PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Matt Patricia to call plays on offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re arguing something I’m not arguing. When did I say he wasn’t practicing it? And the pic you showed shows Malcolm getting beat. The video clearly says he couldn’t stop it in practice. Bill told him what he needed to do. The video never says they ran it again after Bill spoke to him.

I'm pretty sure they ran the play after Bill talked to him, which is what my point is. It's not as if Malcolm got beat every time they ran that play in practice and then they threw him into the game when that moment came up. If you watch the video, Bill stated he made a coaching point so that there isn't much of a gap between Malcolm and the receiver. Also, Patrick Graham seemed to suggest that they ran that play until they got it right. I don't think Bill would be careless enough to run a play unless it worked. Remember when Vinatieri threw a TD pass against the Rams in 2004 on a fake FG? Bruschi himself said it that if Vinatieri didn't get the play right in practice Bill wasn't going to run it in the game.

Last edited:
Nobody's calling the plays. Interesting.

Haters: I hated Patricia’s “bend but don’t brake” defenses! So overrated!

The haters are then reminded of the successes of the defenses that Patricia coordinated.

Haters: That was all Bill! None of the credit should go to Fat Matt.

The haters then begin to seize, because they were forced to (gasp) praise Belichick, in an attempt to escape from their Patricia cold-take quicksand. After recovering, they hurry over to their Brady posters above their headboards, wipe off the dried jizz and then beg Tommy to forgive their traitorous words.

It isn't the ideal situation, but not the disaster that I think many make it out to be. I bet any good defensive coordinator with a decent amount of experience can call an offense and visa versa. Maybe not as well as a seasoned offensive coordinator, but a solid experienced defensive coordinators have been studying offenses for decades.

Plus, Belichick has always preached that his coaches need to have intimate knowledge of both sides of the ball. That is why with younger coaches, you frequently see them start on one side of the ball and eventually move to the other. I am sure that all those years Patricia was here, he was required to be intimate with the Patriots' offense.

Lastly, he was a head coach. Sure he was a bad head coach. But that doesn't change the fact he was active in the game planning and play calling of the offense during his time in Detriot.

Would I rather have Bill O'Brien or even possibly Adam Gase calling the plays? Sure, definitely in O'Brien's case and probably in Gase's. But unfortunately that ain't happening. I just don't think the offense was be nearly as negatively affected as some with Patricia making the calls. In fact, he may be a far better option than a young offensive assistant with only several years of coaching experience.

Huh? Unless they called plays at the college level or as an assistant HC, none of the most successful OCs had called a single play before they were put in charge of calling plays, perhaps other than a few opportunities during joint practices or preseason games. That should be self-evident.

How many plays had McDaniels called before 2005? Do you think Bill asked Weiss to step aside from time to time during the regular season, to allow the boy wonder to shoot his shot? Very unlikely. When Weiss moved on and McDaniels was made the play-caller (without the official title as OC), he had one year of coaching experience on the offensive side of ball, at any level (QBs coach the prior year). How extensive was McDaniels knowledge of their rushing attack, prior to 2005, relative to his experience with and involvement in the passing offense, as the QBs coach?

What amazes me is that some here are trying to argue that a single year as a quarterbacks coach prepared JMD to be the primary play-caller more than Patricia’s
1. Two years as a Patriots assistant OL coach (had to have extensive knowledge of all of the rushing AND passing formations/plays).
2. His years as a DC/de-facto DC (studying hours and hours of film of every offensive system in the league).
3. Two and a half years as head coach (like his mentor Bill, Matty P probably had extensive involvement in the weekly offensive positional meetings, including the meetings run by his OC Darrell Bevell, who utilized the blocking schemes that the 2022 Pats are supposedly implementing).

It MP is chosen as a play-caller, it is certainly possible that he will suck at it (just like every coach who is put in charge of calling plays for the first time), but he has more than enough knowledge of offensive playbooks and schemes. No matter how friendly Bill and Matt are outside of the Pats facilities, BB would never ask Patricia to do a job of which is not capable. That would run contrary to his number one rule…make every decision with best interest of the team in mind.

To say Patricia doesn't know much about the offense is bogus. The guy has been in the Patriots system other than the three years he was the Lions' head coach since 2003. He started on offensive side in his career with the Pats and was an offensive assistant at Syracuse. The guy has been here for nearly 20 years and knows little about the Patriots' offense? Do you really think Belichick would hand over the offensive play calling if he didn't know the offense. Arguably the greatest coach of all time going to hand over the offense to someone and just tell him to wing it?

It is obvious that Belichick has confidence in Patricia that he has intimate knowledge with the offense or he wouldn't be handing over the reigns of the offense to him.

I know Belichiick haters want to portray the guy as a mediocre head coach who just got lucky to have Brady and even a head coach like **** MacPherson would have had six rings if he had a QB like Brady. But that is just BS. Belichick knows what he is doing even if you or don't agree with it. Patricia may not end up being a good signal caller, but there is zero doubt he knows the offense intimately or he wouldn't even be given a chance.

And Belichick has plenty of job security. He would need several years of a losing record to be fired. And Belichick has a long history of doing things that other head coaches are afraid to do and being an innovator because of it.

I’ll have “Takes That Aged Poorly,” for $1,000, Ken.

1670022624794.gif

I.B.I.T.

Yeah right.

**** that sh!t.

Fire them, Jonathan... Fire them ALL.

Perhaps you should wait until
1. The actual person making the calls is named.
2. The preseason games actually start so we can see them play football.
3. The regular season gets underway so we can see how they actually do
4. The season finishes and we can judge how well they did.

Or you can run around like chickens with your heads cutoff.

Are we allowed to now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back