PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Josh McDaniels a HC Candidate for 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Cassel really any better than Kyle Orton at this point?

At this point probably not, but at that point he was a better option because he had 4 years in the offense. Timing wasn't right though because Josh didn't have a clear path to flipping Culter out of the gate. Took a little time for the hard feelings alone to somewhat justify a move that was going to be a tough PR sell but ultimately had to be made. Josh just never hit on the right replacement and I think that underscored for me he didn't quite get how much of his own success was the result of one guy...named Brady. I still question his personnel judgement and whether he actually realizes what he needs to succeed here. Of course from time to time I question whether Bill fully realizes that as well.

There will be a lot of jobs open up and McDaniels' name is going to be mentioned along with the other "usual suspects". However I will guarantee that he's going no where for the following reasons (some of which have already been mentioned)

Don't forget one of the most egregious sins that Mangini committed was that when BB gave him the DC job, Eric promised him that he'd stay a couple of years.....so not only did he take the Jet job against BB's wishes, try to steal patriot personnel and information, he broke his word to stay until his replacement could be developed. I have always thought that THAT was the one who really pissed Bill off the most.

First and foremost, when BB rehired McDaniels he did it with the condition that he stay for at least a few years. BB is all about continuity. He had BOB set to be next in line when McDaniel left last time. There is no BOB in line now, so BB would have made sure that Josh stay around for a while.

Secondly the concept of stability for his family. They where happy in NE and where here for a while. The last 3 years have be tough for them. First the animosity they had to deal with in Denver, and then the move to St Louis. Now he's back "home". I don't think he wants to move his family again so soon.

Third - for every reason that makes the Cleveland job makes sense, (he from Ohio, he knows Lombardi, etc) there are 2 equally compelling reasons that make Josh toxic in Cleveland.

BTW- The current HC is making a compelling case for another year at least.

No folks, Josh isn't going anywhere....though that won't stop the rumors

With all that has transpired this season I wouldn't be surprised if BOB isn't atop the eventual theoretical replacement list. And even encouraged to take that job (and he was) as something of a proving ground by fire on many levels around which a HC decision should be made.

I'm not sure that Mangini was promoted with any kind of understanding. He'd been in waiting since 2003. In fact Bill on some level feared he'd lose both Mangini and to a lesser extent Josh because their advancement was being blocked here by guys just waiting on a call.

Why do people want McDaniels as a successor ; the guy has no leadership skills at all and will probably never command player respect . He is a Bill wannabe .McDaniels like Norv and Wade is best suited as a coordinator there is no shame in that.

i think josh will wait it out some more years b4 he decides to give it another shot

but in cleveland with an up and coming team, and a rookie QB, and say Vince does go there? it would be a very good opportunity

Are you confusing your Lombardi's? Too many layers already exist between the new owner and any GM or HC. The model Bill stresses to his protoges is the one voice and it's yours, total control of/final say on football ops and decisions. Otherwise you are always at someone else's mercy. The more layers that exist between the HC and his owner the less job security he has.

It's about time the Pats finally lost an assistant so they can feel like all of the other teams do.

</SARCASM>

I know they say you don't get picky when you are offered an NFL HC gig but if I were a very young and successful OC, I would pick my time. This means I would not go to any team that does not have a good starting QB or a low enough draft pick to get one.

The NFL comes down to one thing... how good is your QB? Everything else only comes after that.

OK, so now it's Lombardi and Saban...

Sounds like all the speculation is really about Lombardi, who has been making it known he's available for any vacancy for a while now with no takers. So the speculation keeps putting him in packages it feels make him more paletable...that really don't. I have a feeling it's his representation floating all these rumors...

Saban slides onto the NFL coaching radar, again | ProFootballTalk

Who knows?

If his successor is chosen by BB and plucked by him off of his "Coaching Tree," Belichick knows that he will be judged by the success of that guy. So, if he picks McDaniels, a guy with pretty good football judgment will have made the selection and I would have to accept it.

Otherwise, I'd like to see someone who already has proven that he can be a success as an NFL HC.

Who knows?

If his successor is chosen by BB and plucked by him off of his "Coaching Tree," Belichick knows that he will be judged by the success of that guy. So, if he picks McDaniels, a guy with pretty good football judgment will have made the selection and I would have to accept it.

Otherwise, I'd like to see someone who already has proven that he can be a success as an NFL HC.

Why, Bill hadn't when Kraft tapped him. I think the organizational plan has always been to promote from within. Providing the team with the continuity that precludes overhaul for someone who runs a different scheme or brings in outside coordinators and their schemes because they don't have the whole package in place to run.

If your a player being yelled at by this guy as your HC, would you take him seriously?

Are you referring to the man who coordinated the two best offensive seasons in the history of the league?

Wasn't it Josh's idea to draft Tebow in Denver? Maybe he could become the HC of the NYJ. They certainly don't list "good talent evaluation skillls" under the desired characteristics of that job. Josh was way over his head in Denver and there was no sign that John Elway would give a decent recommendation.

John Fox took roughly the same team to the playoffs last year, and did a very professional job with the transition from Tebow to Manning. Josh has none of those skills at the head coach level.

If BB were to hang them up, I think Bill O'Brien would be at the top of Bob or Jonathan Kraft's list. He knows the Patriots organization and did an admirable job under the worst of circumstances with Penn State.

The other guy is Nick Saban, of course. He knows how to win, has worked in a pro coaching environment and won't have much left to prove at the BCS level by the time Belichick calls it a day

If I have learned anything as a long time Pats fan, it takes more than HC prowess. The truly successful ones like Belichick, Landry, Shula and Brown, are those who can be the total football executive. He cooordinates and delegates not only the Coaching, carefully choosing compatible assistants; but the administrative aspects of the game, together with the scouting aspects both college and pro scouting to make sure that All portions of the entire operation are competently manned, and are working in harmony with his vision of a successful organization.

Nick Saban remains my choice, if necessary.

Wasn't it Josh's idea to draft Tebow in Denver? Maybe he could become the HC of the NYJ. They certainly don't list "good talent evaluation skillls" under the desired characteristics of that job. Josh was way over his head in Denver and there was no sign that John Elway would give a decent recommendation.

John Fox took roughly the same team to the playoffs last year, and did a very professional job with the transition from Tebow to Manning. Josh has none of those skills at the head coach level.

If BB were to hang them up, I think Bill O'Brien would be at the top of Bob or Jonathan Kraft's list. He knows the Patriots organization and did an admirable job under the worst of circumstances with Penn State.

The other guy is Nick Saban, of course. He knows how to win, has worked in a pro coaching environment and won't have much left to prove at the BCS level by the time Belichick calls it a day

1.) McDaniels didn't even get 2 full years to learn the job

2.) McDaniels second draft was actually an excellent draft

3.) The Tebow stuff has gotten beyond ridiculous. The guy went 7-4 and took a terrible team to the second round of the playoffs in his first season as a starter, and that wasn't even a team that was built around his strengths and weaknesses. He might never be able to duplicate that but, as Griffin is showing in D.C. and Wilson is showing in Seattle, good things can happen in the NFL when you tailor your offenses to your QBs.

Why don't these bums go sniff around the Giants' coaching staff? It would be nice if the pats could keep their coaching staff together for a little while. None of these bums even called McDaniels after the Broncos fired him.

If I have learned anything as a long time Pats fan, it takes more than HC prowess. The truly successful ones like Belichick, Landry, Shula and Brown, are those who can be the total football executive. He cooordinates and delegates not only the Coaching, carefully choosing compatible assistants; but the administrative aspects of the game, together with the scouting aspects both college and pro scouting to make sure that All portions of the entire operation are competently manned, and are working in harmony with his vision of a successful organization.

Nick Saban remains my choice, if necessary.

An impatient, egotistical, abarasive guy who points fingers at his own and bails at the first sign of failure...yeah, that's gonna be Kraft's choice...not.

Very good coordinator but I wouldn't want him coaching my team. Like a previous poster noted, he is going to have a tough time with the veterans because of his age. I am also not convinced he should be BB successor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back