PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: If Belichick Pulled an Andy Reid, Would You Want Him To Stay?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If Belichick said, "I just want to coach" - Would you want him to stay?

• Yes

Votes: 43 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 34.8%

• Total voters
I just don't see how it would work. I just can't see BB giving up control of the roster. I am afraid he would be still mandating certain STs players over offensive players and defensive players over offensive players. Do we really think his philosophy of roster building will change? He has always believed in a roster of middle-class players over star players. Who is this person who is going to overrule BB? I just cant see it.

Yes, as Defensive Coordinator.

He would easily be the best DC in the league, hands down. One positive thing that article did highlight was found in that quote where the source/player was like "He says the team will do this, to the exact point, and every ****ing time he's right" and the defensive product still confirms this, even when we're down many starters.

If Bill Belichick pulled an Andy Reid - who if I recall (and just noticed Albert Breer also brought it up last night on NBC Sports Boston) removed himself from this when he left Philadelphia - and said, "I'm done scouting and sitting in personnel meetings, let someone else deal with that. I like teaching and just want to coach," would you want him to stay?
Was Belichick lying when he said he didn't do any scouting?

Personnel is totally different. Every coach is involved in those decisions.

I was just reading about the Commanders situation under Snyder, and their ex-GM said that every GM gets the blessing of a coach with respect to scheme when it comes to adding players. But Snyder by himself kept adding guys without even talking to the GM.

So, what is Reid doing? Clearly he is making personnel decisions.

If Bill Belichick pulled an Andy Reid - who if I recall (and just noticed Albert Breer also brought it up last night on NBC Sports Boston) removed himself from this when he left Philadelphia - and said, "I'm done scouting and sitting in personnel meetings, let someone else deal with that. I like teaching and just want to coach," would you want him to stay?
I want him to stay regardless.

But after the **** show this year, its quite clear he needs to get his house in order. Dump BoB's ass on the curb, and bring back Josh to rebuild the offense.

I would consider it if Bill legitimately showed disinterest in team construction, which right now I don't. My concern is that he actually likes having that control and it would influence how he would deal with a new GM and how he would apply the players he was given.

Time to move on. The guy is 72 and this is just the beginning of a rebuild.

Honestly, there's sort of a heaviness to him being around now. Sometimes you just know when it's time.

I would be happy to root for him in another setting, on another team, break the record, good for him. But it's time for the Patriots to turn the page.

I want him to stay, period. This forum needs a thread for all the enlightened posters to display their football acumen and tell us who they want for a new coach. No BS - lay it right out there so we can all see what great coaching talent prognosticators we have on this forum.

I want him to stay anyway.

I said no because his philosophy will not change.

Even if doesn’t take care of personel, what will happen when the GM will give him a smaller Lb? He will just convert him to safety.

Or if you give him a rookie blue chip WR and he fumble the ball in his first game? Will we not see him for 4 games?
Yes we must extinguish that philosophy that has won more than anyone else ever has.

Bill not being kept up to date on draft picks/FA's isn't right. That would cause friction. Bill intentionally benching the new GM's picks/FA's would also cause issues everywhere. You could get into a situation where the Patriots would need to outright fire Bill mid-season if that happened.

There are only three options imo:

Bill leaves for another team
Bill stays as HC/GM with final say
Bill retires

I would say the GM and O'Brien should be the ones in charge of staffing the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. They need to improve that and build continuity to weather any departures moving forward, along with also incentivizing guys to stick around rather than seeing so many of them bail at the first opportunity. I feel like there's also a reason behind that we're all probably unaware of.
The Gong Show Shut Up GIF by ABC Network
sassy gong show GIF by ABC Network
gong show no GIF by ABC Network

Bill may already done so? On one of his weekly Greg Hill show call ins.. he said that he couldn't do everything by himself. Singing players, scouting and coach. However I still believe he is a great head coach, but I don't think he would stay and take a pay cut to stay on as HC. However stranger things have happened and it could definitely be a possibility.

I want him to stay, period. This forum needs a thread for all the enlightened posters to display their football acumen and tell us who they want for a new coach. No BS - lay it right out there so we can all see what great coaching talent prognosticators we have on this forum.
Someone should definitely do that if they're on the Patriots payroll and getting paid to make that decision.

Kevin Stefanski appears to be a good to great coach, and he was on the Vikings staff for years, there for the taking. Someone who is getting paid to make these decisions should find the next guy like him. That's not my job. I do my job well, and I don't ask Bob Kraft to help me.

Last edited:
So the HC hires half the coaching staff?
Does the HC have the power to fire offensive coaches?
Does the HC have authority over offensive coaches...ie....offensive game planning, offensive roster management, etc?

Love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation....
Robert: "Bill....you are no longer GM and only half HC.....Good luck.....oh.......and I told the new GM to not spend too much I'm building another phallic symbol on the other side of the stadium....Feng shui""
That's how it works in any high performing organization. Managers hire their own people. Their boss simply provides counsel. But managers need the authority to succeed.

Yes, as Defensive Coordinator.
LOL you don't really think Bill would stay on demoted to DC do you? Be humiliated and lose his last chance to chase Shula? Retirement would make much more sense if that were his only option...

I said no because his philosophy will not change.

Even if doesn’t take care of personel, what will happen when the GM will give him a smaller Lb? He will just convert him to safety.

Or if you give him a rookie blue chip WR and he fumble the ball in his first game? Will we not see him for 4 games?
Exactly. Belichick can't be trusted. He's petty and vindictive if he doesn't get his way. Mac sucks, but what he did to him was criminal. All to prove a point.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back