PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Development

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL’s patience for draft or free-agent 'projects’ is dwindling | Dallas Cowboys | Star-Telegram.com
Posted on Wed, Apr. 22, 2009

NFL’s patience for draft or free-agent 'projects’ is dwindling

By MAC ENGEL

Not long after the NFL went out and got itself stupid rich, one of the things that so many of the coaches, general managers and even players had previously has become an extravagance.

No one has time anymore.

The days when the Dallas Cowboys or Cincinnati Bengals could draft a player with the long-term vision of developing that person into a solid contributor are all but gone.

"There has been a cosmic shift in the way front offices move these days," veteran NFL agent Dave Canter said. "I don’t care what anyone says — you have three years to make it in the NFL if you’re a coach, a GM or a player. After that, you’re out the door."
----------
Although coaches pay lip service for needing ample time to develop a quarterback or an offensive lineman, the first- or second-round picks play now and better be good now.
----------
How long a player is allowed to develop is basic math. The more money he receives in his signing bonus the longer a team will wait in hopes of a return. That usually means Rounds 1 through 3. After that, he better show something right away, play on special teams, and give a reason for one of the coaches to lobby on his behalf.
Patriots by draft round - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com
Patriots by draft round

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 22, 2009 01:25 PM

Of the many different ways to break down a team's roster, it isn't often to see it done by draft pick. With the NFL draft scheduled for this weekend, here is a look at how the Patriots break down based on how the player entered the league:

First round (12)
Joey Galloway, Logan Mankins, Laurence Maroney, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Meriweather, Randy Moss, Richard Seymour, Shawn Springs, Fred Taylor, Ty Warren, Benjamin Watson, Vince Wilfork

Second round (5)
Kevin Faulk, Al Johnson, Matt Light, Terrence Wheatley, Tank Williams

Third round (7)
Chris Baker, Tedy Bruschi, Shawn Crable, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur, Kevin O'Connell, David Thomas

Fourth round (5)
Sam Aiken, Stephen Gostkowski, Jarvis Green, James Sanders, Jonathan Wilhite

Fifth round (6)
Wesley Britt, Russ Hochstein, Dan Koppen, Sammy Morris, Ryan O'Callaghan, Matthew Slater

Sixth round (5)
Tom Brady, Mike Richardson, Le Kevin Smith, Adalius Thomas, Bo Ruud

Seventh round (3)
Titus Adams, Tully Banta-Cain, Angelo Craig

Undrafted players (23)
Eric Alexander, Leigh Bodden, Dan Connolly, Tyson DeVree, Damane Duckett, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Matt Gutierrez, Gary Guyton, Chris Hanson, Nathan Hodel, Mark LeVoir, Greg Lewis, Brad Listorti, Tom Malone, Stephen Neal, Vince Redd, Antwain Spann, Ray Ventrone, Wes Welker, Ryan Wendell, Pierre Woods, Mike Wright, Billy Yates
Hopefully NE is bucking this trend; out of 67 on the current offseason roster:
-- 37% Rd 1-3
-- 63% Rd 4-UDFA

Final 2008 53 man roster:
-- 43% Rd 1-3
-- 57% Rd 4-UDFA

Of the rookie year Belichick/Pioli first round picks (8):
-- 2 (Mankins, Mayo) 16 game starters.
-- 5 (Seymour, Graham, Warren, Wilfork, Watson, Maroney) platooned with veterans.
-- 1 (Meriweather) played primarily on Special Teams.

Of the rookie year Belichick/Pioli second round picks (8):
-- 2 (Light, Wilson) saw significant starts/playing time.
-- 1 (Branch) eventually matured into a starter.
-- 1 (Wheatley) gets an incomplete.
-- 4 (Klemm, Johnson, Hill, Jackson) never progressed for various reasons.

While we may brand the Klemms and Jacksons as failures, only the two WR were let go while on their rookie contracts (BB tried to re-sign Klemm who elected to go to Green Bay as a UFA, so failure is 'somewhat' relative there). BB gave them ample time to show progress. We can also see from the Cassels and Spanns and Ventrones and Alexanders that BB is willing to give lower round picks and UDFA kids an opportunity to develop.

With that perspective (and acknowledging 2009 draft binkies) I'd say this is a fine draft class for projects and the 'urgency' to find a 'starter' isn't there - with the exception of draftees who may be slotted as primary reserves (OL, S, ILB).

With that perspective (and acknowledging 2009 draft binkies) I'd say this is a fine draft class for projects and the 'urgency' to find a 'starter' isn't there - with the exception of draftees who may be slotted as primary reserves (OL, S, ILB).

The urgency may not exist, but the possibility of drafting potential starters at 23/34/47/58 remains strong -- based on the strength of this particular draft class in those slots. And as Borges recently wrote: Weekend in Foxboro draws envy - BostonHerald.com

Worthy analysis, Box, but you are missing something.

While we may brand the Klemms and Jacksons as failures, only the two WR were let go while on their rookie contracts (BB tried to re-sign Klemm who elected to go to Green Bay as a UFA, so failure is 'somewhat' relative there). BB gave them ample time to show progress. We can also see from the Cassels and Spanns and Ventrones and Alexanders that BB is willing to give lower round picks and UDFA kids an opportunity to develop.

That is absolutely true, but they have to show abundant effort to earn that opportunity. Remember that the Pats cut Jeremy Mincey because he didn't show enough effort in camp.

Agreed. I don't think there's any position where a first-round pick has even a 50-50 chance of starting on day one, no matter how good—but there's a lot of positions where more/better depth would be a good thing.

The urgency may not exist, but the possibility of drafting potential starters at 23/34/47/58 remains strong -- based on the strength of this particular draft class in those slots. And as Borges recently wrote: Weekend in Foxboro draws envy - BostonHerald.com
How does Borges article relate to this discussion, other than he burnishes his 'Captain Obvious' wings by noting NE's flexibility in this draft?

That is absolutely true, but they have to show abundant effort to earn that opportunity. Remember that the Pats cut Jeremy Mincey because he didn't show enough effort in camp.
I thought that would have burnished my Captain Obvious wings. :p

How does Borges article relate to this discussion, other than he burnishes his 'Captain Obvious' wings by noting NE's flexibility in this draft?

:confused2: -- perhaps to make your day?

But seriously, Borges (this Herald piece), alludes to the Pats abundance of early picks being the envy of the league, and you exhibited the roster breakdown proving that the roster doesn't need early picks to succeed. Two plus two from my calculation makes the NE Patriots scary -- rather than merely the envy on draft weekend. THAT, is how I tied the article to your topic.

NFL’s patience for draft or free-agent 'projects’ is dwindling | Dallas Cowboys | Star-Telegram.comPatriots by draft round - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.comHopefully NE is bucking this trend; out of 67 on the current offseason roster:
-- 37% Rd 1-3
-- 63% Rd 4-UDFA

-- 43% Rd 1-3
-- 57% Rd 4-UDFA

-- 5 (Seymour, Graham, Warren, Wilfork, Watson, Maroney) platooned with veterans.

One could easily make the arguement that Maroney, Wilfork, Seymour, Warren and Graham did start their rookie years...at positions where they substitute alot. What I have noticed is that BB spends his 1st round pick on the most glaring hole on the team, I simply cant see any of the OLBs put into that role. Further, he has minimum standards for starters(especially at LB)so I dont think any of our role players(Crable,Banta-Cain, Woods)will emerge into that role. The more I look at that hole the more I think that they must have a plan for a vet to come in(Taylor, Peppers). I can easily see alot of our draft picks leaving in trades, so I am not overly concerned about building depth with all these picks. The only positions I can see possible improvements are ILB(depth in lower round), SS(if there is one BB likes), WR(if crabtree fell to 12 we might call Josh), and OL where a lower round guy with flexibility might be found. I do expect LOTS of trading, and figure a vet or 2 will likely be filling these holes.

One could easily make the arguement that Maroney, Wilfork, Seymour, Warren and Graham did start their rookie years...at positions where they substitute alot. What I have noticed is that BB spends his 1st round pick on the most glaring hole on the team, I simply cant see any of the OLBs put into that role. Further, he has minimum standards for starters(especially at LB)so I dont think any of our role players(Crable,Banta-Cain, Woods)will emerge into that role. The more I look at that hole the more I think that they must have a plan for a vet to come in(Taylor, Peppers). I can easily see alot of our draft picks leaving in trades, so I am not overly concerned about building depth with all these picks. The only positions I can see possible improvements are ILB(depth in lower round), SS(if there is one BB likes), WR(if crabtree fell to 12 we might call Josh), and OL where a lower round guy with flexibility might be found. I do expect LOTS of trading, and figure a vet or 2 will likely be filling these holes.
Perhaps a want of imagination, I can easily imagine the camp competition for OLB amongst the youngsters and see Woods winning, while being pushed by Redd, Crable, and Craig. Taylor may be signed as insurance, but even if he isn't the kids will be more capable than your pessimism permits.

Last edited:
I wonder how much "money" affects these roster decisions???

If an expensive player grades out a a certain level and a cheaper player grades out at just below that grade, do you keep the higher grade, maybe much more expensive player??

The cheapies let us keep the DL and OL together for a long time?? Maybe other considerations other that player to player comparisons.

On a related note it will beinteresting to watch the Chiefs, will they be loaded with rookies this year??

NFL’s patience for draft or free-agent 'projects’ is dwindling | Dallas Cowboys | Star-Telegram.comPatriots by draft round - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.comHopefully NE is bucking this trend; out of 67 on the current offseason roster:
-- 37% Rd 1-3
-- 63% Rd 4-UDFA

-- 43% Rd 1-3
-- 57% Rd 4-UDFA

I wonder how much "money" affects these roster decisions???

If an expensive player grades out a a certain level and a cheaper player grades out at just below that grade, do you keep the higher grade, maybe much more expensive player??

The cheapies let us keep the DL and OL together for a long time?? Maybe other considerations other that player to player comparisons.

On a related note it will beinteresting to watch the Chiefs, will they be loaded with rookies this year??
Money is always a factor that must be weighed, I just couldn't begin to tell you how much of a factor.

Ah the good old days.

RIP BOR

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Dance GIF by IFC

He was one of the fun ones. He knew Bills defense well and what he was looking for. Called the Mayo pick.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back