PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phillips disputes Belicheat-bashin' HBO report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say: a pox on both the son of a bum's and the media queen's houses.

I trust either of them only as far as I could throw either of them.

This won't die, just read an article on USA today comparing Wade to BB, started ok but then descended into a discussion of the "cheating" and how Bum (Wade's daddy) knows his son does not cheat and how disapointed Steve B. would be in his son. Time for the scribes to move on and find a new scandal..

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Peter King dropped a pretty big bomb on HBO's Inside the NFL last night, mentioning that Wade Phillips wonders how much Bill Belichick's cheating aided the Patriots' dynasty.

"You know, 5 and 0 New England against 5 and 0 Dallas. The league, the Patriots, everybody, they just want this Spygate thing to go away. But Wade Phillips this week told me something that I think a lot of coaches around the league and a lot of people around the league are still thinking and that is, 'Hey, New England was caught cheating and it is a black mark on their success.'
"There is no doubt in my mind that it is and more and more people around the league are starting to say, "Why did this thing just go away? Why didn't it get more traction?'"

Phillips, however, accused King of putting words in his mouth.

"I didn't say that at all," Phillips said during today's press conference. "I think they would have won no matter what. I have no idea that it even helped them. They were a great football team, well coached. I don't see any way they wouldn't have won what they did.

"I don't think that at all, and I don't know why Peter would say that. Maybe he thinks that."

UPDATE: An HBO spokesman said King stands by his report.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 4:38 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (13)

LMFAO!! :rofl: For some reason I find this extremely amusing.

I think Peter King is reaching for "greatness" the wrong way. Either you have something or you don't. Don't invent it. He looks like a fool now.

One thing Wade said that I think is a truth (as in objective truth): Nobody can say if the tapes even helped. How and who could even measure such a thing? It's one ass-pimple on a mountain of preparation that this team does.

So why blow an ass-pimple into a case of leprosy? Lots of reasons. In King's case I sense that he is desperate to make a mark as an "investigative reporter" that broke some huge story. He's onto a "gate" story, and won't let go even if it means making himself look like a fool.

He's a pretty good football guy. I don't understand the blood lust and the willingness to compromise one's work to twist things like that. If Wade didn't say such things, what did he expect Wade to do, just stand there and let the words represent him? It's almost frightening how desperate Peter King appears.

Let's face it, lots of head coaches in the past have done far worse things. It's ridiculous to even suggest that the NFL is the boy scouts. Move on, Peter, and try to enjoy the espionage that is part of the game.

And another thing: How could Peter King do this to Wade Phillips right before a game with the Patriots? Even as a Patriots fan I'm kind of disgusted with that thought. I wouldn't even do that to my worst enemy. Peter King just destroyed his objectivity and the trust any coaches might have in him. Who would talk openly to the guy now?

Peter King said, "...but the fact that Bill Belichick has never been left to explain the fact that the Patriots won three Super Bowls by a field goal each..."

Doesn't he realize that if video taping really provided an competitive advantage, they wouldn't have let the games get so close? Does he actually think the Pats played it that close on purpose to make it look good?

I wish these people would read that article by Green on ESPN.com that explains EXACTLY what the potential advantage could be...NONE! Green is the only person with NFL experience who has written an article on the videogate issue. everyone else just writes innuendo's and speculation and THAT is what Costas, King and Collinsworth should be angry about!

Think about it. Videogate has been the most innaccurately reported sports issue ever and no one seems to be upset over that. They just say "If the tapes weren't destroyed, then we'd report it accurately". But what they don't get is the media and the public are not CAPABLE of interprating the tapes & notes...unbelieveable!

email this this dale and holley and see if they can ask king this ? i highly doubt it.

I don't get why guys like King and Collinsworth are upset about this. Did the league not explain to everyone that they viewed the tapes in question and found that they did not give the Pats a competitive advantage at anytime? What more needs to be said?

It's not like anyone is being left out in the dark ..... league viewed tapes, found nothing of significance, end of story!

Did King and Collinsworth not get this memo? If they did get the same memo then why are they so peeved? Did they want the league to make the tapes public or something?

I always liked King. It's really hard to understand where he's coming from.

Prior to the Jets game when Cimini misquoted that article of his, he made some kind of comment to the effect of...."It's no wonder Belichick treats the media like Vermin".

You'd think that with an insight like that he'd understand why Belichick and the Patriots would prefer to handle the situation privately with the league and avoid empowering the media's desire to play judge, jury, and executioner.

King's behavior just doesn't make sense.

He's probably just got a grudge now b/c Belichick and the Patriots have completely shut him out. He's just another one of these media hacks who believe they're entitled to the inside scoop and since the Patriots are blocking his efforts, he's decided to make it personal. In other words, he's just like every one of the local hacks who ***** and moan b/c they can't get the juicy stories out of the team.

My other theory is that King is a very good networker and that he's befriended known Patriots haters from around the league or from within the media. His access to these Patriots haters have influenced him for the worse.
I guess he's just not wise enough to decipher between reality and the nonsense. It's disappointing actually. I was always happy for him after he started receiving increased airtime.

The disappointing part is that he hasn't strived to bring a fair and balanced angle to the subject. He's become another hack spouting nothing but speculation and assumption.

Where oh where did all the good sportswriters go???

Well written! Quite agree.

If every coach and team had a press policy like the Pats, the Kings of the world would be out of business. His career is predicated on people leaking tidbits to him, and it just doesn't happen around Foxboro.

King just doesn't get it. He can believe what he want's to believe. That's fine, he's entitled to that. I'm sure Phillips must of said something regarding Belichick that helped out his column. I just think it was offhanded and Phillips didn't think King would run with it. King has just ruined any trust for most of his upcoming interviews for a long time to come.

To be honest I think King is tired of unnamed sources and decided to take it a step further by actually using a coaches name this time. He's a putz.

I would say that King's appearance on WEEI today would be an interesting listen, but he is on Dale and Holley. After listening to them getting spanked by Chris Collinsworth and then talk tough after Collinsworth gets off the air, I have think Peter King will escape very unscathed from the interview.

At least they will be tougher on King than Tom Curran would be. If you listened to WEEI yesterday, you would have heard Curran tuck his tail between his legs and refuse say anything negative about King and defend him because King helped get him his job at NBC. I lost some respect for Curran yesterday.

The real truth has never even beeen brought up bu the media. They all have anti- Pats blinders. The truth is it is not illegal to tape defensive signals in a game. It just can't be done in certain areas of the field and used in the game. Look at the ruling in favour of the Dolphins to prove this. No one ever brings this up in the national media. Belicheck saw this happening and figured what is the difference if I tape from the field or use technology and tape from the stands. He saw none so he went by the letter of the ruling and taped but didn't use it in the game. Just as he said to everyone.

The simple fact is all NFL teams are taping defensive signals, but are doing it from legal places.

Saw two ex- NFL players the other day from the Raiders championship days. The laughed when asked and said everyone has been doing this for a long time. This is why the NFL wants to bury it. Because it is a stupid pointless rule.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, King is hands down the most overrrated writer in the country. Forget the spygate crap. Read his articles and see how he completely overreacts to everything. Last year after september he declared the Bears heads and shoulders above everyone else in the league and that they could be the best team in the NFL since the 85 Bears. With Rex Grossman at the controls, Peter? Puhleaze. The guy is a blowhard.

Definition of a sports reporter: A jock sniffing fanboy whose vocation allows them to mingle amongst athletes. Although portrayed as an unbiased window into the sports world, these "journalists" often are unable to separate their inner jealousies from impartial reporting. Their resentment towards their subject is too often reflected in their presentations. A modern sports reporter would be remiss if he did not include his morally superior stamp on his subject matter.

But then Bob Costas went on to say that he asked Goodell directly if any of the tapes that were handed over revealed that they had an impact on any of their past playoff victories, and he said that he did not see any evidence of that.
That is what needs to come out in force.

Oh boy, Michael Holley is already giving Peter King an out because the reporter who asked Wade Phillips the question about Peter King's comments questioned it as Phillips said there was a feeling among coaches that spygate will tarnish the Pats' success. But if you listen to Phillips' answer in the press conference, it seems pretty clear that Phillips is denying saying it is his feels, as well as, anyone else in the league.

To be honest I think King is tired of unnamed sources and decided to take it a step further by actually using a coaches name this time. He's a putz.

Okay, that's it. I am so sick of the irony of people here claiming that Peter King is being willfully ignorant, or worse as suggested here, by THEMSELVES being willfully ignorant. Peter King is basically THE biggest Patriots "Bill-Walsher" in the entire WORLD.

I think he's off-track and looks stupid and continues to be a whimpering little WUSS about all of this, but even I don't think he's descended to some level of journalistic malfeasance. I don't think he "has it out" for BB. I think he sincerely believes there's wrongdoing here, that something's fishy, and that it reflects badly on football and deserves to be brought to light.

He's a DIP$HIT for thinking this, and he's acting like a frantic old grandmother, but can we please all stop with the massive delusion that somehow Peter King has randomly turned Borges on us? 'Cause that's a complete JOKE, a total lie and makes YOU look as foolish as this Spygate thing does him.

I don't get why guys like King and Collinsworth are upset about this. Did the league not explain to everyone that they viewed the tapes in question and found that they did not give the Pats a competitive advantage at anytime? What more needs to be said?

It's not like anyone is being left out in the dark ..... league viewed tapes, found nothing of significance, end of story!

Did King and Collinsworth not get this memo? If they did get the same memo then why are they so peeved? Did they want the league to make the tapes public or something?

You Do know why. Its because a "scandal" like this gets the attn of so many readers and listeners who were alreasy convinced that a team could not achieve success the way the Pats have.

Its that simple really. Dont you recall how for several years they were annointing BB for a system which allowed "average players" excel? How shocked people were that a team decimated by injuries could still succeed in this way? There had to be an explanation, and for many un-named inferior coaches, the team first-one game at a time philosophy wasn't enough to explain it.

Besides, if all the coaches could do what BB has done with his team, imagine the change in attitude leading up to draft day regarding the marquee talented players that get so much hype and huuuuge contracts. Is it safe to say the Belichick way has turned the league on its head, and that people are generally in agreement that "cheating" is the easiest explanation for his teams success? I say yes!

Oh boy, Michael Holley is already giving Peter King an out because the reporter who asked Wade Phillips the question about Peter King's comments questioned it as Phillips said there was a feeling among coaches that spygate will tarnish the Pats' success. But if you listen to Phillips' answer in the press conference, it seems pretty clear that Phillips is denying saying it is his feels, as well as, anyone else in the league.

They apparently are going to be soft on him. They're already giving him all benifit of doubt and Holley even suggests that he may "have something" that he can't reveal yet until he gets everything lined up.

lol... who the h3ll are you?

I frequently disclose my real name, URLs, etc.

Interviewing has been part of what I do my whole post-academic working career, first as a stock analyst, then in similar lines of work. The subjects have always been tech industry managers. Thus they have a lot more on the line in protecting information, spinning information, and so on than athletes and coaches do.

There's a lot of commonality in interviewing, whether the subject is sports, business, politics, or almost anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News