 he would have been very lucky to even get what Edelman got.

Belichick is using Edelman and Thompkins as his #1 and #2 WR in OTAs and minicamp; he started Edelman last season over Amendola in every game down the stretch. He clearly does not think Amendola is the better player. You do not understand, the market determines the players value, in 2012 Amendola was worth what he got paid because he was a good player in a bad market, in 2013 Edelman was a good player in a good market so he did not make as much. If you put Edelman on the market after a season like last season in 2012 he would have made at least what Amendola made, and if you put Amendola on the market in 2013 he would have been very lucky to even get what Edelman got.

Are you F'ing serious with this? Wow! He started a healthy receiver over an injured one. Big move there.

Seriously take the poll challenge if you are so sure. Why wont you?

Edelman had numerous opportunities to crack that line-up and only did so out of pure need last season. As pointed out before, his numbers are inflated due to every factor I listed in my last post to you. Again, I'm not going to bash Edelman. He's a solid WR3. But here are the two careers, both starting in 2009...

1. Amendola: 250 rec., 2,359 yards, 9.4 AVG, 9 TD's
2. Edelman: 174 rec., 1,770 yards, 10.2 AVG, 10 TD's

Those numbers are in spite of the fact that Edelman has been playing with the guy that could possibly retire as the GOAT and Amendola was playing with crap. Further, it's also taking into account that Edelman amassed 423 more yards than Amendola last season on top of hauling in 51 more balls. But, then again, this conversation isn't really conducive to being a productive one. You've already stated that you dislike Amendola as a player and rag on him every chance you get, so I highly doubt there's much in the way of facts that I can throw at you to make you change your mind or think critically on the topic. No offense intended.
These are their career stats in the NFL –

Amendola – 376 targets resulting in 250 catches for a 66.48% catch ratio, 2359 yards, 9.4 yards per catch average, 9 touchdowns

Edelman – 259 targets resulting in 174 catches for a 67.18% catch ratio, 1770 yards, 10.2 yards per catch average, 10 touchdowns

Edelman catches a higher percent of his targets for more yards per receptions, and gets in the end zone more often. Coming into last season Edelman had been targeted 108 times in his 4-year career, Amendola was targeted 101 times in 2012 alone. If you look at their workout numbers, Edelman is the bigger, stronger, faster, explosive, and agile player in every metric. I admit I do not like Amendola that much but him being a better player than Edelman when because of what posters think he “could” in his 7th season is silly.

Edelman had plenty of opportunity to crack the lineup? He played the same position as the best slot receiver to ever play in the NFL. He was on teams that had Randy Moss, Deion Branch, Chad Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez and the Patriots invested 2 early draft picks in Price in Tate so they received an opportunity as well.

Edelman played in place of Welker after his 2009 knee injury, he had 16 receptions, on 23 targets, for 147 yards, and 2 touchdowns in those 2 games. In 2010 and 2011 he saw a total of 18 targets combined, and in 2012 he was productive as the #3 WR in his opportunities when he was healthy.

Are you F'ing serious with this? Wow! He started a healthy receiver over an injured one. Big move there.

Seriously take the poll challenge if you are so sure. Why wont you?
What is the poll? Who is a better player Edelman or Amendola?

Here is a poll on it already, Edelman had 81.6% and Amendola had 18.4%
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/hypothetical-–-if-you-could-only-keep-one-who-would-it-be-amendola-or-edelman.1076268/

Here is a poll, Edelman trumps Amendola 67% to 7%
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...-wes-welker-danny-amendola-or-julian-edelman/

If you want to open another one, feel free. I am more than confident that people would favor Edelman over Amendola.

Wait, that is a different question which values completely different metrics. Anyway, think whatever you want.

Wait, that is a different question which values completely different metrics. Anyway, think whatever you want.
You can open a poll have at it. Edelman is a better player in my opinion; I think he suffered from a lack of opportunity when Welker was here. I am not saying Amendola sucks, I am not a fan of him, but he does not suck, but he is not as good as Edelman is.

Edelman was not even a WR in college and he got drafted based on his level of talent. He is the superior talent and over the last year, he developed into the superior player when given reps.

These are their career stats in the NFL –

Amendola – 376 targets resulting in 250 catches for a 66.48% catch ratio, 2359 yards, 9.4 yards per catch average, 9 touchdowns

Edelman – 259 targets resulting in 174 catches for a 67.18% catch ratio, 1770 yards, 10.2 yards per catch average, 10 touchdowns

Edelman catches a higher percent of his targets for more yards per receptions,

Edelman has also been playing with the GOAT, which means that a higher percentage of his passes have hit him between the numbers while Amendola's have mostly just been in his vicinity.

and gets in the end zone more often.

You must know this is weaksauce. To the tune of 1 more TD.

Coming into last season Edelman had been targeted 108 times in his 4-year career, Amendola was targeted 101 times in 2012 alone. If you look at their workout numbers, Edelman is the bigger, stronger, faster, explosive, and agile player in every metric.

Your over-reliance on how players perform or have performed during the underwear olympics, in this case one that took place a half decade ago, is a logical flaw. From what I've picked up on, you lean on it when you appear to have trouble convincing yourself of the point you're attempting to make.

I admit I do not like Amendola

This is the gist of the issue, and why a conversation on the topic is not a productive one.

that much but him being a better player than Edelman when because of what posters think he “could” in his 7th season is silly.

It's not that he could be a better player. It's that he is, when both are healthy. Again, this has been proven over their careers. You're tossing out the "opportunity" argument in Edelman's favor yet, if Edelman was the super star you're making him out to be, he should have had no problem getting reps even with Welker was here. It's not as if the Pats have had '07 caliber receivers every year since 2009. Further, if he was the super star you're making him out to be, why did he generate zero interest on the open market prior to 2013 and very little interest on it afterward?

Edelman had plenty of opportunity to crack the lineup? He played the same position as the best slot receiver to ever play in the NFL.

And yet many have, correctly, made the argument numerous times that Edelman is not a slot receiver. So why would that be a roadblock for him?

He was on teams that had Randy Moss,

I can accept this for 2009. Moss was not Moss in 2010 and was gone after the Dolphins game, so Edelman still had opportunity there.

Deion Branch,

Shadow of his former self and barely able to get separation after 2010. You're doing more damage to your argument than good pointing him out.

Chad Johnson,

LOL.

Brandon Lloyd,

Lloyd was a flanker. Edelman still had the opportunity to beat out Branch for reps.

Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez

Edelman doesn't play tight end.

and the Patriots invested 2 early draft picks in Price

This is almost as harmful to your argument as tossing out Chad Johnson was.

in Tate so they received an opportunity as well.

I can accept this, though Tate was nothing special.

Edelman played in place of Welker after his 2009 knee injury, he had 16 receptions, on 23 targets, for 147 yards, and 2 touchdowns in those 2 games.

By Belichick's own admission, that team only had Moss and Welker and Revis was shutting Moss' ass down in that game. Where else was Brady going to throw the ball to?

One problem with setting up depth charts now is that we don't know how the Patriots will look in their "base" offense. With the TE position so weak, we can probably expect a lot of 1 TE looks, but will that be

WR/WR/TE/HB/FG
or
WR/WR/WR/TE/HB

for example.

Additionally, in a 3 WR set, Will LaFell have earned a starting role, is it going to be Dobson and Edelman on the outside, or will BB decide that adjusting by opponent is the way to go? People need to remember that Edelman took a majority of his snaps on the outside last season, according to at least one reporter's snap breakdown, and Amendola is going to be in the slot.
These are some different packages I think we can use –

X-WR = outside WR
Z-WR = flanker WR
H-WR = slot WR
Y-TE = in line TE
A-TE = move TE

X-WR-Dobson
Z-WR-LaFell
H-WR-Edelman
Y-TE-Gronkowski

X-WR-Dobson/LaFell
Z-WR-Edelman
H-WR-Amendola
Y-TE-Gronkowski

X-WR-Dobson/LaFell
Z-WR-Boyce
H-WR-Edelman
Y-TE-Gronkowski

X-WR-Dobson
Z-WR-Edelman
Y-TE-Gronkowski
A-TE-LaFell

X-WR-Dobson
Z-WR-Edelman
H-WR-Amendola
Y-TE-Gronkowski
A-TE-LaFell

X-WR-Dobson
Z-WR-Boyce
H-WR-Edelman
H-WR-Amendola
Y-TE-Gronkowski

And another thread has gone down the Amendola rabbit hole. Time to start being more liberal with the thread ignore, I think.

@KontradictioN could you outline what makes Amendola a better player?

Kontra just spent all that time politely replying to your post which was somewhat nonsensical. Then you have the nerve to ask him this after all that effort he put in?

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents