PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hmmmm. Derrick Brooks. Think Belichick could get some use out of him??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooks has never played under BB's system, so i kind of doubt he is the guy.

In other news.....

Is this the team that makes the run at Cassel??

The National Football Post has learned that these moves create an additional 14M in Salary Cap room available for the Buccaneers, meaning the team will now be close to 60M below the NFL Salary Cap, an unprecedented amount never before seen in the history of the Cap.

See if Brooks can still play. Who knows, maybe we can squeeze out a year or two from him like we did with Seau. At best, he is a guy that can play in third down situations as a pass defender. He's always played well in that area, probably has seen every TE/RB/WR route in the middle of the field known to man, and is a savy vet who can make up for lost speed with intelligence. Also, the guy has been a playmaker for a long time, if he has some gas left in the tank, why not?

Brooks is great, as a player and a person, but he doesn't fit our system at all. I wish he did, because he's still talented and he's an easy guy to root for. Personally, I think that it was a bad move for the Bucs to cut him, youth movement or otherwise. It's not like they're tight on cap space, and he's known for being a highly intelligent player, a hard worker, and a leader on the field- exactly the kind of guy that you want your young players to learn from.

It's pretty clear that Dunn, Galloway, and Brooks all got cut because of age. Cato June, though? I guess they just didn't think that he's that good, which is hardly surprising. When's the last time that a defensive player left the Colts and performed well somewhere else?

Brooks has never played under BB's system, so i kind of doubt he is the guy.

In other news.....

Is this the team that makes the run at Cassel??

The National Football Post has learned that these moves create an additional 14M in Salary Cap room available for the Buccaneers, meaning the team will now be close to 60M below the NFL Salary Cap, an unprecedented amount never before seen in the history of the Cap.

That is a pretty funny point, and I would rule it out, but they were $46M under the cap before the cuts, so I doubt that this was explicitly to free up cash for Cassel. They've got more than enough to grab him either way.

That is a pretty funny point, and I would rule it out, but they were $46M under the cap before the cuts, so I doubt that this was explicitly to free up cash for Cassel. They've got more than enough to grab him either way.

They could pay him for the first four years in bonus money. That's madness.

Patriots Extreme Makeover:

Joey Galloway
Fred Taylor
Derrick Brooks
Jason Taylor

Hell, pull off that foursome, and find a safety/corner, and you can mail in 14 wins this season.

Not enough Taylors...

Looks like they're freeing up room for a big free agency haul. Haynesworth, maybe?

That was my first instinct. They already had a ton of cap room then just made a ton of big cuts right before FA starts. I'd say for sure they are making a push for Haynesworth, and, of course, I've always thought they were a great destination for Cassel.

But look for them to pursue Haynesworth and one of Ray Lewis or Bart Scott hard.

Tampa Bay is now $60 - $70 million under the cap, depending on who's numbers you believe. So what is their plan is now?
  • multiple big $ free agents/trades (e.g., Haynesworth, Suggs, Scott - and yes, Cassel)
  • re-sign these released players to smaller contracts
  • new regime; look to build for 2010 and throw away the 2009 season
  • profits over winning; a return to the pre-salary cap, creamsicle uniform days for Tampa Bay; with more of the same in the uncapped 2010 season that has no minimum spending floor

How about Donnie Edwards instead?

Brooks is the same age as Bruschi (35) but smaller, at 6-0 and 235 lbs. I think he's a better fit for a 4-3 defense. Brooks is also coming off his lowest production season and looks like he's lost a step. The Pats are better of drafting a young impact linebacker.

Last edited:
Came across this from an administrator of Tampa Bay's biggest Bucs magazine and one of the two major fan message boards:

Inside Analysis Of Why The Bucs Made These Moves

At wide receiver, the team wants to get faster and tougher. Both wide receiver Joey Galloway and Ike Hilliard have slowed down and have had their share of injuries. Neither receiver is overly physical. Not every wide receiver has to block like Michael Clayton to stick around, but they at least have to have the jets, which is something that Galloway and Hilliard both lost.

At linebacker, the Bucs want to get bigger, faster and more physical. Brooks' strength is operating in space and making open-field tackles, not shedding blocks, especially on the verge of turning 36 years old. Brooks has slowed down considerably over the past couple years and is not the striker he was in his prime. The same could be said of Cato June, who is even lighter than Brooks and not as physical. Both Brooks and June are ideal coverage linebackers, but the run fits will be different in Jim Bates' defense and a player like Bart Scott or Michael Boley might be better suited for the defense, in addition to Quincy Black and Geno Hayes, who is quite a striker. The team is very high on Black and Hayes.

I want young LBs.They can get one at 23 but i am hoping they traded up in the top 3 with Cassel and try and get Aaron Curry.

Simple answer? No.

He is a 1-gap, small, speed linebacker (who has lost some speed). He doesn't fit a 2-gap system (whether it be 4-3 or 3-4). The Patriots may switch from 4-3 to 3-4 at times, but they 2-gap 90% of the time.

Brooks is simply not a fit for the Pats. I knew a thread like this would develop, but usually people never stop to think if the proposed player actually fits the Pats system.

Of the players the Bucs released, only Galloway could potentially fit the Pats (Dunn isn't as good at Faulk at this point). But I don't know if Galloway has the flexibility that Gaffney has (though he'd be an upgrade talent-wise if he did). That would leave him as a back-up at Moss' position. Probably not worth it.

So, I'd pass on all 4 without much thought.

J D Sal

id be willing to bet this move was made in an attempt to get haynesworth for starters. AND maybe, they want cassel too. who knows. maybe we will find this out friday am

We should just start a whole new forum for the "Let's sign whoever gets cut" posts. Seriously...it doesn't matter who it is...Derrick Brooks, Baker, Marvin Harrison, Lawyer Milloy, Michael Vick...Every single time someone gets cut you can always count on the "Should we sign him?!" thread...Always fun...

We should just start a whole new forum for the "Let's sign whoever gets cut" posts. Seriously...it doesn't matter who it is...Derrick Brooks, Baker, Marvin Harrison, Lawyer Milloy, Michael Vick...Every single time someone gets cut you can always count on the "Should we sign him?!" thread...Always fun...

Well, the Jets just released Coles.....

If we want a Derrick Brooks type player, we could consider adding either Jon Vilma (different experience, but similar athlete), or draft Southern Miss OLB Gerald McRath, who is an amazing athlete with a true love, appreciation and passion for the game.

Coles was released!I heard he was whining about his contract.I dont know why Coles wants big money.He isnt a number 1 receiver.I wouldnt mind giving him a look as a second wr if Gaffney is not back.Off course it has to be a pay-cut.

Dunn had 1,116 total yards and 2 TD's last year.

Taylor had 664 total yards and 1 TD.

Just saying. I don't know honestly know which is better, but Dunn has better rec. yards - more of a dual threat..

Also, I have a friend who's a Bucs fan and he love Galloway - believes his speed remains ridiculous. Maybe he's the opposite side deep threat we always wanted and could be had for nickels. Probably be a better value than Marvin ever would if we want a vet who brings something to the table.

Galloway is, what, 38 years old and missed almost all of last year with a foot injury, to say nothing of his hamstrings which are basically rubber bands at this point. I can't imagine that he'll continue playing.

Dunn actually had more carries than Taylor did last year (Taylor missed the last three games of the season). I don't think Taylor's got anything in the tank either, but Dunn's similar to (but not as good as) Kevin Faulk; he'd be superfluous for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back