PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Philly sports writers: Belichick was right. The Eagles were wrong. The Eric Rowe trade made no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
It helped the Pats but it is not like the Pats won that trade by a huge margin. BB traded Rowe for what looks like it will be a 3rd round pick. That is a pretty valuable pick and while it is better for the Pats to have Rowe now it is not like the Eagles didn't get something pretty good back.

They will get the 90-96 overall pick for Rowe. I just hope the Pats sign Rowe long term. I don't think he is amazing but i like him in the role of the big CB to cover bigger guys.

Rowe is a great piece to our puzzle because he's different than our other guys. It's not just about overall talent, but also how he complements the group and gives us another option to match up against different offenses. We can use him on specific match-ups. He can be utilized the way we deployed Brandon Browner, except he's younger, faster, more talented, and doesn't always get flagged.

If we used our 3rd round pick last year on Rowe instead of Grissom, would you have been happy? I know he wasn't around at that point, but if he was, you'd think it was a great pick. Yet a 2018 4th which only becomes a 3rd if he plays 50% of the snaps for us is a big deal? If it becomes a 3rd, it's because he played a meaningful role for us next year, as he didn't meet the 50% snaps this year.

And I think you're kind of overvaluing that 90th pick. Using Chase Stuart's draft value chart, that pick would be approximately 16 career AV in the first 5 years. As an example, Logan Ryan, who was drafted 83rd, had 13 career AV over the first 3 years and will undoubtedly pass it this year and tack onto it next. So it's not unreasonable to say the average player drafted at 90 would be a bit below Logan Ryan. Logan has turned into a decent player, but losing a guy worse than him is hardly anything to get too worked up over.

Not to derail the thread, but I'd still like to know what they saw in Richards to reach for him in the 2nd outside of his football acumen. The guy is not athletic enough to play safety though he has seemed capable on ST. Out of the 3 WTF 2nd round safety picks since 2012, only Harmon has really panned out.
Intelligence/character/leadership... probably also thought they could coach him up. Looks like a bust to this point.

he was a rookie on the team that was in the bottom 3 in defense and now he is the top scoring defense in the NFL he should look better

Rowe went half a round before we took Richards...

After seeing this, a light bulb went off in my head...

Maybe Rowe was NE's draft target all along? He was converted safety, played sparingly in college at his new position, not many plays to judge him on, but good combine numbers showed raw ability, probably expected to drop a bit... Doesn't this read exactly like a type of player NE looks for every draft? But then PHI screwed BB's pooch, and still in shock and anger, on TILT, BB chose that bum Richards. Haha

A pick is a lottery ticket. An actual player who fills an actual role is worth so much more than a sweepstakes ticket.

Agree...and that might explain why Belichick seems to do better finding gems via free agency and trades, rather than through the draft.

In any case, I just hope he finds whoever scouts offensive linemen for the Cowboys, and whoever's scouting wide recievers for the Steelers :D

Rowe was clinging to the 4th string CB position in Philly when Belichick traded for him. Seemed crazy at the time to everyone.

Agree...and that might explain why Belichick seems to do better finding gems via free agency and trades, rather than through the draft.

In any case, I just hope he finds whoever scouts offensive linemen for the Cowboys, and whoever's scouting wide recievers for the Steelers :D

Picking last every year, then having your 1st stolen doesn't help either. I do think that he's the best at acquiring players and managing the cap and the draft is only one part of that.

Was he a 3rd rounder??

You are correct, I was thinking 2nd for some reason

I'd argue to put Darius Butler on that list too, because he was a starting CB for 4 years with us and then went to the Colts for years as a starter there

There are a few former Pats players on playoff rosters....
Clay Harbor and Matt Mulligan for the Lions
Casillas and Vereen for the Giants
Joe Vellano on Falcons PS
Jonathon Cooper on Cowboys

When it rains...it pours....

And like they say in the infomercials...BUT WAIT....THERE'S MORE!

Former Eagles DB's who have STARTED on playoff teams in the last year:

RODGERS-CROMARTIE, CB, Giants
MAXWELL, CB, Dolphins
ROWE, CB, Pats
CHUNG, S, Pats
DEMPS, S, Texans
ALLEN, S, Raiders
COLEMAN, S, Panthers

Something's happening in that personnel room.
The guys bringing them in know what they're doing, it's the way they are using and coaching them that is messed up..................

Last edited:
After seeing this, a light bulb went off in my head...

Maybe Rowe was NE's draft target all along? He was converted safety, played sparingly in college at his new position, not many plays to judge him on, but good combine numbers showed raw ability, probably expected to drop a bit... Doesn't this read exactly like a type of player NE looks for every draft? But then PHI screwed BB's pooch, and still in shock and anger, on TILT, BB chose that bum Richards. Haha

You had me up until the part about BB on tilt. BB doesn't tilt.

The guys bringing them in know what they're doing, it's the way they are using and coaching them that is messed up..................
And on the other side of the ball, they got rid of DeSean Jackson, Shady McCoy and Maclin in the last few years... lots of offense thrown away. They gutted the core of a decent team......and Murray seems to recovered from his time in Philly reverting to his Cowboy level....

Trading with them is like taking candy from a baby........Anybody else worth stealing, I mean trading for......

Props to Josh Boyer and probably Butler. I suspect they helped to teach Rowe how to improve his man cover technique. That was the reason Philly traded him. They thought he couldn't cover man to man. He was the 5th or 6th corner so he was expendable.

It helped the Pats but it is not like the Pats won that trade by a huge margin. BB traded Rowe for what looks like it will be a 3rd round pick. That is a pretty valuable pick and while it is better for the Pats to have Rowe now it is not like the Eagles didn't get something pretty good back.

They will get the 90-96 overall pick for Rowe. I just hope the Pats sign Rowe long term. I don't think he is amazing but i like him in the role of the big CB to cover bigger guys.

Sure, but that's the 2018 3rd Rounder.

That's Value twice deferred, or, as you Earthlings would say: The Equivalent of a 2016 5th Rounder.

I graded Rowe as a Beast
~ 1st/2nd Round Border ~ and I stand by that.

Mad Bill got tremendous Value in that Trade.

Sure, but that's the 2018 3rd Rounder.

That's Value twice deferred, or, as you Earthlings would say: The Equivalent of a 2016 5th Rounder.

I graded Rowe as a Beast
~ 1st/2nd Round Border ~ and I stand by that.

Mad Bill got tremendous Value in that Trade.

I am not saying I don't like the deal. I am just saying it is not robbery.

Lets be honest about Rowe. He has been good within a role. He has had good and bad plays. He has been a vast improvement over Coleman/Jones but that should be expected.

I would say anything people could say about Ryan they could also say about Rowe but for some reason Rowe is forgiven when he gives up a catch where Ryan is not. He is a legit NFL starting CB which is worth a 3rd. I think it was a good deal for the Pats and i wouldn't have minded if they gave up more to get him. I am just saying he is not a top talent.

I also must say I disagree on his value. I look at him and i think 2nd/3rd round borderline talent. A first round or high 2nd round CB should be a #1 CB and he is not that. He is clearly in the #2/#3 range.

I am not saying I don't like the deal. I am just saying it is not robbery.

Lets be honest about Rowe. He has been good within a role. He has had good and bad plays. He has been a vast improvement over Coleman/Jones but that should be expected.

I would say anything people could say about Ryan they could also say about Rowe but for some reason Rowe is forgiven when he gives up a catch where Ryan is not. He is a legit NFL starting CB which is worth a 3rd. I think it was a good deal for the Pats and i wouldn't have minded if they gave up more to get him. I am just saying he is not a top talent.

I also must say I disagree on his value. I look at him and i think 2nd/3rd round borderline talent. A first round or high 2nd round CB should be a #1 CB and he is not that. He is clearly in the #2/#3 range.

Fair enough. We do disagree, and while I certainly acknowledge that Rowe might not grow into the Value that I attribute to'm, it's worth noting that while it's never too early to speculate about whether or not he will do so, CornerBacks, like WideOuts, often take a few Years to reach their Potential. Joshua Norman, for example, who I mocked to us in 2012!! :D, started his 3rd Year, 2014, on Carolina's Bench!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore