Votes: 66 68.0%
  • Gaffney is our #5 receiver.

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But fewer touchdowns.

Agreed. Randy, Wes, and Ben are going to get in the end zone more than Gaffney, but as a position, drive player ... he might wind up having more value than Welker. Remember, Gaffney's whole career was spent catching passes from David Carr, and even still he was putting up 50+ a year. Could be interesting to see what he does now, I don't think NYJ and SD were fluky games for him.

I place him at #4 assuming Moss plays and considering that Troy is on PUP. However, in terms of the Jets game, he's the receiver Brady is most familiar with of those available. If he's fully healthy, he could fluctuate between 1 and 4 in that game alone depending on how they use Moss. Don't forget that Gaffney missed a good portion of pre-season as well.

I think next season he is a starter. But now hes #4.

:rofl: So I can't count and can't read, when did that become critical for polling? We can start worrying about Gaffer Wednesday when the first injury report comes out.

This just shows another angle on the tremendous depth on this team.

-Moss should be the #1.
-Stallworth could be a #1, easily is a #2
-Welker led his team in catches, and could be close to that this year, although he will be 3rd or 4th in # of downs played
-Gaffney acted like a #1 in the playoffs
-Washington is the sleeper, IMO. I could honestly see him go anywhere from inactive to starting. His potential is immense, and he just has never put it together. This kind of offense could be where he does. He is a big target, and a good blocker. I can see him moving up the depth chart and seeing a lot more time than anyone expects. Or he couldbe inactive.

Add Watson to this, and then factor in that Tom Brady is famous for spreading the ball. I think this depth, along with the fact that these guys have very different skill set, is much, much more dangerous than a team with 2 stud WRs, when you factor in Brady is throwing the ball.

In a system where if you are open Tom Brady find you, and you can name off 6 guys who can get open, the potential of this passing game is huge.

The result that I see is rather than 'settling' for what is open Brady will have choices of who to throw to, and we will have more big plays in the passing game than we have ever seen.

Our Wr corps up until now has been "someone get open and Brady will find you" and it is starting to look like "guys are open and Brady can choose who to throw to".

I think he's the #3. Welker is tough to slot (no pun intended) because he simply can't lineup on the outside and if any "starting" WR went down, I couldn't imagine him starting on the outside.

Thus, I rate Gaffney ahead of him, assuming Moss & Stallworth are the starters.

Even then, I could see Gaffney starting over Stallworth.

This just shows another angle on the tremendous depth on this team.

-Moss should be the #1.
-Stallworth could be a #1, easily is a #2
-Welker led his team in catches, and could be close to that this year, although he will be 3rd or 4th in # of downs played
-Gaffney acted like a #1 in the playoffs
-Washington is the sleeper, IMO. I could honestly see him go anywhere from inactive to starting. His potential is immense, and he just has never put it together. This kind of offense could be where he does. He is a big target, and a good blocker. I can see him moving up the depth chart and seeing a lot more time than anyone expects. Or he couldbe inactive.

I agree with your statement... I never knew why Washington wasn't given more of a chance in Cinci.

my man is number 4

He is our 4th best, and he would be a number 2 on some teams...

He is our 4th best, and he would be a number 2 on some teams...

Don't agree with that. I'm not sure he cracks the roster on other teams. He's very compatible with Brady's style. Disciplined route runner, lets the play develop and gets open by virtue of the defensive call and not blinding speed or jumping ability. I think Washington is a man without a role on this team, hopefully Jackson comes off PUP midseason and gets some reps.

It would not surprise me at all if Gaffney were the team's leading receiver over the course of the first 6 games or so. In fact, I think that's the likely scenario.

To think otherwise would underestimate the importance of QB-WR communication. I think it took Gaffney about 6 games before he was really on the same page with Brady and the new guys will need to go through a similar learning curve.

In fact, some of them may never get over that hump. We didn't see anything from Stallworth or Moss during the preseason. I'm guessing that one of the 2 will turn out to be a bust this year (or get hurt) which is OK since we have the 2 of them and they are both essentially on 1 year deals.

Of the new guys the only one I'm not worried about is Welker. But I still think he's probably a #3 guy.

So put me down for Gaffney as the #1 guy for the first 6 weeks and the #2 over the course of the full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft