PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Positional ranking 3-4 ILB Pre Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Although we have Mayo locked up for a long time and we have SSSLLLLOOOWWWW Spikes and Fletcher, I think we could use another body to replace Guyton.

Positional Requirements: Ability to tackle and stack and shed giant OG's and C's and FB's and TE's on occasion. Ability to cover TE's RB's and occasionally WR"s. Needs to be instinctive and intelligent enough to call defenses.

Rankings:

1.) Kuelchy - BC. Best tackling ILB I have seen since Willis. Most instinctive player I have seen since Bruschi. Needs more weight and needs to run a 4.6 at the combine. Mid to late first round.
2.) Hightower - Alabama. 3 years experience playing in our defense. Not much in coverage, but faster than Spikes. Late first round to early second round.
3.) Burflict - Arizona State - Emotional player who needs a thorough mental exam. Anger management issues? Play maker. Late second round.
4.) Cole - NC State - Except for speed he has it all. Late third round to early fourth round.
5.) Johnson - Nevada - Tackling machine, always seems to be around the ball. ST core player. Late fourth round to early fifth round.

Sleeper: Acho - Texas - Career under achiever. Shows some ability. Would playing in our defense motivate him? Sixth round.

I'm a big fan of Fletcher, and he has made big plays the last two weeks vs. the Fins and the Broncos, I really like him for next year. Of course Mayo is a stud, Spikes is a run stopper.

I'm for a 3rd round ILB if it means Guyton/Tracy White never see the field.

I'm a big fan of Fletcher, and he has made big plays the last two weeks vs. the Fins and the Broncos, I really like him for next year. Of course Mayo is a stud, Spikes is a run stopper.

I'm for a 3rd round ILB if it means Guyton/Tracy White never see the field.

Didn't Tracy White save our sorry defense by making an incredible play in coverage in the Washington game?

Although we have Mayo locked up for a long time and we have SSSLLLLOOOWWWW Spikes and Fletcher, I think we could use another body to replace Guyton.

Positional Requirements: Ability to tackle and stack and shed giant OG's and C's and FB's and TE's on occasion. Ability to cover TE's RB's and occasionally WR"s. Needs to be instinctive and intelligent enough to call defenses.

Rankings:

1.) Kuelchy - BC. Best tackling ILB I have seen since Willis. Most instinctive player I have seen since Bruschi. Needs more weight and needs to run a 4.6 at the combine. Mid to late first round.
2.) Hightower - Alabama. 3 years experience playing in our defense. Not much in coverage, but faster than Spikes. Late first round to early second round.
3.) Burflict - Arizona State - Emotional player who needs a thorough mental exam. Anger management issues? Play maker. Late second round.
4.) Cole - NC State - Except for speed he has it all. Late third round to early fourth round.
5.) Johnson - Nevada - Tackling machine, always seems to be around the ball. ST core player. Late fourth round to early fifth round.

Sleeper: Acho - Texas - Career under achiever. Shows some ability. Would playing in our defense motivate him? Sixth round.

I'm not a fan of Burfict. He was benched against Cal, was benched in the first quarter against Boise State and was pulled later in the game too. He is physically gifted, but he lacks discipline. I don't want him anywhere near our team.

I'm also curious about Emmanuel Acho. Isn't he considered an overachiever? Lacks athleticism, but makes plays because of above average instincts?

Didn't Tracy White save our sorry defense by making an incredible play in coverage in the Washington game?

I thought White played the best game we've seen out of him in that game. I think he earned the Don Davis role of special teamer and hybrid LB\SS for that performance.

I'm still on board with grabbing an ILB as more of a priority but Fletcher has been playing really good. Spikes and Fletcher don't seem to be able to stay healthy and Hightower in a pinch could play all four LB spots in a pinch. He's not going to give you the burst to be a major factor as a pass rusher from the outside but he's more than capable in setting the edge and I think he could bull rush and press the pocket. Really he and Mayo together would eliminate teams being able to scheme a guard onto Mayo like they do now knowing that if you get him blocked you've exposed the soft underbelly especially with Chung out.

I'm sure Burfict's draft stock has taken a huge tumble and wouldn't have a problem drafting him late because I have faith Bill could do something with him.

Really he and Mayo together would eliminate teams being able to scheme a guard onto Mayo like they do now

Excellent point!

If anything Hightower would become the Mike would be the first option for the OG's firing out on running plays. ( The other OG and center should be locked onto Wilfork.)

This frees Mayo up to become a play maker with more space to go sideline to sideline.

Once Manti Te'o decided to go back to school I got a lot less excited about this years crop of ILBs. Obviously I still love Kuechly and Hightower but they won't be around when it's our turn. I really like Sean Spence out of Miami. He's short but he's always around the ball. I wouldn't mind him as a mid to late round prospect.

We can get all of the OLBs and ILBs in the world. Heck we could have Ware, Willis, Mayo, and Woodley back there but until we find a DE to fill the void Seymour left behind it won't matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference