PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Philly sports writers: Belichick was right. The Eagles were wrong. The Eric Rowe trade made no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to derail the thread, but I'd still like to know what they saw in Richards to reach for him in the 2nd outside of his football acumen. The guy is not athletic enough to play safety though he has seemed capable on ST. Out of the 3 WTF 2nd round safety picks since 2012, only Harmon has really panned out.

It's happened enough times now that I'm beginning to think their philosophy is this: If there's no one in that round that they LOVE, they look at guys that they know can be quality special teamers, and hope that they hit every once in a while on a guy that can actually contribute defensively.

Tavon Wilson, Richards, Harmon (who worked), Cyrus Jones (who unfortunately so far hasn't lived up to the ST billing), etc, etc. All these guys have ST ability, and appear to be "reaches" in the draft. But it seems BB would rather take the "sure thing" ST guy than maximize the odds of a regular contributor.

Not saying good or bad, just my opinion on what their mindset might be.

Love when writers outside New England show Belichick the GM some love, and make their Execs looks dumb in the process! :D:D:D

Hayes: The whole Eric Rowe business still makes no sense

Eric Rowe trade weakened Eagles' secondary, strengthened Patriots

When it rains...it pours....

Porter: Howie Roseman's Eric Rowe Explanation Was Bad

Honestly, I hope he was lying.

Because if Howie Roseman is telling the truth about why the Eagles traded Eric Rowe, well, then they may be in much bigger trouble than we think.

And like they say in the infomercials...BUT WAIT....THERE'S MORE!

Former Eagles DB's who have STARTED on playoff teams in the last year:

RODGERS-CROMARTIE, CB, Giants
MAXWELL, CB, Dolphins
ROWE, CB, Pats
CHUNG, S, Pats
DEMPS, S, Texans
ALLEN, S, Raiders
COLEMAN, S, Panthers

Something's happening in that personnel room.

Last edited:
They will get the 90-96 overall pick for Rowe. I just hope the Pats sign Rowe long term. I don't think he is amazing but i like him in the role of the big CB to cover bigger guys.

One of the beauties of the Rowe trade is that he is signed (semi)long-term. He isn't a FA until 2019.

IMO, even an "ok" big CB is a rare and valuable commodity easily worth a late 3rd. Something I posted back when the trade happened:

Here's a list of all of the CBs drafted in the past decade who stand over 6 feet, weigh over 200 lbs, and still have elite quickness for coverage (shuttle < 4.10, cone < 6.90):

Patrick Peterson
Eric Rowe

That's it. Aqib Talib and Antonio Cromartie were the closest misses, with three of the four targets.

If I could do One Thing about the Patriots, I'd rescind BB's draft power for the 2nd round :)

Not me!

Matt Light
Eugene Wilson
Shane Vereen
Patrick Chung
Sebastian Vollmer
Rob Gronkowski
Jamie Collins
Brandon Spikes
Jimmy Garropalo
Joe Thuney

Lots of good 2nd round picks made by BB

It helped the Pats but it is not like the Pats won that trade by a huge margin. BB traded Rowe for what looks like it will be a 3rd round pick. That is a pretty valuable pick and while it is better for the Pats to have Rowe now it is not like the Eagles didn't get something pretty good back.

They will get the 90-96 overall pick for Rowe. I just hope the Pats sign Rowe long term. I don't think he is amazing but i like him in the role of the big CB to cover bigger guys.
I thought it was locked in at a fourth rounder. He didn't play 50 percent of the snaps.

If I could do One Thing about the Patriots, I'd rescind BB's draft power for the 2nd round :)
We just did this a week or two ago. So, no: Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Garrappolo, Matt Light, Deion Branch, Jamie Collins, Sebastian Vollmer, Pat Chung, Shane Vereen, Eugene Wilson, Brandon Spikes?

Money quote from the article criticizing the moron Roseman...

"Rowe was aided by a seasoned secondary that included safety Patrick Chung, who won a Super Bowl ring as a Patriots starter two seasons ago. That name should sound familiar to Eagles fans.
Roseman cut Chung in 2014."

Epic!!!!

This is how you know writers are stupid and have an agenda. The Pats let Chung go too. The only plus for Belichick is that he figured out how to utilize Chung properly on his 2nd try.

This is how you know writers are stupid and have an agenda. The Pats let Chung go too. The only plus for Belichick is that he figured out how to utilize Chung properly on his 2nd try.

Chung had an injured shoulder and couldn't cover. His shoulder healed and his coverage abilities amazingly improved, but he was a guy who couldn't hit or cover when we released him.

It helped the Pats but it is not like the Pats won that trade by a huge margin. BB traded Rowe for what looks like it will be a 3rd round pick. That is a pretty valuable pick and while it is better for the Pats to have Rowe now it is not like the Eagles didn't get something pretty good back.

A pick is a lottery ticket. An actual player who fills an actual role is worth so much more than a sweepstakes ticket.

Not me!

Matt Light
Eugene Wilson
Shane Vereen
Patrick Chung
Sebastian Vollmer
Rob Gronkowski
Jamie Collins
Brandon Spikes
Jimmy Garropalo
Joe Thuney

Lots of good 2nd round picks made by BB

That's a pretty good lineup. If Bennett is as gawdamn happy as he says, we should have an incredible TE position next year.

regardless of history, gronks current issue is minor, already working out, I believe. we knew rthere would be touch ups o the back. Current surgery is very minor.

Rowe went half a round before we took Richards. I'd like to think we packaged a 3rd to trade up for him. Malcolm Brown + Eric Rowe + Trey Flowers + Shaq Mason was a very solid draft for us. ;)

I think it's a steal to get a solid #2 on a rookie contract for only a 3rd round pick (assuming he plays half the snaps next year; right now it's still a 4th round pick I believe). He was one of my major binkies, and I'm glad to have him on board. No idea what Eagles were thinking.

This one, @Se7eN . I was just curious -- I'm always up for discussion.

Chung had an injured shoulder and couldn't cover. His shoulder healed and his coverage abilities amazingly improved, but he was a guy who couldn't hit or cover when we released him.

Do you remember that Ratbirds game on BSPN where Cyrus Jones got beat down the sideline? Butler blitz, so McCourty moved down to cover Butler's vacated position. Chung was the lone deep safety. Watching Perriman come down with that ball down the sideline was XLVI all over again with the Manningham catch.

Maybe his man to man coverage has improved since, he's been great with tight ends since his return, but BB and Chung talked about what worked and what didn't. Chung playing the deep safety alone does not work. I'll chalk that up to a bad call by Patricia but I do not want to see that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore