PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: IF disaster strikes, where do the Patriots end up?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Worst case scenario, where do the Patriots finish?

• 1-4 wins

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 5-8 wins

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 9+ wins, no playoffs

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • 9+ wins, early exit from playoffs

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • 9+ wins, legit contender in playoffs

Votes: 36 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Donkey's won a super bowl with suspect quarterback play.

The Pats defense could be better than last year. The Pats would need a 'veteran' QB to manage the offense, but with the amount of weapons, and decent OL, they should still win the division and host at least 1 playoff game. If Matt Cassel can win 11 games in 2008, I think even JB could win us 9-10 in 2017. We would need a strong running game though. Add an Adrian Peterson type RB to this offense, and all we would need is a QB to not turn the ball over.

I would argue as some have, that JG is extremely important insurance. Look at MN last year, and what they had to give up to get a functional QB. Whatever draft currency the Pats would get trading JG, they would have to give up to get someone who may not be as good. Though small sample size, JG played outstanding in his 6 quarters of play. Add Gronk and Cooks, and JG should do very well.

If the Pats are SB favorites, then 'going all in' for the next 2 years makes more sense than ever, as TB's window is very small and not projectable. Even 2 years ago in 2014 after the KC game many people though TB was done, and though he was superhuman last year, his drop off is closer than later. It is nice to dream about multiple high draft picks, but none of them will likely be major contributors to a super bowl run over the next 2 years, but JG will be.

What if

1. JAG gets shipped out this offseason
  2. Brady gets injured week 1 and is lost for the season
  3. Jacoby is forced to start the full season
  4. A stiff of a veteran brought in as backup
  5. All players currently here, and all veteran additions, play within reason, better or worse, compared to last season
  6. No drafted player becomes a rookie stalwart
  7. Top drafted players become legit role players

Where do you think the Patriots would finish? Think carefully. 2018 draft position, after a "disaster" season, is on the line here!
Most of us are giddy with Super Bowl off season visions of a lock down secondary and a young receiver who can toy with even the best secondaries. I'm wondering what you have been doing to bring your thoughts to such dark places?

Most folks weren't around for the Celts in the sixties...although, the national media kept (prematurely) proclaiming their demise every year after '65 (sound familiar?)...and we won three more...

...they're not kidding about West. I'd take him over MJ every time.

I think you just proved my point

While we're at it what if BB keeps JAG, Brady gets hurt and JAG leads the team to another Super Bowl win?

th
Relax, Larry, he's just kidding!

The Donkey's won a super bowl with suspect quarterback play.

And a historically good defense. I really like ours but it falls short of that, at least for now.

The Pats defense could be better than last year. The Pats would need a 'veteran' QB to manage the offense, but with the amount of weapons, and decent OL, they should still win the division and host at least 1 playoff game. If Matt Cassel can win 11 games in 2008, I think even JB could win us 9-10 in 2017. We would need a strong running game though. Add an Adrian Peterson type RB to this offense, and all we would need is a QB to not turn the ball over.

Agreed re Cassel. In this scenario don't think JB would be in there for long if he was awful. And we are talking about the best coach that ever was. In fact put BB on the 2011 Curtis Painter Colts and I really believe they approach .500 instead of that hot dumpster fire they were. Plus the AFC stinks.

I would argue as some have, that JG is extremely important insurance. Look at MN last year, and what they had to give up to get a functional QB. Whatever draft currency the Pats would get trading JG, they would have to give up to get someone who may not be as good. Though small sample size, JG played outstanding in his 6 quarters of play.

He played well for having no expectations but he was a quite a few notches below "outstanding".

Add Gronk and Cooks, and JG should do very well.

If the Pats are SB favorites, then 'going all in' for the next 2 years makes more sense than ever, as TB's window is very small and not projectable. Even 2 years ago in 2014 after the KC game many people though TB was done, and though he was superhuman last year, his drop off is closer than later. It is nice to dream about multiple high draft picks, but none of them will likely be major contributors to a super bowl run over the next 2 years, but JG will be.

Both points are speculation and a little wishful thinking mixed in there. If this team improves by trading JG (and if the price is right that will be the case) you make the deal every time.

What if

1. JAG gets shipped out this offseason
  2. Brady gets injured week 1 and is lost for the season
  3. Jacoby is forced to start the full season
  4. A stiff of a veteran brought in as backup
  5. All players currently here, and all veteran additions, play within reason, better or worse, compared to last season
  6. No drafted player becomes a rookie stalwart
  7. Top drafted players become legit role players

Where do you think the Patriots would finish? Think carefully. 2018 draft position, after a "disaster" season, is on the line here!
I'd say 9 wins or so. Now that I've answered your question, have the courtesy to answer mine:

Where do you see the Patriots finishing if they keep Garoppolo and Brady gets injured week 1 and is lost for the season? Think carefully.

Most of us are giddy with Super Bowl off season visions of a lock down secondary and a young receiver who can toy with even the best secondaries. I'm wondering what you have been doing to bring your thoughts to such dark places?

Every one of the seemingly 9 million JAG threads has people screaming "What if Brady gets hurt?!", generally as some blanket insistence that JAG be kept. I'm letting people actually answer the question, as best they can. It's pretty illuminating, if you take a look at the responses:

• As of now (35 votes), not one person has said that the team would win 4 or fewer games.
  • As of now, 22 of 35 voters (63%) have said that the team would still make the playoffs.
  • As of now, 7 of 35 voters (20%) have said that the team would still be a legit contender in the playoffs.

If we trade Jimmy, I'd expect we have a top 12 first round pick this year at least and extra picks next year.

The first round pick would be expected to make an impact this year.

The future picks would be enough to ensure they could trade for a QB like Hoyer or better if Brissett isn't ready.

I think they'd go 11-5ish.

Both points are speculation and a little wishful thinking mixed in there. If this team improves by trading JG (and if the price is right that will be the case) you make the deal every time.

I would agree with that being the case except for the QB position. Personally, I think the Pats 'could have' had a deep playoff run in 2008 if they had a 'better' QB. I cannot remember when Bret Farve got signed that year (but I think it was not even 4 weeks earlier), but I would argue that Farve with the Pats in 2008 and we are in the SB in 2008.

Name 1 QB 'that is or will be available' that is better than JG for 2017 in the 'event of disaster'. I agree that if someone is willing to overpay to get JG (like MN last year) then you make the deal.

I think rather than this poll question, the real question is what do people think the Pats chances are with JG as QB for the entire 2017 season? I bet probably more than 50% would still pick us as AFC champs. If BB also believes that, then other than a gross overpay, it makes no sense to make that trade.

This is a great question. I don't get the negativity. (What do want? Another JG thread?)

IMO, the Pats would make the playoffs with Brissett. They have a lot of offensive weapons going into the season and if they get both Hightower and Butler back then this D will be good enough to carry a rookie QB. Brissett showed a lot of composure and toughness during his two game audition and he would improve throughout the season. Sure there would be some ups and downs but they would definitely make a good run at the playoffs.

So I would go with 9-7 with at least one win in the playoffs.

It revolves around the trade JG or not question. If we can create 30 JG threads we can at least discuss what we would expect from Brissett.

What everyone forgets about the 2008 season was that Randy Moss put that team on his back. Cassel was meh. And what most seem to forget was that JG ran the Pats Brady game plan, an offense too complicated for ex-Colt receivers to even learn.

I would agree with that being the case except for the QB position. Personally, I think the Pats 'could have' had a deep playoff run in 2008 if they had a 'better' QB. I cannot remember when Bret Farve got signed that year (but I think it was not even 4 weeks earlier), but I would argue that Farve with the Pats in 2008 and we are in the SB in 2008.

Name 1 QB 'that is or will be available' that is better than JG for 2017 in the 'event of disaster'. I agree that if someone is willing to overpay to get JG (like MN last year) then you make the deal.

I think rather than this poll question, the real question is what do people think the Pats chances are with JG as QB for the entire 2017 season? I bet probably more than 50% would still pick us as AFC champs. If BB also believes that, then other than a gross overpay, it makes no sense to make that trade.

Ehhh... I don't know about that re Super Bowl berth in 08. I thought the defense was kinda ordinary that year, despite the easy schedule...and as we know now that was the start of the end of their run as a good defensive team for a few years. They had trouble beating good teams and the offense wasn't the only reason for that.

I've said all along... we really have no clue how good JG is. We don't know if he's for real in that sample size. We should also keep in mind that teams had no tape on him - but they do now. How will he adjust when they adjust to him and there are defensive game plans written for him? Time will tell.

Ultimately- if a great deal is to be had that can address needs on this team I say the deal must be made. JG is only one guy and this team despite the awesomeness of Brady is not all about the one guy.

Hahahahaha!! And LMAO!!

You know when you're a New England Patriots fan and have gotten so used used to watching the Dynasty that people actually worry about idiotic stuff like this.

Can you say "Time for therapy"? o_O

It's just a question...

This defense will keep them in any games and probably will produce enough turnovers to make the offense's life easy. Hopefully, Brissett has matured enough to keep them competitive. I think if he hadn't and the other choice was a veteran "stiff," you'd see a trade for Hoyer or someone somewhat familiar with the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes