PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFW note: O-Line shuffle at practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Commish has a time window for ruling on Kaczur's situation? Were we to lose him for 4 games or so, it wouldn't be good.

I'm a lot more worried about Neal and Light. We can make-do without Kaczur just fine I think. He is the weakest link on the [healthy 2007] line, probably. And between Britt, O'Cal [...though, where has he been all camp, haven't heard anything about him], or the new layers of depth - Welbourn and Ross (if he ever gets off PUP) - I feel like we can figure out something to fill in for Kaczur.

But if Light is out for any period of time, that's potential trouble.

Last edited:
I'm a lot more worried about Neal and Light. We can make-do without Kaczur just fine I think. He is the weakest link on the [healthy 2007] line, probably. And between Britt, O'Cal [...though, where has he been all camp, haven't heard anything about him], or the new layers of depth - Welbourn and Ross (if he ever gets off PUP) - I feel like we can figure out something to fill in for Kaczur.

But if Light is out for any period of time, that's potential trouble.

I think BB is just being very conservative w/Light. Oft-injured* Neal is another issue. But remember, folks were worried Wight would be a PUP and he's back. Few weeks to go. With BB you can never tell.

(*Note to the perpetually offended, this is not a hate Neal statement)

Last edited:
Britt was a college LT, and has more commonly played LT on the second team.
Kaczur has been the starting RT.
So the switch makes some sense.

Also, obviously the walk-through at least indicates that Matt Light is mobile. If he had a bad knee or ankle injury, he wouldn't be walking around. There has to be some hope there.

Yates was pretty bad against Baltimore. He has been around since the 2005 season -- this is his fourth year with the team. Recall that he was the league's highest-paid practice squad player, so the team obviously thought highly of him at one point. He should be a viable back-up guard by this point, and it doesn't seem to be working out. The Pats don't have much of a plan D at this point, if Neal is out, Hochstein is out, and Yates isn't cutting it. The Welbourn's of the world is what they will be stuck with.

Hopefully Light and Hochstein will be back soon.
It sounds like Neal may be out longer term.

Anyway, OL will be a bit of a priority next offseason.
Hopefully they have the depth to perform this season.

I think BB is just being very conservative w/Light. Oft-injured* Neal is another issue. But remember, folks were worried Wight would be a PUP and he's back. Few weeks to go. With BB you can never tell.

(*Note to the perpetually offended, this is not a hate Neal statement)

Let's hope its just cautiousness with Light. I agree about Neal, he is a separate issue and not sure he can be counted upon to be healthy. Which is a bummer given the line plays better with him in there.

Yates was pretty bad against Baltimore. He has been around since the 2005 season -- this is his fourth year with the team. Recall that he was the league's highest-paid practice squad player, so the team obviously thought highly of him at one point. He should be a viable back-up guard by this point, and it doesn't seem to be working out. The Pats don't have much of a plan D at this point, if Neal is out, Hochstein is out, and Yates isn't cutting it. The Welbourn's of the world is what they will be stuck with..

Agreed, Yates had a rough game against Baltimore. Rough enough that I'd be nervous about seeing Tom Brady take a snap with Yates lined up at guard.

Welbourn has experience starting and started every game last season. Without having seem him play much, I'd feel more comfortable with him in there than Yates, who sort of looked like he couldn't block a inanimate object the other nite.

#63 is Dan Connolly. He was signed to the practice squad last season.

I like this kid, I think he has a shot. He's looked good in camp and in game 1 as well. Need to see more but so far hasn't looked overmatched. Much improved. Connolly was a project coming out of a small school, Southeast Missouri State, where he played OT. It's tough learning two new positions, G and C, as well as getting used to the speed of the NFL vs the Ohio Valley conf. He has good size for a C/G, seems to be very aware and smart. He seems aggressive and gets downfield to make blocks, he seems to have good balance as well. It looks like he worked on his strength last yr, he seems stronger to move DL and is more explosive. He has a chance to develop into a good OL, reminds me of Andruzzi, who also went to a small school - Southern Connecticut State - and they're both very similar in size, with his effort and toughness. Played 4 games for Jax in 2005, he is a lot more explosive off the line now as a run blocker and he has better knee bend as well as positioning (both in run blocking and pass protection).

Agreed, Yates had a rough game against Baltimore. Rough enough that I'd be nervous about seeing Tom Brady take a snap with Yates lined up at guard.

Welbourn has experience starting and started every game last season. Without having seem him play much, I'd feel more comfortable with him in there than Yates, who sort of looked like he couldn't block a inanimate object the other nite.

Great point. I thought RG would be his spot when the Pats signed this guy. He was at RG in today's practice as Reiss pointed out: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/08/observations_fr_12.html

EXTRA POINTS: After working at right tackle in Monday night’s practice, John Welbourn was at right guard for the duration of today’s session

Dan Connolly caught a TD pass at training camp early on. If his versatility (G & C) is sufficient that he's not a detrimint when inserted into the lineup he has a shot at sticking. PS is questionable as he's a 3rd year FA.

Last edited:
Dan Connolly caught a TD pass at training camp early on. If his versatility (G & C) is sufficient that he's not a detrimint when inserted into the lineup he has a shot at sticking. PS is questionable as he's a 3rd year FA.

He has been active less than 9 games in his career so he is still eligible.

How about LeCharles Bentley, in my eyes he would be a good signing. Offer him a 2 yr deal for a little over $1 mil with game incentives?? Thoughts?? All predicated on if he is healthy of course.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/12/lions-offered-lecharles-a-deal/

Last edited:
He has been active less than 9 games in his career so he is still eligible.

How about LeCharles Bentley, in my eyes he would be a good signing. Offer him a 2 yr deal for a little over $1 mil with game incentives?? Thoughts?? All predicated on if he is healthy of course.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/12/lions-offered-lecharles-a-deal/

I'd go for Bentley. He was an excellent center at one point. If the Lions offered him a contract I think he is healthy enough to play.

Can anybody who's been following the whole preseason closely give me some reassurance on why our ol will be ok? Yes, we had 3 probowlers last year. Yes, mankins is one of the best guards in the nfl. Yes, koppen is a topflight c. As a unit, they were top 3 nfl last year-until the SB. They got manhandled by the giants. Brady's knee had something to do with that-the gmen knew after the first few pressures that tom couldnt move laterally-so they could sell out and bring the house. That takes some off the blame of the ol-but only some. fact is, the giants didnt blitz THAT much. their dl was beating our ol straight-up. So, you have to figure that getting our ol 1st string in healthy to camp-and then working their butts off to make sure the SB ol showing doesnt happen again is atop priority-maybe THE top priority for BB. So instead, we get light and neal gimpy. I cant help but be a little nervous. Doesnt sound like eithers injuries are serious-but will they be back in time to work on correcting mistakes and more importantly-being in top shape for the season? Remember when light came off illlness 2 years ago and wasnt in shape to start the season? If healthy, I have a world of confidence in these guys. But right now-I have visions of the unthinkable and unspeakable - lets just say brady is the single most indispensible player of any team in the nfl. can anybody give me some hope?

Can anybody who's been following the whole preseason closely give me some reassurance on why our ol will be ok?
Answer 1. Dante Scarnecchia

Answer 2. 3/5s of the old line are in camp working on getting better.

Answer 3. Light isn't far from returning (he said with crossed fingers in a prayerful voice). He was observing the walk through Monday morning and not in therapy, suggesting he'll be back before the season starts.

Answer 4. The reserves are getting a lot of work with the 1's, this is a pain now, but it means the overall depth will be that much better.

Answer 5. Dante Scarnecchia.

Answer 1. Dante Scarnecchia

Answer 2. 3/5s of the old line are in camp working on getting better.

Answer 3. Light isn't far from returning (he said with crossed fingers in a prayerful voice). He was observing the walk through Monday morning and not in therapy, suggesting he'll be back before the season starts.

Answer 4. The reserves are getting a lot of work with the 1's, this is a pain now, but it means the overall depth will be that much better.

Answer 5. Dante Scarnecchia.
There's really no reason to think they won't be fine given that once Light returns the OL will be intact other than Neal who generally misses about half the season anyway. As for the Giants, that's like asking why a team can't stop Brady to Moss - the Giants front 7 was REALLY good last year. There probably isn't one as good in the league now with Strahan retired.

I doubt Bentley is healthy enough to pass a physical. Otherwise I'd think he'd be signed by now.

If Detroit offered him a contract I would think he is healthy, but then again it's Matt Millen we are talking about.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=94328&id=1081

The Lions hosted free agent C/G LeCharles Bentley on Tuesday.

A "source close to the situation" says the visit was good, but Bentley was unwilling to sign the Lions' offer of one year at around $1 million. Bentley, like Daunte Culpepper, is holding out for more money in a plum situation.

It could also mean that Yates had trouble pass-blocking (yup, that sounds about right) so they want Kaczur at RT to help Yates because Kaczur's better than Britt. If Britt has trouble at LT, at least he has Mankins next to him. It could also mean Light is about to return, so they want Kaczur back at his normal spot. So many possibilities.

But you're saying they want Britt at RT, so they're moving him from RT to LT. See, that doesn't make sense to me.

After getting guys some experience for emergencies, they probably want to play fewer guys out of position. Light will be back. Neal may not be for a while. Kaczur isn't exactly an all world RT so it's likely time for him to practice at his own position. Particularly if the guy along side him when the season opens is a fill in.

okay,I'll take that as a "no".

I've watched the game over 3 times now and McMahon was horrible as was Yates and Martin struggled badly. With the exception of those three I thought the OL was not all that bad. McMahon is a definite 1st cut, Martin depending on the health of others is as well and Yates needs to pick up his game, overall he has been an ok back up G though in his career but he had a horrendous game the other night.

Last edited:
If Detroit offered him a contract I would think he is healthy, but then again it's Matt Millen we are talking about.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=94328&id=1081

Yeah read about the offer after my post ... PFT speculates that teams are only offering a 1-year contract to see if he's healthy but he wants longer. Wouldn't mind at all the Pats getting in the running for him if they think he is worth the risk. Might have to find some cap space to make it happen though ...

(Paging Tom "Re-structure" Brady :) )

Yeah read about the offer after my post ... PFT speculates that teams are only offering a 1-year contract to see if he's healthy but he wants longer. Wouldn't mind at all the Pats getting in the running for him if they think he is worth the risk. Might have to find some cap space to make it happen though ...

(Paging Tom "Re-structure" Brady :) )

According to Miguel we are about $7.4 mil under the cap at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back