PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Combine rumor: Bruschi will retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they are stiffing so hard around Zach Thomas and the Derek Smiths of the world leads me to believe that they don't expect 55 or 54 back this year.

54 = Patriots, sad if true.

The Pats would be a fool not to offer him an Assistants LB coaching job...

The fact that they are stiffing so hard around Zach Thomas and the Derek Smiths of the world leads me to believe that they don't expect 55 or 54 back this year.

54 = Patriots, sad if true.

The fact that they are sniffing there would actually lead me to believe they expect one of them back. Otherwise you aren't looking at situational replacements. The only team that offered Zack a clear shot at starting was NO. We didn't top a situational incentivized offer.

dhamz said:
In the be careful what you wish for category, the last time Tedy told the team he was retired and they addressed the ILB spot, I recall it didn't work out so well.

How quickly they forget...the horror that was the Brown and Beisel experiment.

mgteich said:
Bruschi is likely gone. Colvin is back. It seems that we are stronger for the upgrade, not weaker.

That's just insane, even for you. :violent:

The Pats would be a fool not to offer him an Assistants LB coaching job...

He'd be insulted by the salary - around a million and a half LESS than he made last season for twice the hours. Very often players who love playing the game the most hate standing around watching others get to. At least until they transition to life after a players career. Tedy retired can make as much in endorsements and appearance fees as a coaching assistant working a couple of hours a week.

Bruschi is likely gone. Colvin is back. It seems that we are stronger for the upgrade, not weaker.

That's just insane, even for you. :violent:
He must mean the starting lineup from the Super Bowl. Clearly Colvin is a better starter now than Bruschi. If nothing else changes other than Bruschi retiring and Colvin returning then we are stronger than what we ended the SB with, though less deep.

He'd be insulted by the salary - around a million and a half LESS than he made last season for twice the hours. Very often players who love playing the game the most hate standing around watching others get to. At least until they transition to life after a players career. Tedy retired can make as much in endorsements and appearance fees as a coaching assistant working a couple of hours a week.
That is so so true..many football players have to get away from it totally before they can come back..but that is just the mental adjustment..the money is another thing..coaching just is the opposite..longer hours much less pay..I do think he would be hired in SOME capacity..

He must mean the starting lineup from the Super Bowl. Clearly Colvin is a better starter now than Bruschi. If nothing else changes other than Bruschi retiring and Colvin returning then we are stronger than what we ended the SB with, though less deep.

Even that is nonsense because there is nobody competnt to play along side AD absent Seau AND Bruschi - ergo Eli could just run it over us as opposed to completing fire drill circus catch passes. We shut down the run - it was the pass rush and secondary that didn't hold up their end of the deal defensively. And that secondary is now a little lighter on starters too.

That is so so true..many football players have to get away from it totally before they can come back..but that is just the mental adjustment..the money is another thing..coaching just is the opposite..longer hours much less pay..I do think he would be hired in SOME capacity..

Much like Bingo, there will always be a place for Tedy in the organization. Just doubt it would be in football ops at this juncture.

Even that is nonsense because there is nobody competnt to play along side AD absent Seau AND Bruschi - ergo Eli could just run it over us as opposed to completing fire drill circus catch passes. We shut down the run - it was the pass rush and secondary that didn't hold up their end of the deal defensively. And that secondary is now a little lighter on starters too.
I agree with mg if Seau returns. If he doesn't it's still close for me because Bruschi has become a JAG whereas Colvin is clearly a difference maker.

I agree with mg if Seau returns. If he doesn't it's still close for me because Bruschi has become a JAG whereas Colvin is clearly a difference maker.

By no means is burschi a JAG.......his skills may have been a little less than he was used to but JAG. That is ridiculous he is far from just an average guy.

If he retires, he had a solid carrer.. And I was greatful to see him play.. He is not a pro football hall of famer, but will always be a Patriot hall of famer

I do would like to see him 1 more yr, to try to get 1 more ring...

Last edited:
It can only make the defense better. He does nothing anymore that warrants keeping him around. He use to make big plays, now he just piles on to get credited with tackles he doesn't make.

The Dog I am assuming your a troll no true fan of the Patriots could say anything negative like that about a guy that came back from a stroke to lead this defense and team.
He gives a spark to anybody around he is truly one of the good guys of the NFL and you saying anything negative about his determination or his energy or the heart he plays this game with is sick!
It's gonna be a long time until we find anyone close with the heart of a teddy bruschi, truthfully, i'd like to see us move to mainly a 4-3 cause look at the experience you lose with this guy out, and if seau retires forget about it.
BB will have to go out the box and do something to change this defense cause he's not gonna trust many linebackers to be subliminal enough to run his defense.
Maybe he knows that and maybe that's why they brought in Capers, to give some insight on some things that BB respects him more.
BB went outside the box with this offense last year i'm expecting to see the same thing on defense.
No I don't want to give up the seventh overall for Lito unless with that Eagles first comes at least a fourth cause we have some reloading to do on D if BRUU hangs them up.
It saddens me it be after that game though, but the body does not lie.

It can only make the defense better. He does nothing anymore that warrants keeping him around. He use to make big plays, now he just piles on to get credited with tackles he doesn't make.

Just cause he jumps on a pile doesn't mean he gets credit for a tackle.

The coaching staff reviews it and they came up with his number of 99 tackles. they have nothing to gain by giving Bruschi credit for tackles that were not his.

Seau coming back would be huge.

Also extending Colvin would huge.

If both Seau coming back and a Colvin extension were announced next week, we are talking about critically needed depth for 2008 and a starter for 2009.

And that presumes that Woods, Alexander and Lua are backups at best. Consider how we would feel if the teams signed a 4 year deal with Woods indicating that he now is good enough to step up? I don't think that this will happen, but perhaps we here are giving up too soon. We accused the team of giving up too soon on Justin Rogers and perhaps even on Mays. The team has chosen to keep Woods and Alexander. Perhaps one of them or even Lua has a future.

We didn't get Zach. Consider how we would feel if another veteran ILB is signed to play beside Seau.

Last edited:
The man has heart no question. He also made a courageous comeback from the stroke. I just feel that he isn't an asset any longer. Losing him hurts in the leadership realm, but not on the field per se.

I'm not really suprised. Pats is looking for players who can be put in Bruschi and Asatemu position. If Pats can't find somebody who can replace Bruschi, Bruschi will be asked to stay with Pats for 1 more year and i think that he will agree.

If Pats doesn't reach an agreement with Moss on the first week of March, Pats will find another WR.

We will see some new players in our D and it's important to have a guy like Capers in the team while BB can focus on other things.

Last edited:
The man has heart no question. He also made a courageous comeback from the stroke. I just feel that he isn't an asset any longer. Losing him hurts in the leadership realm, but not on the field per se.

I do not think you are qualified to make that asessment......no offense intended.

None taken. You have your opinion I have mine. that is what these boards are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back