PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phil Simms and Jim Nantz sucked last night.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that most people might not be aware of re Nance is that he's the founding member of the Tuckheads Club. After the Pats beat Oakland in the Snow Bowl he was the first to use the term Tuck Rule. He couldn't hide his butthurt and spent quite a bit of time whining immediately after the loss. For a moment I thought I was listening to Ben Dreith.

It's Nantz. Jim Nance was an African-American FB for the Pats and a Pats Hall of Famer (he died in 1992).

I may sound like an old fogey but I grew up with Curt Gowdy, Pat Summerall, Charlie Jones etc. They did express there views but it was football focus and didn't keep harping on the same issue over and over again.

I feel blessed to have witnessed those days first hand. It will never again be as good as it was then.

For those who were not aware, while the television viewers were "enjoying" Nantz and Simms, Dan Fouts was on the national radio broadcast.

The NFL* had the Pats completely surrounded by suck.

It's Nantz. Jim Nance was an African-American FB for the Pats and a Pats Hall of Famer (he died in 1992).

I know, but I prefer to spell it wrong. How about I use Nants instead?

Nantz said at a minimum 5 different times that on the fumble the ref said that Pitt had a clear recovery.
I re-watched..what happened was after the Tomlin threw the flag, the ref said that Pitt was challenging the fumble and that Pitt had a clear recovery.(like most refs say) Nantz totally took this wrong thinking the ref was declaring that Pitt did have a clear recovery..this was before the review took place.
Neither mentioned that Brady's forearm was down before the ball came out.

For those who were not aware, while the television viewers were "enjoying" Nance and Simms, Dan Fouts was on the national radio broadcast.

The NFL* had the Pats completely surrounded by suck.

There seems to be more suck to choose from than anything else.

(Nantz) ditched his wife of 30 years after playing office with a thritysomething who he decided to marry so hes having an issue.

Seriously? Bastid...

"Fredo, you are nothing to me now."

Nantz said at a minimum 5 different times that on the fumble the ref said that Pitt had a clear recovery.
I re-watched..what happened was after the Tomlin threw the flag, the ref said that Pitt was challenging the fumble and that Pitt had a clear recovery.(like most refs say) Nantz totally took this wrong thinking the ref was declaring that Pitt did have a clear recovery..this was before the review took place.
Neither mentioned that Brady's forearm was down before the ball came out.

He actually did correct himself on this but it wasn't until the middle of the 4th quarter where he just randomly brought it up. Kind of mentioned he was mistaken and misinterpreted the refs, repeated what the ref said then dropped it. Simms didnt acknowledge him saying it at all. Was almost like a producer told him he needed to correct himself and he just picked the most random time to do it just to get it over with.

I'm not saying Simms is great, but I do think a lot of the national broadcasters get **** on a little too much. Simms/Aikman/Buck may not be perfect, but it could be way, way worse. In sports like baseball, you start to see regional broadcasting teams, and some of them are just horrific. Every time I hear people complain about how bad say, Phil Simms is, I think about those regional teams and realize it's not all so bad. For example, Hawk Harrelson for the Chicago White Sox is absolutely horrible.

Also, anecdotally, every fan base is convinced that the national broadcasters hate their team. I've never heard someone say "Troy Aikman likes our team", every fan of every team always says Aikman has it out for them.

Also, anecdotally, every fan base is convinced that the national broadcasters hate their team. I've never heard someone say "Troy Aikman likes our team", every fan of every team always says Aikman has it out for them.

Lol this is so true. Was reading the Steelers gameday thread and at the same time people here were saying Simms was a Pats hater they were calling Nantz and Simms Patriot ass kissers. Every AFC team thinks that Simms and Nantz hates their team and for whatever reason most of them think their favorite team is the Patriots.

I'm not saying Simms is great, but I do think a lot of the national broadcasters get **** on a little too much. Simms/Aikman/Buck may not be perfect, but it could be way, way worse. In sports like baseball, you start to see regional broadcasting teams, and some of them are just horrific. Every time I hear people complain about how bad say, Phil Simms is, I think about those regional teams and realize it's not all so bad. For example, Hawk Harrelson for the Chicago White Sox is absolutely horrible.

But that's the difference between a regional broadcaster and a national broadcaster. The regional one is supposed to cater to that specific team's niche. That's why John Sterling only calls Yankees games now because that's what they like, over-the-top announcers. Nationally if you cannot add to the broadcast with a good tidbit or observation, then what good are you really?

And of course every fan base says an announcer hates their team, but that was not the point of the OP at all. The point was (and it was not only noticed by just Patriots fans) that Simms and Nantz should have stepped their game up in a broadcast of this magnitude.

It must have pained the Dallas Cowboys announcers Buck and Aikman that they fell flat on their face again.

My first reaction to thread title was "don't they suck all the time?"

They suck on Madden too

"At 36-17 with just over two minutes left, Phil was saying "This isn't over". "

I was wondering if this was just a desperate plea to the audience to not change the channel.

But that's the difference between a regional broadcaster and a national broadcaster. The regional one is supposed to cater to that specific team's niche. That's why John Sterling only calls Yankees games now because that's what they like, over-the-top announcers. Nationally if you cannot add to the broadcast with a good tidbit or observation, then what good are you really?
My point wasn't that regional broadcasters are biased. Obviously they are catering to a different audience and can get away with actively rooting for a particular team.

I'm saying that, bias aside, a lot of them simply aren't good broadcasters. The Mets, for example, have a superb broadcast team of Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez, and Ron Darling -- they are eloquent speakers, have great voices, and call a really good game. Hawk Harralson sounds like a decrepit old man; even if I was a White Sox fan I wouldn't like him, because he's more of a novelty than an actual complement to the game. The Mets guys are observational and insightful. Hawk sounds like a drunken uncle muttering whatever random thoughts comes into his head, it's like he's just winging it.

Being able to speak with a powerful, clear voice, having reasonable rhythm/cadence to the way they deliver their lines, etc are all underrated qualities. Simms may not be the best -- yes, he sometimes says dumb things -- but I think he's far from the worst. Joe Buck is another guy that gets **** on constantly, but I'll be damned if that guy doesn't have a phenomenal "Big Game" sound/voice.

My wish....We watch the broadcast but only hear BB on the sidelines as he orchestrates yet another masterpiece.

The sad part is both Fox and CBS have excellent pairs of announcers. Harlan and Gannon are a great pair (Harlan may be the best play by play man in the world at this point but that's a different argument) and I think Kevin Burkhardt and John Lynch are probably the best announcing pair in the game right now. But of course both networks have to stick with the old guys even when they're clearly losing it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back