PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PJ Williams DUI and other CBs thoughts

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So PJ Williams got busted in the early morning today for a DUI. Not his first incident either. A prior one involved CB Darby.

Read here if you want the story.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/04/nfl_draft_2015_florida_states.html

This is a guy I really thought the Patriots might take at 32 but that is not happening now. IDK how far this knocks him down as it is not a violent offense but it sure shows bad judgment and lack of maturity at a crucial time.

I would say he is probably out of the top 64 anyway.

A lot of otherwise talented CBs with issues.

Peters - Off field issues
PJ Williams - DUI
Darby - fled the scene of a traffic accident (as did Williams on that occasion)
Jalen Collins - injured
Olomu - probably IR'ed

ect..

This could be a good thing though. Though none of these are good news none of these players IMO have marks against them that make them undraftable. I think this will overall mean the Pats will get great value out of the CB position this draft and can do so in any of the first 3 rounds with players that talent level is higher than that pick selection.

I wouldn't touch Williams now, repeat offenders concern me. I can see him slipping down to a day three pick now (I still wouldn't touch him)..

I wouldn't touch Williams now, repeat offenders concern me. I can see him slipping down to a day three pick now (I still wouldn't touch him)..

Isn't he part of the NFL Substance Abuse Program now? Can't even drink alcohol or you can get suspended. Really hurts his value. Sounds like he has a problem. Hope he straightens it out. Some people can drink and be responsible. Others can't.

Isn't he part of the NFL Substance Abuse Program now? Can't even drink alcohol or you can get suspended. Really hurts his value. Sounds like he has a problem. Hope he straightens it out. Some people can drink and be responsible. Others can't.

Exactly.

In my mock, I had us trading #32 to Jacksonville for #36 and #139 and us taking Williams at #36.

May have to rethink that now.

I had Williams as a potential pick for the Patriots as well but I would think it would be after 64 given two significant driving incidents within the past 6 months. I realize these guys are in their early twenties but still have to seriously question the judgment of any player who is looking at a high draft position who does something this stupid.

In my mock, I had us trading #32 to Jacksonville for #36 and #139 and us taking Williams at #36.

May have to rethink that now.
While you think then Use Bears as trade partner instead of Jax, makes much more sense.

I know a lot of people that go or have gone to FSU and I've done some partying over there myself. Unfortunately, there's not much to do in Tally besides drink. So this doesn't surprise me in the least. Hopefully he seeks counseling, should he need it.

I would draft PJ Williams at #96 all day every day and twice on Sunday. If he drops that far, which is a possibility now.

Get the kid an iPhone, download the Uber app and I have myself a potential starting CB.

NO WAY he drops to 96. He is gone by the end of the second, maybe much earlier.

Except for QB, CB is the most prized commodity in the draft; flashy, fur-coat-wearing, prima-donna WRs are a dime a dozen, but quality CBs are extremely hard to find. Teams are desperate and are willing to take huge gambles, and two DUIs are not enough to scare them off. Punching a Cop before the Draft will cause a CB to drop (but still be drafted), but short of that, the off-field issues do not count for much.

NO WAY he drops to 96. He is gone by the end of the second, maybe much earlier.

I agree that people overestimate the effect the DUI will have on his draft status. He is definitely out of the first and maybe also the second. But he will be gone by #96.

If this DUI would have happened just a few days before the draft (i.e. like Dennard's situation) then the situation would be different. But here all teams that have him on their board have more than enough time to investigate the entire situation.

CBs are grossly undervalued in mock drafts. Teams are desperate for CB help. He is gone by 32 or shortly thereafter. Every year I see CBs go ahead of their project slots and this will be no exception.

The more CBs with off field issues, the likelier it is that the Pats fix their CB problem.

If PJ is available at 32, the Patriots face a dilemma. The safe choice is Cam Erving or (even safer) A.J. Cann, but CB is a much greater need. PJ or some other CB with a dubious background will not be available at end of the second.

My new binky is Quinten Rollins (Miami of Ohio). Four year basketball starter (3 time defensive player of the year) had one semester of eligibility left and decided to try football after being out of it since HS. Hat 7 interceptions and was named defensive player of the year.

"Four-year basketball player. Seamless transition to football field as a cornerback. Has point guard's foot quickness and hip fluidity. Plays with balance and above-average play strength. Well-built and competitive. Can be a disruptive press-corner. Has NFL-caliber "click-and-close" ability. Good leaper. Attacks the ball and receiver at high point. Good instincts and overlaps to make plays beyond his territory. Ruined hitches and bubble screens his way. Physical and has a strong desire to tackle. Wraps up receivers and throws his body at running backs in open space. Crowds receiver downfield, giving little breathing room. Has recovery quickness and natural anticipatory traits in coverage."

My new binky is Quinten Rollins (Miami of Ohio). Four year basketball starter (3 time defensive player of the year) had one semester of eligibility left and decided to try football after being out of it since HS. Hat 7 interceptions and was named defensive player of the year.

I don't know which games those reviewers are watching, but not this one. Here versus Michigan, he looked horrible:

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...=1566034537000994&fb_action_types=og.comments

CBs are grossly undervalued in mock drafts. Teams are desperate for CB help. He is gone by 32 or shortly thereafter. Every year I see CBs go ahead of their project slots and this will be no exception.
I agree 100%. We should see 3 or 4 corners off the board by 32, but I suspect Williams will drop to the late thirties

I would like to trade back to the early second, pick up a mid rounder and then maybe grab Williams with that first 2nd.

Forget about the obvious off field issues, why would anyone be interested in a CB prospect who led Division 1 in missed Tackles by a CB with 18 (according to PFF), is considered soft, and not a willing tackler. I doubt he's even on the board

Forget about the obvious off field issues, why would anyone be interested in a CB prospect who led Division 1 in missed Tackles by a CB with 18 (according to PFF), is considered soft, and not a willing tackler. I doubt he's even on the board

Are you talking about Rollins or PJ. I did not hear about the missed tackle for PJ; if so, that is not BB's type of guy.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back