PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players needing to step up against the Eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Players needing to step up against the Eagles.

Gronkowski has officially be ruled out. As we have known, Edelman was also ruled out.
The statuses of Amendola, Hightower, Collins, Coleman, Chung, and Mike Williams are up in the air.

Here is what we know:
  • Collins says he's ready to go. It remains to be seen of the Patriots Staff thinks so.
  • Chung played last week.
  • M. Williams didn't play last week.
  • Coleman and Easley only practiced today and they were limited.. IMHO, it's unlikely they play..
So, who needs to step up:
LaFell - I love Jo-Jo. But 4 receptions for 36 yards just isn't going to cut it.
Martin - Needs to step up opposite LaFell.
Damaris Johnson - Pats brought him in for kick/punt returns after Harper muffed the punt last week. Need him to just catch the ball without fumbling. Anything else is just "frosting on the cake"
Scott Chandler & Asante Cleveland - These two need to both step up their game. Chandler especially. He needs to catch the damn ball when it's thrown to him and hits him in the hands.. I won't fault him for the over-throws. Cleveland needs to get open.
The O-Line: The O-line is the healthiest it's been since Dallas. They need to open holes for the RBs and be good in pass protection. Their poor run blocking can be directly tied to the RBs poor running.
The RBs: We need them all to step up. Blount has been looking more and more like Mike "2 Yards" Cloud than the Blount we have come to enjoy. Some of it's been a lack of holes, but some of it is Blount running upright and trying to plough through piles instead of avoiding them. James White showed that he can be decent in both the run game and passing game. He needs to step up and show consistency. Trey Williams is a wild card. We just don't know what, if anything, he brings. He could be another Dion Lewis or he could be Antoine Womack.

I'm gonna say it. This is easily the worst talent that Brady has had to work with in his time with the Patriots. Yes, it's worse than 2006 when they had Caldwell, Jackson, Gabriel, Dillon, Maroney, Graham, Watson, Brown, Pass, Kight, and Gaffney, Faulk, and Evans.

I can't disagree with anything you say. Pats are facing a team that allowed 90 points in last 2 games. They are back home. Pats still have the best QB in the league behind center. Just can't seem to be worried about this one.

Honestly if anything, the play of the LBs would be my only concern if Collins and HTOWER are MIA.

Cannot disagree either, but equal to stepping up McDaniels needs a game plan that plays to the strengths of the personnel available.. no more of forcing the ball to Chandler on deep sideline routes.

I think Collins plays, and Hightower plays situationally..

They have to get the running game going. Denver had like 10 more minutes of TOP last game and I believe that contributed to the D being gassed at the end. Obviously the elements and altitude didn't help.

Who are the Players to Watch for the Patriots

Steve Balestrieri

In the last five games, the Philly defense has allowed 828 yards on the ground an average of 165.6 yards per game. This is the time for Blount to get some yardage and take some pressure off the receivers.

Continue reading...

LaFell, Chandler and Blount. These are veterans that need to step up in the absence of the more significant offensive contributors. They need to put the offense on their backs for a few games to get us past the worst of the injury issues.

Martin, big time. We need a reliable target to run the shorter and intermediate routes like crazy to at least give the Pats even a percentage of Edelman's lost production. With or without Amendola. Same thing can be said of Chandler.

They have to get the running game going. Denver had like 10 more minutes of TOP last game and I believe that contributed to the D being gassed at the end. Obviously the elements and altitude didn't help.

The refs were the biggest contributing factor to the D being gassed at the end..

McCourty needs to up his game

Gronkowski has officially be ruled out. As we have known, Edelman was also ruled out.
The statuses of Amendola, Hightower, Collins, Coleman, Chung, and Mike Williams are up in the air.

Here is what we know:
Collins says he's ready to go. It remains to be seen of the Patriots Staff thinks so.
Chung played last week.
M. Williams didn't play last week.
Coleman and Easley only practiced today and they were limited.. IMHO, it's unlikely they play..

LaFell - I love Jo-Jo. But 4 receptions for 36 yards just isn't going to cut it.
Damaris Johnson - Pats brought him in for kick/punt returns after Harper muffed the punt last week. Need him to just catch the ball without fumbling. Anything else is just "frosting on the cake"
Scott Chandler & Asante Cleveland - These two need to both step up their game. Chandler especially. He needs to catch the damn ball when it's thrown to him and hits him in the hands.. I won't fault him for the over-throws. Cleveland needs to get open.
The O-Line: The O-line is the healthiest it's been since Dallas. They need to open holes for the RBs and be good in pass protection. Their poor run blocking can be directly tied to the RBs poor running.
The RBs: We need them all to step up. Blount has been looking more and more like Mike "2 Yards" Cloud than the Blount we have come to enjoy. Some of it's been a lack of holes, but some of it is Blount running upright and trying to plough through piles instead of avoiding them. James White showed that he can be decent in both the run game and passing game. He needs to step up and show consistency. Trey Williams is a wild card. We just don't know what, if anything, he brings. He could be another Dion Lewis or he could be Antoine Womack.

I'm gonna say it. This is easily the worst talent that Brady has had to work with in his time with the Patriots. Yes, it's worse than 2006 when they had Caldwell, Jackson, Gabriel, Dillon, Maroney, Graham, Watson, Brown, Pass, Kight, and Gaffney, Faulk, and Evans.
I don't disagree, but I think you have your priorities wrong. The most critical element that needs to step up is the OL period. If they can get back to where they were 3 games ago, everything else will begin to fall into place.

What is gone from the offense without Edelman, Gronk,. and Amendola, are the 3 Brady safety nets that allowed him to get rid of the ball so quickly, no DL could provide consistent pressure. Now that they are gone the offense needs to adjust, and give Brady that extra second of time to find that open receiver.

Other people who need to step their games up are Martin, who has the quickness to take on some of the Amendola/Edelman routes, and of course Chandler. BTW- Chandler shouldn't be expected to do what Gronk does. He just has to provide us with a viable TE/seam threat, and about 50 yards of offense. Anything more than that will be gravy.

I'm almost hoping the Pats can get by another week without Amendola and Hightower. It would be a gamble, even with Philadelphia. But getting those 2 guys playing at 95% rather than 85% (with the risk of aggrevating the injury) is more important than playing an out of conference game at home. JMHO

I don't disagree, but I think you have your priorities wrong. The most critical element that needs to step up is the OL period. If they can get back to where they were 3 games ago, everything else will begin to fall into place.

What is gone from the offense without Edelman, Gronk,. and Amendola, are the 3 Brady safety nets that allowed him to get rid of the ball so quickly, no DL could provide consistent pressure. Now that they are gone the offense needs to adjust, and give Brady that extra second of time to find that open receiver.

Other people who need to step their games up are Martin, who has the quickness to take on some of the Amendola/Edelman routes, and of course Chandler. BTW- Chandler shouldn't be expected to do what Gronk does. He just has to provide us with a viable TE/seam threat, and about 50 yards of offense. Anything more than that will be gravy.

I'm almost hoping the Pats can get by another week without Amendola and Hightower. It would be a gamble, even with Philadelphia. But getting those 2 guys playing at 95% rather than 85% (with the risk of aggrevating the injury) is more important than playing an out of conference game at home. JMHO

Ken- I didn't prioritize me list..

Josh needs to implement whatever Buffalo used in their game plan that allowed Chandler to do so much damage against the Pats.

VERY disappointed in what we've gotten out of Chandler, and I thought that signing Chandler was a huge positive when it happened.

McCourty needs to up his game

Absolutely hilarious that each time one of these types of threads get started someone says McCourty.

Just more baseless chicken littling

Here is what we know:
Collins says he's ready to go. It remains to be seen of the Patriots Staff thinks so.
Chung played last week.
M. Williams didn't play last week.
Coleman and Easley only practiced today and they were limited.. IMHO, it's unlikely they play..

Very nice write up. I think it is going to help that we are playing the Eagles and thankfully at home. I only think there are two truly potential losses left (Houston and Jets) and I don't think they will lose both. If we get to 14-2 and get HFA, and get the guys back, we will be OK. (At least win AFC for sure) I always say the Pats are going to win the Super Bowl, but I am still saying it now. (Even if we have 2 seed but really want the 1.)

Absolutely hilarious that each time one of these types of threads get started someone says McCourty.

Just more baseless chicken littling
Especially when, outside of the Giants game, McCourty has been nothing short of outstanding this season.

I would put this current offense with 2013 with the missing pieces.

I will say jojo has to step up this game. Philly has been torched by top receivers all season, but pretty decent outside of that. If maxwell can do work on lafell, it will be a much more difficult matchup.

We might have to look at wr after the offseason again. Dobson's likely gone.

Especially when, outside of the Giants game, McCourty has been nothing short of outstanding this season.
I don't think McCourty has had a particularly bad game, there's just a few uncharacteristic bonehead plays this year. Yeah, that blunder on the OBJ TD stands out, but I thought his trotting by a fumble (Pit?) earlier in the season was just as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore