PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Top 4 teams discuss trading down/Belichick's deferred Oakland trade makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PFT: Top 4 Teams discuss trading down/Belichick's deferred Oakland trade makes se

Now that we figure out the salary structure...

...is it possible to release a rookie before the end of their first season (while there is no cap) without penalty? I have heard people talk about the Raiders being able to release Jamarcus Russell and the Jets releasing Vernon Gholston, so if the Pats drafted a player that was a clear bust, could they merely release the baggage?

Obviously, this is a worst case situation.

Re: PFT: Top 4 Teams discuss trading down/Belichick's deferred Oakland trade makes se

I'd still rather have Oakland's 2010 first and a shot at Eric Berry. :(

Just FYI - Mike Reiss reported a few weeks ago, that the choice (in the Seymore trade) was for 2010 Oaklands 2nd rounder OR for their 2011 first rounder.

Naturally already having three 2nd rounders - it (to me anyway) was a no-brainer to take Oakands 2011 first. So Raiders 2010 first rounder was not an option according to what Reiss reported.

ya, it's funny how EVERY year it is a deep draft, until the Patriots trade for future picks.....and then news pops up that next year's draft will be even deeper

Re: PFT: Top 4 Teams discuss trading down/ Belichick's deferred Oakland trade makes s

Pretty interesting stuff, and there's so much there that an aggressive coach and owner could set their team up for several Super Bowls, if they play it right.
Ah, yes, the Daniel Snyder method of buying a superbowl. Works better in baseball and basketball, sports that are basically a series one-on-one events, than football. More than likely the big spenders will end up not with a high-powered team, but with a group of prima donnas and malcontents and implode from within.

"We are building a team, not collecting talented players."
- Scott Pioli

ya, it's funny how EVERY year it is a deep draft, until the Patriots trade for future picks.....and then news pops up that next year's draft will be even deeper

im not a big fan of tradeing out of the first round all together but tradeing away some picks for picks in next years draft. is not a bad move.

all a deep draft realy means is the pats will get at lest 1 starter and 4 or 5 guys that will make the team and be good back up's they are rookies and no one realy knows if they will be any good. and all 10 or 11 picks are not going to make the team so why use them all. trade some for next year.

Last edited:
Re: PFT: Top 4 Teams discuss trading down/ Belichick's deferred Oakland trade makes s

Structure the contract like so:

$19 million
$9.5 million
$6.5 million
$6.5 million

You get a top first round pick with no negative impact on the salary cap.

No, probably.

The owners are expected to keep the "entering player pool" even though there is no overall cap. So all rookies will have to fit within 10M or so of 2010 cap space even though there is no cap.

The FAQ released by the NFL last month said the league has the right under the CBA to continue the pool, but it hasn't been been definitively stated that it will continue. But there's no apparent reason the NFL would remove the restriction, it would just encourage top picks to hold out.

Re: PFT: Top 4 teams discuss trading down/Belichick's deferred Oakland trade makes se

Players are going to demand a ton of money, arguing that there is no salary cap.

For every team thats going to bust through the former cap, there are going to be 3 that bust through the former salary floor.

Re: PFT: Top 4 teams discuss trading down/Belichick's deferred Oakland trade makes se

For every team thats going to bust through the former cap, there are going to be 3 that bust through the former salary floor.

Not sure I agree 100%. I look at what the private sector does during a recession as a potential gauge.

1. Some companies add staff & increase payroll b/c they see a market opportunity to expand their business and increase revenues b/c their competition went out of business or could no longer be competitive. These organizations are also well-funded or have a decent-sized war chest.

2. Most companies stay in a holding pattern or trim some deadwood such at staff or under-performing lines of business but will keep the core talent.

3. Some companies nuke the place.

IMO you are seeing #2 right now and will see that continue. IMO the Pats will be #2.

Not sure if what the Raiders are doing is considered a #3 but dumping NA is pretty drastic. I'm not sure I totally buy the fact that they are keeping Seymour as the Raiders have finished last in net income the last year and the Lions the year before. Lions may be looking to unload big salary too.

Not sur

Last edited:

Ah, yes, the Daniel Snyder method of buying a superbowl. Works better in baseball and basketball, sports that are basically a series one-on-one events, than football. More than likely the big spenders will end up not with a high-powered team, but with a group of prima donnas and malcontents and implode from within.

"We are building a team, not collecting talented players."
- Scott Pioli

Uh-huh. Right. And if there's no salary cap in the future, the Patriots will spend as much as the Bills.

Clearly, it was obvious to everyone here that I'm talking about an uncapped year.

With Daniel Snyder, he'd be buying Pro Bowl teams and they'd be winning--if not for one thing. Do you know what that is?

Uh-huh. Right. And if there's no salary cap in the future, the Patriots will spend as much as the Bills.

Clearly, it was obvious to everyone here that I'm talking about an uncapped year.

With Daniel Snyder, he'd be buying Pro Bowl teams and they'd be winning--if not for one thing. Do you know what that is?

God's punishing him for his choice in glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes