PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Pats sign CB Fernando Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilfork? Graham? Seymour?

Wilfork was not drafted to be a starter immediately. In fact, he was behind Traylor. Neither was Graham (who was behind Fauria). Seymour earned the spot, beating out Anthony Pleasant, but wasn't expected to start immediately.

As I said, the Pats don't like to throw the players in there immediately. They want them to develop and fill in if the need arises.

Of course, the talent on the team now is much greater than it was when Seymour and Graham were drafted.

It wouldn't surprise me if they took a CB in the first two rounds (though not at #7). But I think they signed these guys, and Bryant especially, so they wouldn't have to if the relative value's not there.

Like you, I believe that the Pats are going to trade down. And it won't surprise me if they do and they take a CB like Cason or Talib. Or wait until the 2nd round to draft someone like a Flowers or Lee.

I still hold that the Patriots won't be drafting a defensive lineman because it would be a wasted pick. Particularely with Seymour, Warren, Wilfork and Green entrenched there. I also don't see the top 2 DTs fitting in at the NT position.

However, only time will tell.

Good signing. According to Scouts Inc a rating of 65 qualifies as a "solid starter". ( Hobbs is 68 ). The previous 3 DB signings (Webster etc,) all graded in 50's as "backups". I still think Harrison, J. Sanders, Meriweather, and Hobbs are the top 4 db's on the team and the only way to keep them all on the field is to move Meriweather to corner.

I still think Harrison, J. Sanders, Meriweather, and Hobbs are the top 4 db's on the team and the only way to keep them all on the field is to move Meriweather to corner.
No offense but to me that's like moving Sammy Morris to WR because we don't want to take him or Maroney off the field.

With this influx of CB depth, I hope we keep Meriweather at his strongest position, FS, and let Harrison/Sanders battle it out for playing time.

I think that people are going to be somewhat shocked when the Pats still look at a CB higher in the draft. Especially when you consider that Sanders, Webster, and Bryant are all here on 1 year deals. .

You're right, I will be SHOCKED if the Pats take a corner at #7. Not so much if they traded up/down to the low first round to get somone like Cason. Seems like they're doing at corner what they did last year at Wide Receiver. Sign a bunch of vets to one year deals and see who comes out and top and then probably extend that one or two. No doubt they need some younger corners, but there's lots of them in the draft this year. I think they have to take a big body at #7 if they pick there. Be it Gholston or the other Purdue LB I'm blanking on right now but Reiss mentioned or a D-lineman. BB has said over and over that these are the hardest players to find.

I would absolutely be flabbergasted if they took Dominic Rogers-Cromartie at #7. Personally I believe it's totally out of the question but what do I know...

I think that people are going to be somewhat shocked when the Pats still look at a CB higher in the draft. Especially when you consider that Sanders, Webster, and Bryant are all here on 1 year deals. I believe that they are creating a buffer so that the CB the Pats choose isn't thrown into the fire the way that Samuel and Wilson were in 2003.
There's no doubt that this doesn't take them out of the CB market. I think it gives them the option to not take a CB, though, if the value isn't there of if there's players at other positions they can't pass on.

Worst case, we replace Samuel, Gay and no-one with these three. CB wouldn't be a strength but it's workable. If the CB they like is there at the right spot in the draft - we'll take him.

With this influx of CB depth, I hope we keep Meriweather at his strongest position, FS, and let Harrison/Sanders battle it out for playing time.

LOL, are you KIDDING me? There is NO battle between Harrison and Sanders. If Harrison is healthy he is hands down the Patriots best DB. He makes a huge impact on this defense. I'm really bemused at the thought you think that Sanders is good enough to challenge Harrison for playing time. The only thing Sanders is good enough for is to provide backup minutes, he's not going to win the SS spot over Harrison. That won't happen until cows start flying...

Back to Fernando Bryant. This is a solid depth chart signing. I don't think he's going to be a #1 CB for the Pats though, so don't get too excited. You need a very high talent level to be a #1 CB in the NFL, plus Bryant is not yet familiar with the Pats defense. Samuel was brought up learning this defense and didn't start playing at a high level until several years later.

LOL, are you KIDDING me? There is NO battle between Harrison and Sanders. If Harrison is healthy he is hands down the Patriots best DB. He makes a huge impact on this defense. I'm really bemused at the thought you think that Sanders is good enough to challenge Harrison for playing time. The only thing Sanders is good enough for is to provide backup minutes, he's not going to win the SS spot over Harrison. That won't happen until cows start flying...
I don't disagree but a lot of people around here like Sanders more than I do. Personally I want Harrison and Meriweather as the starting Safeties and Sanders can replace whichever one gets hurt first (hopefully neither).

You're right, I will be SHOCKED if the Pats take a corner at #7. Not so much if they traded up/down to the low first round to get somone like Cason. Seems like they're doing at corner what they did last year at Wide Receiver. Sign a bunch of vets to one year deals and see who comes out and top and then probably extend that one or two. No doubt they need some younger corners, but there's lots of them in the draft this year. I think they have to take a big body at #7 if they pick there. Be it Gholston or the other Purdue LB I'm blanking on right now but Reiss mentioned or a D-lineman. BB has said over and over that these are the hardest players to find.

I would absolutely be flabbergasted if they took Dominic Rogers-Cromartie at #7. Personally I believe it's totally out of the question but what do I know...

First of all, I didn't say to take a CB with the #7 pick. I honestly believe that the Pats will trade down to the mid 1st round and take a CB there. Some people are talking like the Pats will not even look at a CB in the draft and that's just silliness.

I don't see the Pats taking a D-lineman because they have such depth there already. Warren, Wilfork and Seymour are all signed for at least 2 more years. They also have Mike Wright and Jarvis Green, though Wright will be a UFA next year and probably be moving on. In addition, they also have LeKevan Smith, who showed signs of being a good back-up at DE who could help spell Ty Warren.

I just don't see the Pats putting 18 million on the bench for 2 years until Seymour is gone and neither Ellis nor Dorsey is an adequate back-up for Wilfork.

Well you need to get used to the thought that the 35 year old's best days are behind him as anyone watching the Giants' last drive can attest. Harrison is also going into the last year of his contract. I think, especially with the arrival of Tank Williams, for this upcoming season Rodney is going to be more of a situational player than an every down player.

Re: Bryant Joins The Pats

Another JAG for training camp fodder.

No way is he JAG for TC fodder. He is a solid veteran player who had a nice bounceback performance last yr. A younger player that had a similar type yr would cost big $ but why pay that when you can get the same potential play/performance for much better value. This is how the Pioli and BB build their team, with solid, savvy football players. Maybe he doesn't have marque value but he will be a potentially valuable contributor, which is what you expect from a player when you acquire him - no FA signing is a sure bet no matter what the price. As noted by others, he does have familiarity w/Capers as well.

As posted yesterday in the thread about him visiting:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=79892

Bryant bounced back last year to have a solid season after missing lots of time the prior 3 yrs. and only playing in a possible 22 of 48 games. He is a smallish CB who relies on his super quickness, speed and instincts to be effective. He still moves pretty well but seems to have lost that suddeness he used to have when he entered the league. He is effective in zone coverage. He does gives too much of a cushion. He is inconsistent in man, and is not effective re-routing receivers. He puts his nose in there in run support but at his size is not physical enough. He is a confident player and is also very instictive, he anticipates throws to make plays but is not much of a play maker with only 7 career ints. It looked like he was waring down in 2004-2006 but his bounce back season last year shows he may have something left. He won't make many big plays but he also will not give up many either, so in the Patriots' defense I think he can be a solid contributor. His veteran presence will be a good addition especially if we feature a more agressive D as expected.

Last edited:

No way is he JAG for TC fodder. He is a solid veteran player who had a nice bounceback performance last yr. A younger player that had a similar type yr would cost big $ but why pay that when you can get the same potential play/performance for much better value. This is how the Pioli and BB build their team, with solid, savvy football players. Maybe he doesn't have marque value but he will be a potentially valuable contributor, which is what you expect from a player when you acquire him - no FA signing is a sure bet no matter what the price. As noted by others, he does have familiarity w/Capers as well.

As posted yesterday in the thread about him visiting:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=79892

Like hell he's not training camp fodder. He's on a 1 year "prove it" deal. If he makes it, great. If not, its no big loss. That is what I call TC fodder. Or a JAG.

First of all, I didn't say to take a CB with the #7 pick. I honestly believe that the Pats will trade down to the mid 1st round and take a CB there. Some people are talking like the Pats will not even look at a CB in the draft and that's just silliness.

I don't see the Pats taking a D-lineman because they have such depth there already. Warren, Wilfork and Seymour are all signed for at least 2 more years. They also have Mike Wright and Jarvis Green, though Wright will be a UFA next year and probably be moving on. In addition, they also have LeKevan Smith, who showed signs of being a good back-up at DE who could help spell Ty Warren.

I just don't see the Pats putting 18 million on the bench for 2 years until Seymour is gone and neither Ellis nor Dorsey is an adequate back-up for Wilfork.

Cool, I figured that was what you meant regarding #7. I think trading down would be ideal, I just wonder who they're gonna take if a good trade down deal does not present itself.

Of course I think an OLB is much much more likely than a D-lineman but with how many first round picks the Pats have spent on D-lineman and how important they are to the 3-4 scheme I think I'd almost be more suprised if they took a CB instead of a DL eventhough it's more of a need.

Like hell he's not training camp fodder. He's on a 1 year "prove it" deal. If he makes it, great. If not, its no big loss. That is what I call TC fodder. Or a JAG.

TC fodder IMO is more the guys that are brought in so there are enough bodies to have for practice and scrimmage. A 1 year proove it type deal is just that.

A good example of TC fodder id the 2nd long snapper we bring in not to over work Paxton. No chance of making the roster.

TC fodder IMO is more the guys that are brought in so there are enough bodies to have for practice and scrimmage. A 1 year proove it type deal is just that.

A good example of TC fodder id the 2nd long snapper we bring in not to over work Paxton. No chance of making the roster.

Bryant is, by no means, guaranteed a spot on the roster. He'll be having to earn it. To me, that is TC fodder. Guys who are vying for jobs.

Guys who aren't TC fodder are guys like Harrison, Bruschi, Sanders, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, etc. Guys who are established with this team who there is porbably only a 1% chance of them not making the roster.

Its just a matter of terminology. No biggie.

Bryant is, by no means, guaranteed a spot on the roster. He'll be having to earn it. To me, that is TC fodder. Guys who are vying for jobs.

Guys who aren't TC fodder are guys like Harrison, Bruschi, Sanders, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, etc. Guys who are established with this team who there is porbably only a 1% chance of them not making the roster.

Its just a matter of terminology. No biggie.

Funny how we differ here. I would say training camp fodder has like a 1% chance of making the team. I wouldn't really call someone fodder if they are legitimately competing for a spot.

I don't think Bryant is here to prove anything to the Pats. He should be able to start day 1 opposite Hobbs. Should have 2 draft picks plus Richardson in the mix as well. If Bryant sucks tailpipe, he gets replaced mid-season and is gone in 2009. If he does well, he will want significantly more money and is gone in 2009.

He is a veteran placeholder. Good for the Pats since they don't have to throw a rookie into the fire too soon. Good for Bryant since he can be a contributing starter on a SB contending team (ask ***ante how that is working out). Anyway, look for the starting CB in 2009 to be announced on April 26th.

Bryant, L. Sanders, and Webster will compete for two roster spots.

In addition, the Pats will probably draft two cornerbacks and prepare

them for 2009.

I think that people are going to be somewhat shocked when the Pats still look at a CB higher in the draft. Especially when you consider that Sanders, Webster, and Bryant are all here on 1 year deals. I believe that they are creating a buffer so that the CB the Pats choose isn't thrown into the fire the way that Samuel and Wilson were in 2003.

The Pats have shown they don't like doing that to their players. There has been only one exception and that is Mankins. I believe he was drafted to start immediately. I don't believe any of the other 1st round picks were drafted to start immediately.

I've never thought they would select a CB at 7th overall, but if they were to trade down, then I could still see a CB as an option. And, selecting a CB somewhere in the second round is probably among their main options.

In any case, I hope Antoine Cason finds his way onto the Patriots roster, and if he's not among their selectiong, then I'm hoping for Chevis Jackson with either that late second or early third.

It wouldn't surprise me if they took a CB in the first two rounds (though not at #7). But I think they signed these guys, and Bryant especially, so they wouldn't have to if the relative value's not there.

I'm with you. I have my little mantra: "the Pats do draft for need, it just looks like they don't because they go out of their way to enter the draft without (glaring) needs." IMO they are one decent veteran LB away from that goal.

This draft is packed with talent at CB, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats picked more than one. But they've now given themselves enough of a backfield that they can be very flexible in maneuvering through this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye