PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Should The Patriots look to trade Garroppolo?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should New England trade Jimmy Grapes to gain draft capital? Or should they keep him?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts:

1) We don't know the details of the Brady extension yet. It could be set up as an option bonus at the beginning of the 2018 season, which could potentially make Brady a free agent after 2017 anyway if they decline the option.

2) They invested a 2nd round pick in Garappolo and he hasn't played much. Can't see how his value has increased beyond a late 2nd rounder at this point.

3) Would they want to spend the cap space on a veteran backup who knows the system (Hoyer, Mallet, Cassel)? That defeats the purpose of the cap space they may have gained by the Brady restructuring.

4) They haven't yet gotten rid of a backup without feeling comfortable with the new backup - who was already on the roster. They waited until the end of camp to trade Mallett in 2014. They had both Mallett and Hoyer in 2011 before going exclusively with Mallett in 2012. The intention in 2009 was that O'Connell was going to be the backup, but he stunk and Hoyer completely outplayed him so Hoyer stuck at that point. And they drafted O'Connell in 2008 but still hung onto Cassel anyhow (fortunately as it turned out), likely with the intention of having Cassel walk after 2008 and O'Connell step into the role in 2009. If Garappolo is traded right now, they have no backup, and a free agent signing brings us back to #3 again.

As Denver showed this year, having a competent backup QB is crucial. If the Pats believe Garappolo is that (and what I've seen so far seems to support that he could hold the fort down short-term if needed), then I would be surprised if they trade him until/unless they have someone else about whom they feel the same way.

Last edited:
I don't think they're going to even consider doing anything with him if he's the only back up on the roster. So he stays put for now.

And the lack of a first round pick this year doesn't have anything to do with anything.

He's no Garoppolo, but I guess he's handsome enough.

0285cc07cfc7081bf93d0d3e3a575119e4e4090e5cb3dfe2278a1511a0c322bb_large

Need an option for it depends and explain.

I don't think you can trade him unless you can bring in an adequate replacement for cheap money or you have somebody picked out in this draft and after drafting him you trade JG for a future #1.

Need an option for it depends and explain.

I don't think you can trade him unless you can bring in an adequate replacement for cheap money or you have somebody picked out in this draft and after drafting him you trade JG for a future #1.
depends.png

1) They can't even think of trading JG until they know whether or not Brady is getting suspended.
2) We need to have a backup QB who gives us a fighting or better chance to win during any game(s) that Brady is unable to play because of injury.

It's true that if Brady misses most of the season we are screwed. However, I don't want us to be conceding playoff seeding if Brady gets dinged up at some point and has to miss a game or three. If we trade JG, those 1-3 games will be near-guaranteed losses. With him we have a chance.

This late in Brady's career we can't afford to throw away a good seed (or even a playoff berth) if he happens to miss a few games.

So at least for the 2016 season keep JG.

A lot of it depends on what is available in this years draft for QB's.
Do any of these players have developmental upside as a 3rd QB on the roster?
Does Belichick want to use a roster spot for a 3rd QB - of course the player could be stowed away/IR'd.
What are the choices and for how much money can we obtain a backup QB?
This team is too well stocked not to have a competent backup.

That being said i would not trade him for any less than two 2nd round picks 1 this and 1 next year.

Can he Dab?
Or protect the passer?

But seriously folks, I wouldn't trade Garoppolo until the NYJFL's appeal v Brady is adjudicated.
But if the prior verdict is upheld before the draft, then I would trade him in a heartbeat for Houston's
1st-rounder. He's a 4th-round talent with tiny hands whom Bill over-drafted at the end of the 2nd round when there were other players still available who could've helped us the past 2 seasons.

Flacco *cough*

3yr/66M extension *cough*

44M newly guaranteed *cough*

there would be a decent market for garoppolo

1) They can't even think of trading JG until they know whether or not Brady is getting suspended.
2) We need to have a backup QB who gives us a fighting or better chance to win during any game(s) that Brady is unable to play because of injury.

It's true that if Brady misses most of the season we are screwed. However, I don't want us to be conceding playoff seeding if Brady gets dinged up at some point and has to miss a game or three. If we trade JG, those 1-3 games will be near-guaranteed losses. With him we have a chance.

This late in Brady's career we can't afford to throw away a good seed (or even a playoff berth) if he happens to miss a few games.

So at least for the 2016 season keep JG.

I'm not in favor of trading Garrapolo right now but could see them bringing a guy like Hasselback and then drafting one in the mid rounds of they were going that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST