On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog

Some notes of interest...

* Vince Wilfork got some looks at d-end while Gerard Warren lined up at nose. In Wilfork’s case, this is something we saw on occasion during the 2009 season.

* The play of the day, however, was made by sophomore inside linebacker Tyrone McKenzie. On one goal line series, with the offense already having trouble punching the ball in, the call was a handoff to Laurence Maroney, who ran toward the B-gap. McKenzie read the play and shot the gap, meeting Maroney head-on and displaying textbook tackling technique (head up, shoulders square, both arms wrapped around). The collision of pads created a loud crack that echoed across the field and into the overflowing bleachers of spectators, who roared in applause as McKenzie drove Maroney back and kept him out of the end zone. McKenzie’s helmet flew off in the process and he got up from the play sufficiently pumped up as he celebrated demonstrably with his defensive teammates.

* The defense again had the upper hand against the offense in the morning practice, as appeared to be the case yesterday. After the session on Friday, the entire offense was forced to take a lap around the practice fields, presumably for having failed to score during the red zone/goal line period.

Spikes and McKenzie look like they're going to be real good. This might lead to us playing some 4-3 with McKenzie at sam, Spikes at Mike and Mayo at Will. that or some 3-3-5 with the same lb positions.

"In one running rep Tyrone McKenzie did a nice job taking on a pulling Nick Kaczur, fighting off the block and then wrapping up the running back. McKenzie certainly looks the part and has the hard-nosed style of a run-first inside linebacker."

Im loving it! T-Mac is the real deal imo.

Spikes and McKenzie look like they're going to be real good. This might lead to us playing some 4-3 with McKenzie at sam, Spikes at Mike and Mayo at Will. that or some 3-3-5 with the same lb positions.

true, but it seems that the other two guys at ILB arnt doing bad themselves (guyton and the rookie)

It's interesting to hear how well McKenzie and Tate are looking. Obviously, its really early, but it makes that 2009 draft class something special. They gambled a bit by taking players with injuries...hopefully their patience pays off big!

When Tmac does that to morris or taylor, THAT would be impressive, I mean getting Maroney down is not that impressive.

When Tmac does that to morris or taylor, THAT would be impressive, I mean getting Maroney down is not that impressive.
the hit maybe so, but the reading and setting up of the tackle by putting himself in correct position are positives.

Is there any rb we can trade for that can make a impact?
Jonathan stewart can't be happy in carolina losing carries to the runningback we should of took over Maroney and who I was screaming for deangelo williams John Fox must of fell out of his chair laughing when he was still on the board.

The question has to be asked. Which B-gap was it? Left side (Light/Kaczur) or Right side (Neal/Vollmer).

As for taking down Maroney, as many people said last year, it's awfully hard for a RB (any RB) to gain yardage if the defense is in the backfield prior to him getting the ball.

Jonathan stewart can't be happy in carolina losing carries to the runningback we should of took over Maroney and who I was screaming for deangelo williams John Fox must of fell out of his chair laughing when he was still on the board.

You mean the same Deangelo Williams who was a disappointment his first two years prior to breaking out in 2008? The same year that the Panthers added Stewart to the roster? The same year they also drafted Jeff Otah and that Center Ryan Kalil took over?

It's amazing how people don't put things into perspective and act like are all that when it comes to picking players.

The question has to be asked. Which B-gap was it? Left side (Light/Kaczur) or Right side (Neal/Vollmer).

As for taking down Maroney, as many people said last year, it's awfully hard for a RB (any RB) to gain yardage if the defense is in the backfield prior to him getting the ball.

left side.

I didn't notice it but apparently Kaczur got hurt early in practice so it was likely Connely lined up there but I don't know for sure. Will definitely be looking to see him back out there this afternoon.

You mean the same Deangelo Williams who was a disappointment his first two years prior to breaking out in 2008? The same year that the Panthers added Stewart to the roster? The same year they also drafted Jeff Otah and that Center Ryan Kalil took over?

It's amazing how people don't put things into perspective and act like are all that when it comes to picking players.

What are you trying to say here? That Maroney is better than D-Williams??

I'm sorry dabruinz I've read alot of your posts and agreed with them. But Deangelo was the back I remember the majority on this board targeted.
He has way better field vision, follow his blockers very well, and is elusive.
I can't think of one pats fan that would of rather had Maroney before the draft or presently.

I would take a healthy Stewart over any back in the NFL....yeah...I know....man love. He is a BB back imo.

I would take a healthy Stewart over any back in the NFL....yeah...I know....man love. He is a BB back imo.

Haha, we should just refer to any really good player as a "BB kind of player". On that note, Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson are also very much BB backs.

Chris Johnson a BB player? Sure, if you mean Bill wants a player that thinks he's god and wants the rock 24/7 because he's worried about getting HIS rushing titile, than yeah he's a Belichick type of guy. C'mon now, that was a ridiculous comment

Now Adrian Peterson, THATS a guy BB would die for. Plays hard, shuts his mouth and does his job, all day baby ;]

To get on topic..Loving to hear that about T-Mac I'm really rooting for the guy

Is it even in the realm of possibility we could trade for a effective RB? This is a serious question i'm asking a Stewart a Jackson? hell go poor and pick up a Micheal Bush from the Raiders. Someone that runs with purpose and can accelerate thru a hole.

Except for how Maroney is better than Morris or Taylor. Hahaha, I knew it was a matter of minutes before someone used that to rip on Maroney. Some of you people are so predictable...

The whole point of that play, it sounds like, is that there isn't really anything that ANY rb can do in that situation. If McKenzie diagnoses the play perfectly then tackles with perfect form, thats's it. Play's over, end of story, doesn't matter who has the ball. All RBs get stopped for a loss with some frequency, and that's because of plays like this.

Last edited:
I agree our top 2 backs are Maroney and Faulk but there can be a upgrade there. What's frustrating is that Maroney is smart, strong, quick, I think maybe he overthinks instead of feeling where the opening is.
Problem is that is a top if not the top important skill in a nfl rb.

Is it even in the realm of possibility we could trade for a effective RB? This is a serious question i'm asking a Stewart a Jackson? hell go poor and pick up a Micheal Bush from the Raiders. Someone that runs with purpose and can accelerate thru a hole.

Please explain what you mean by effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe