PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread POST GAME THREAD: Week 3 - Patriots Beat the Jets 15-10

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I agree with a lot of this but it still seems like the WRs, JJSS and Douglas for example, are running the wrong routes. The passing offense does not look crisp and I blame some of it on the WRs are not executing well in a new offensive system.
The route running problems show up vs pressure. I think the WRs are not adjusting their routes correctly and Mac is less accurate in getting it to the hot read spot. Also KBs routes seem poor on a regular basis (which is too bad since he's the best at YAC on the team; Pop might be able to surpass him at some point this season). Possible this all gets better with more time to throw (Mac had the least amount of time in the league over the first 2 games) and with more experience from the WRs in the system.

The route running problems show up vs pressure. I think the WRs are not adjusting their routes correctly and Mac is less accurate in getting it to the hot read spot. Also KBs routes seem poor on a regular basis (which is too bad since he's the best at YAC on the team; Pop might be able to surpass him at some point this season). Possible this all gets better with more time to throw (Mac had the least amount of time in the league over the first 2 games) and with more experience from the WRs in the system.

It is like JJSS and Douglas are immune to a back shoulder pass. The game is different if the WRs are breaking outside for Mac's back shoulder passes.

Boutte might help - no idea how long it will take him to learn to get two feet down. ;) OH I forgot Boutte was pushed out and there was nothing wrong with his technique. :rolleyes:

Amazing to think a different drive in each game and the Patriots could be 3-0 or 0-3.
Pats could be 3-2 in the near future. All it takes is a good win against Dallas and our season is very much alive.

When we get Jonathan Jones back I feel that this defense is elite. With the way González has played all we need is steady cornerback play on the other side and in the slot to lock teams down. If the offense can just get its **** somewhat together we can string some wins.

I agree with a lot of this but it still seems like the WRs, JJSS and Douglas for example, are running the wrong routes. The passing offense does not look crisp and I blame some of it on the WRs are not executing well in a new offensive system.
That's fair. They do need to clean that up. And while I'm optimistic enough about our receiving corps as a whole, I think JJSS will be going the way of Sanu unfortunately.

That's why I hate doing to game by game win or lose through the schedule before the season starts, a lot of times the previous year is nothing like the current year.

That's fair. They do need to clean that up. And while I'm optimistic enough about our receiving corps as a whole, I think JJSS will be going the way of Sanu unfortunately.

Between JJSS, Thornton, Douglas, and Boutte, who is going to pick up the offense first?

Henry is OK. Gesicki looks like he is integrating. Even Pharoah looks OK for his role. Parker does his thing. Bourne struggles with his routes but his athleticism is enabling. If two of Thornton, JJSS, Douglas, and Boutte could integrate we would be all set.

Last edited:
Between JJSS, Thornton, Douglas, and Boutte, who is going you pick up the offense first?

Henry is OK. Gesicki looks like he is integrating. Even Pharoah looks OK for his role. Parker does his thing. Bourne struggles with his routes but his athleticism is enabling. If two of Thornton, JJSS, Douglas, and Boutte could integrate we would be all set.
To randomly break this down by the numbers and possibly being completely off, I'd say the % chance of those guys becoming significant contributors (at least solid wr3 quality?) going forward:

- Douglas: 35% this year / 65% by next year

- Boutte: 20% / 50%

- Thornton: 15% / 20%

- JJSS: 10% / 10%

On the play where Mac was body slammed by Mosely, would have been really nice to see someone from the OL or a TE come to help him out and stick up for him by shoving Mosely. The response by teammates to that body slam was very weak.

How was that not a penalty after whistle was blown and he was slammed to the ground....
I am beginning to think that the refs hate Mac as much as the opposing team?
By the way I do not blame MAC for getting pissed...one of the Jets lineman was pushing his neck straight back.

Jets are complaining that Corky either grabbed or punched a NY DB in the crotch.
Of all the crotches in the league, there's no doubt that Jets' crotches, much like Jay Cutler's face, are the most punchable.

Trent Brown looks like that big guy I try to tuck in behind at South Station when I take the Commuter Rail in from Framingham. Nimble yet considerate of his fellow travelers.

13 points
13 points
13 points

Gonna be ugly next week against Dallas
Next week could be the first time we get to see the projected starting offensive line together. No turnovers and no sacks today against a good defense in lousy conditions. Zeke will be up for another productive game. This was one to build on against Dallas that lost to a weak opponent.

That's why I hate doing to game by game win or lose through the schedule before the season starts, a lot of times the previous year is nothing like the current year.
The whole AFC playoff race looks a lot less daunting than it looked before Week 1 started.

Cincy in trouble. Jets LoL. KC at least human. Chargers rough start. Jacksonville just lost to Houston to go to 1-2.

It might be more wide open in the AFC than I thought.

Absolutely Pathetic offensive performance. But I'll take the win.

The safety by Judon at the end was extremely clutch as it took away the option of the FG for the Jets.

And the way Wilson was playing you knew he wasn't going to score another TD against our defense.

On offense, the Game ball goes to Pharoah Brown for an unexpected and much needed offensive performance. His TD won us the game. Second game ball goes to Ezekiel Elliott for a solid 80 yard 5.0 ypc performance. He gave us a much needed option when Rham was struggling on the day.

Mac Jones was for the most part quite POOR. :poop: He barely passed for 50% completion rate and if you take away his one long gainer to Pharaoh Brown he had a 5.1 YPA. That's just not good enough. There were just too many botched drives by Mac Jones. And when we really needed the 3rd down completion to put away the game on 3rd and 3, he couldn't convert.

I'm not going to completely discount his one big play because it did happen, but he still needs to improve a LOT overall. 13 points total by the offense is not going to cut it when we face any kind of REAL competition.

Our Defense was fantastic. They kept us in it and they sealed the deal with the safety when the offense kept coming up short. Only iffy play was Bryant's PI that gave the Jets life and a free set of downs at the goal line but outside of that the Defense stands as the real reason we won this game. *golf clap*

Honorable mention goes to Zach Wilson. His incredibly crappy play at the QB position really kept us in this game even though we were on the road and our offense looked even more incompetent than usual. Bravo Zach Wilson, you were playing for the red, blue, and silver today! :haha:

The OLine is a mess

Mac is under duress almost immediately on every snap. The run blocking is mostly non existent. Our offense can't get any kind of rhythm going because of the turnstiles in the trenches.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back